Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Need help with dvar Torah

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:57 pm
I was asked to speak this shabbos to a group of women at a shabbos sheva brachos. Something short.
Something related to Noach.
I looked around a little but did not feel inspired.
Any leads or ideas?
TiA

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 4:07 pm
I just wrote this one but it has to do with Breishis. Maybe you can try to tie it to Noach too? Like Noach and his children had to rebuild the whole world after the mabul …

In this past week’s parsha, Parshas Bereishis, right after Chava is created, Adam and Chava are given their very first commandment. Perek Bais, Pasuk Chaf Daled states – Al kain yaazov ish es aviv v’es imo, v’yidabek b’ishto… Man should leave his father and mother and cling to his wife. Rabbi Lau asks in his autobiography, why does this pasuk start with a negative. If Hashem is giving his first command to the couple, maybe it could have started off rosier by saying – have a wonderful life with your wife, which should probably entail leaving your father and mother?
Rabbi Lau gives a drash on why the pasuk is structured this way. How does a young couple know how to treat each other and live together peacefully? They only know how to do this by emulating the home life of their father and mother. Therefore, Hashem tells them to take leave of their father and mother with the lessons and the building blocks of a Jewish home that they have seen from their parents, and only then will a man be able to properly cling to his wife and build a strong Jewish home.
Rabbi Lau continues and states that “Yaazov” also has the language of “Izavon” which means inheritance. The young couple inherits the modeling that the parents have so diligently embodied, and this allows them to carry on with building a beautiful bayis neeman b’yisroel.
It is our blessing to the chosson and Kallah that you both take along the lessons that you have seen in your parents’ homes and use them as you go forward on your journey. Kallah, you certainly have fantastic role models in your parents and grandparents, and while we don’t know the Chosson’s family so well, from what we have heard they are also tremendous role models.
Im Yirtzeh Hashem we should continue to share in many more simchas.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 4:13 pm
I love it! Thank you so much! I also have a great mashal that can go along with this.
I never heard the word Izavon. Do you know where it says that word?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 4:16 pm
You’re welcome! Hope it’s not for the same couple Smile

It means “bequest, inheritance” like yerusha. You can look it up on the internet - how to say bequest in Hebrew, how to say inheritance in Hebrew - or just Google the Hebrew word “izavon”

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 7:00 pm
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:
You’re welcome! Hope it’s not for the same couple Smile

It means “bequest, inheritance” like yerusha. You can look it up on the internet - how to say bequest in Hebrew, how to say inheritance in Hebrew - or just Google the Hebrew word “izavon”

Your couple already had sheva brachos?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:47 pm
I just wanted to thank you. I used this vort as the basis for my talk and it went over very well! Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics