Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
List of gap year Yeshivas Israel?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:42 am
My husband has ADHD and he went to Derech Etz Chaim in Yerushalayim he had a good time there.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:55 am
[quote="amother [ Beige ]"]You think Ma'alei Giboa is yeshiva lite? You are seriously misinformed. Where are you getting your information? Here are some facts about it:

1. Americans are entirely integrated with Israelis. All classes are in Hebrew. That includes Talmud, Halacha, Jewish philosophy. No mollycoddling of Americans as happens in Gush. It's Hebrew from day 1. You sink or you swim. They're careful about whom they admit, so most swim. But there are always some Americans who leave.

2. The American kids who go there are brilliant and self motivated learners. Last year's bunch consisted of kids who will be attending Princeton, Penn, Yale, U Chicago, Hopkins, Brown. The lowest-ranked school into which the American kids were going to matriculate was Washington University of St Louis, and that's a really hard school to get into compared to schools like YU or state schools favored by many religious kids like Maryland and Binghamton. Ma'ale Gilboa kids are the furthest thing from "lite" learners that you can imagine.

3. The program is intense and demanding. Gemara learning is done using the pioneering and intellectually demanding Revadim (layers) method that Rav Bigman, Rosh Yeshiva of Ma'ale Gilboa, and his colleagues have pioneered, in which the text is carefully dissected to expose the additions of the different editors -- the Stammaim -- of the Gemara. There is also deep study of Jewish philosophy and Tanach.

4. Religiously, the program is more to the left than other yeshivot. That doesn't mean that the rabbanim or students are less careful about Halacha. It does mean that anyone can express any opinion, even if it disagrees with the 13 ikkarim of the Rambam.

5. Politically, the program is much more liberal than others. Rav Yehuda Gilad, one of the heads of Ma'alei Gilboa, served as member of Knesset of the center-left party Meimad. As a whole, the yeshiva is committed to social justice. With all this, the Israelis who go to Ma'ale Gilboa, which is a hesder yeshiva, actually a shiluv yeshiva, serve in the army for 3 full years, unlike in most hesder programs, where they serve in the army for 1.5 years. The reason is that they feel it is their responsibility to not get out of responsibility just because they are learners. And like most religious boys who join the army, they almost all serve in combat units.

6. The yeshiva treats the boys like adults. Nobody is going to force someone to get up to daven or to go to a shiur. But the nature of the program is such that the boys do it because they are inspired to love K'lal Yisrael, Eretz Yisrael, and the Torah, and to want their wonderful time in yeshiva to mean as much as possible.

Signed,
A proud mother of a Ma'ale Gilboa alumnus[/quot

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, especially today!! Please forgive me that was not all my intention! It was just a suggestion to look into based off of someone who I know that attended this yeshiva. In fact this young man is a very smart and motivated put together individual who got into Columbia and Harvard! However he has varied interests and did not spend full days learning Gemara on a regular yeshiva schedule. He very much enjoyed traveling and music and other aspects of his year in Israel.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:05 am
Appreciate everyone’s feedback! Just to give a little more background on my DS. He is very smart and a great learner. He will probably go to YU honors. He is in all AP classes including Gemara but he HATES the long hours. He is doubling up on ADHD medicine to be able to sit and learn for mishmar. He wants something f different. He does have varied interests. Loves sports, stocks, business etc.

sara_s

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:11 am
I heard Ohr Sameach has a gap year touring program

I'm guessing it's this https://www.derechinstitute.com/about-us.html

The curriculum looks interesting.
I don't know if it provides college credits though

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:22 am
sara_s wrote:
I heard Ohr Sameach has a gap year touring program

I'm guessing it's this https://www.derechinstitute.com/about-us.html

The curriculum looks interesting.
I don't know if it provides college credits though

This schedule looks very promising! Added it to the list!

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Appreciate everyone’s feedback! Just to give a little more background on my DS. He is very smart and a great learner. He will probably go to YU honors. He is in all AP classes including Gemara but he HATES the long hours. He is doubling up on ADHD medicine to be able to sit and learn for mishmar. He wants something f different. He does have varied interests. Loves sports, stocks, business etc.

Does his high school have an Israel advisor? That will be your best resource. It sounds like TVA, Ashreinu or maybe even Eretz HaTzvi or Orayta could work for him.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:11 am
TVA and Eretz HaTzvi schedules look pretty long. Any reason they are specifically suggested? Would love to hear more if anyone knows more specifically how these programs run. Thank you.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 6:10 pm
Bump

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 6:33 pm
Lev Hatora sounds perfect, there is learning but many opportunities for creative outlets. There is a mix of academics. I know the students are extremely happy there.

Goldengrl327

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 5:33 pm
Hi! My son is in a very similar situation. He’s in a MO high school now and wants to go to Israel next year. My older son went to Lev HaTorah and loved it but my younger son does not want that type of program.

He wants a MO, coed program that is also Yeshiva-lite that focuses on travel and some learning. He’s more into hashkafa than textual learning. There don’t seem to be many programs that fit what he wants without being too liberal and not much oversight (and attracting kids that border on not religious).
Bar Ilan XP may be an option if you want college credits but it is coed.

What I’ve heard about Ashreinu is that it’s a “sporty” school (meaning kids who are more into sports tend to go there). Granted, kids that aren’t into sports go there too but the gen pop are sporty.

What I’ve been finding out is that anything outside of a “”Yeshiva” will most likely be coed.

Good luck!

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 6:19 pm
https://yeshivasmatisyahu.org/
I don't know if this what you're looking for. Boys there learn as little or as much as they want to. No pressure just a lot of positive reinforcement. Rabbi Fisher is amazing. Lots of staff. Possibility of getting college credits too.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 6:21 pm
Shaalvim?

crbc

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 6:32 pm
If you have FB , this is a great group for gap year parents https://m.facebook.com/groups/.....earch

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 6:33 pm
b94race wrote:
Hi! My son is in a very similar situation. He’s in a MO high school now and wants to go to Israel next year. My older son went to Lev HaTorah and loved it but my younger son does not want that type of program.

He wants a MO, coed program that is also Yeshiva-lite that focuses on travel and some learning. He’s more into hashkafa than textual learning. There don’t seem to be many programs that fit what he wants without being too liberal and not much oversight (and attracting kids that border on not religious).
Bar Ilan XP may be an option if you want college credits but it is coed.

What I’ve heard about Ashreinu is that it’s a “sporty” school (meaning kids who are more into sports tend to go there). Granted, kids that aren’t into sports go there too but the gen pop are sporty.

What I’ve been finding out is that anything outside of a “”Yeshiva” will most likely be coed.

Good luck!

Bar Ilan XP sounds amazing and my DD really wanted to go there. The program was perfect. When she looked a little farther into it, haskaficly the kids were not who she wished to surround herself with. Definitely inquiring about that and make your decision with your eyes wide open.

What about Orayta? As I said, I have a DD but my friend sent her son there.

Goldengrl327

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 6:45 pm
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:
Bar Ilan XP sounds amazing and my DD really wanted to go there. The program was perfect. When she looked a little farther into it, haskaficly the kids were not who she wished to surround herself with. Definitely inquiring about that and make your decision with your eyes wide open.

What about Orayta? As I said, I have a DD but my friend sent her son there.

For my son, all the yeshivas (from Orayata, Ohr Shraga, Lev, etc) they all have long days of learning and night Seder, which he doesn’t want.

I agree that you have to go in with your eyes open and question everything. From what “type” of kids are coming to the program to what happens on “off” shabboses.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 8:34 pm
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
https://yeshivasmatisyahu.org/
I don't know if this what you're looking for. Boys there learn as little or as much as they want to. No pressure just a lot of positive reinforcement. Rabbi Fisher is amazing. Lots of staff. Possibility of getting college credits too.

This seems interesting. Thanks for posting. Is it known as an alternative Yeshiva?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 8:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This seems interesting. Thanks for posting. Is it known as an alternative Yeshiva?

This is the best place ever!!! Highly recommend like the best ever
Don't know what you mean by alternative?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 3:24 am
By Alternative I mean does it have a reputation for taking boys who have issues? My son is a great student and learner he just can’t sit all day especially in the evenings when his medicine wears off.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 3:55 am
My son attended Yeshivat Har Etzion and I can confirm that the learning is wonderful but intense. The boys get very little sleep (6 hours if they go to bed immediately when night seder ends at 11:10). There are about 14-15 hours of learning.

I have heard nice things about Torah Tech and was impressed with the kindness of the faculty at Lev Hatorah. You might also consider Eretz Hatzvi, which is in Jerusalem. The pressure seems less intense there and the rabbaim were really impressive , but you should make sure with all programs that he likes the hashkafa. TVA sounds like another good choice.

I was also surprised that night seder is a real thing and not optional. I asked one program director when the boys sleep and was told "they go to sleep when they are tired." That turned out not to be fully accurate and he did not go there.

Good luck to your son and hope he finds a program that works for him. Last year, there were many Zoom calls for both students and parents in December through February to meet staff members and learn about the programs. YU has a department that can answer some of your questions https://www.yu.edu/israel-program.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 4:24 am
Torah Tech does sound very interesting but my son doesn’t want to be in Tel Aviv.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children