Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How did you lose weight and keep it off? (Poll)
1  2  Next

How did you lose weight and keep it off?
Atkins/Paleo diet (high protein, high fat, low carb)  
 10%  [ 4 ]
Ornish/Whole foods diet (low fat, high fiber, unprocessed)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Intermittent fasting  
 10%  [ 4 ]
Dukans/Fast Metabolism diet (restrictive, mainly protein and veggies)  
 8%  [ 3 ]
Intuitive eating  
 27%  [ 10 ]
Support group (with or without calorie counting)  
 5%  [ 2 ]
Lots and lots of exercise  
 24%  [ 9 ]
Bariatric surgery  
 13%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 37

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 7:28 am
If you successfully lost weight and kept it off for some time, what helped you do it? Was it a structured diet? Which one? Did you attend a support group? Did you have surgery? Please explain, if you don't mind.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 8:37 am
What about a low calorie diet?

Eating whatever but keeping under maintenance amount in order to lose weight.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 8:44 am
You need to qualify what is considered keeping it off.

I ran a poll a few years ago like this (on a different forum) and my qualifications were losing over 30 lbs for 5 years.

I'm curious to see this poll to compare.

I have never maintained my weight loss ever since having kids. By the time I lose baby weight, I'm usually only at that weight for a few months to a year before I get pregnant again.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 8:49 am
Gut microbiome diet

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 8:59 am
Is there really any other way than life style changes? Plz tell me how I can go on a diet for a month, go back to my previous eating habits, and keep the weight off.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:17 am
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
Is there really any other way than life style changes? Plz tell me how I can go on a diet for a month, go back to my previous eating habits, and keep the weight off.

Cut your calories by 300-400 daily. Once you've lost the amount required, start eating at maintenance which shouldn't be much different than it used to be.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 10:22 am
It hasn't yet been 5 years, but I've B"H had a very good experience with intermittent fasting over the past 1.5 years (even though I accidentally clicked intuitive eating in the poll).

lamplighter

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 11:00 am
Weird that intuitive eating is an option. iE is anti diet and strongly discourages intentional weight loss.

Most people who go the IE route gain weight.

hodeez

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 11:08 am
Intuitive eating with intermittent fasting. But I did it in between pregnancies so Idk if it counts as keeping off the weight. With that and exercise I got to a pre-marriage weight

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 11:14 am
Weight watchers
Why isn’t that an option?
It’s not a diet since you can eat anything but you just have to learn portion control.
I kept off the weight I lost for years.

WaterKissed

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 11:18 am
You missed one option. Obsessing about food intake and literally starving.

tweety1

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:00 pm
Jewish version of south beach diet

lucky14

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:18 pm
Lower calorie/ lower fat eating. Lots of veggies and fruits. Very limited deserts but at least one small treat a day so I don't feel deprived.

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:21 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:

What does "lifestyle changes" even mean"? Plenty of people are already on a pretty healthy lifestyle and are no longer able to make any positive changes, but are still fat.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you successfully lost weight and kept it off for some time, what helped you do it? Was it a structured diet? Which one? Did you attend a support group? Did you have surgery? Please explain, if you don't mind.

I go to a nutritionist (the one we are not allowed to name on Imamother lol), and I love it. Have kept the weight off for a few years already.

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 1:15 pm
Intuitive eating saved my sanity, helped me lose weight, keep it off, go off most dairy, and control my hypoglycemia without effort once I did the work to understand the approach BH BH BH!!!! Dieting had been taking over my life. I’m so grateful Hashem guided me to this method. Don’t know how I would manage without it.

However I do have to say I am also grateful to Hashem that He bentched me with my body type. My friends with PCOS fight their bodies over every ounce!! (I used to be chubby but BH BH intuitive eating helped with that, but I don’t know if it would have worked with a diff body type. I am in awe of those people who work so hard.)

otstud

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 1:17 pm
I think exercising is the way to go, but it has to be sweaty, and has to be various types and until getting to a healthy bmi, it has to be often- like 4-6 days a week 2x a day. I think the biggest contributor to weight gain is desk jobs or overall sedentary lifestyle. ( of course majorly overeating will also contribute.)

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 2:08 pm
I lost 20 lbs. cutting out white carbs and sugars. I've kept it off. I still need to lose more. It'll happen one day but I need to follow a food plan that I can keep over the long haul.

Tof Umachol

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:25 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Jewish version of south beach diet

Is this an Atkins type plan (with little to no carbs, high protein and high fat)?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:28 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Weird that intuitive eating is an option. iE is anti diet and strongly discourages intentional weight loss.

Most people who go the IE route gain weight.

From what I have heard, with IE people gain at first, but then ultimately even out at a healthy weight for their body type.
Is that not true?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise