Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Baby Clothes for Winter - I don't understand what I'm seeing
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:09 am
I've long had this weird dichotomy between what the stores sel,l and what I dress my babies in. IDK if it's just me but 3/4 of the stuff they sell for babies don't work for my babies. For example, my babies are long and thin so pants mostly don't fit, sweaters tend to run wide/bulky so they just bunch up, shorts/bubbles look strange with long skinny legs sticking out. That's besides the fact that in the summer my babies are cold in shorts since there's AC wherever we go, but OTOH if I take baby to a simcha, s/he just looks funny wearing warmer clothes in the summer so I stick to long knits or cottons.

Now my baby is BH crawling already and standing up already. All the stores are selling these gorgeous 2 piece knits and I'm looking at these clothes thinking how cute my baby would look in them - but only for exactly 3 minutes because crawling in a pair of knit leggings will shred those leggings faster than I can buy a new one. Never mind those they sold in the summer in white or tan. After the first wear they'd be hopelessly gray never to look nice again no matter how much I scrub them with Shout. Those knees, I mean! How do people have their crawling kid dressed in light colors?

My current issue that's making me wonder what is it - is it me or the stores, is everyone crazy or am I? - is that I am shopping for baby's winter wardrobe. I want two pieces, not stretchies because she'll be walking soon iyh and even now, pulling herself up, I don't want the stretchies to make her slip and slide. But mostly I'm seeing ribbed cotton sets, and I'm wondering, does no one care for the kid to be dressed a bit more warmly? I know we have heating indoors but there's still always a chill in the air and then when we go out, it can be really cold outdoors and in the car (till it warms up). I want to buy warmer sweater tops and matching leggings. But I don't see that being sold anywhere. Maybe I just don't know where to shop? I went to three stores yesterday and I saw 2 piece sets either too fancy to be practical for everyday (like fine knits), or with pants (not leggings) so that it wouldn't fit right on my skinny jimmy kid, or thin cotton ribbed stuff.

And of course I don't want to spend through my nose. Some of these sets were priced at 45-65 bucks (in the cheaper, lower-end stores) and it literally hurt my heart that a tiny 9 month old needs such expensive clothes. I am used to spending 15-20 on a top and about 10 on a pair of leggings and that's for a nice outfit.

Can someone help me with where to shop, or what to buy, or post links of what I should look for, or in any other way help me to figure out what will work for my baby?

Zehava

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:14 am
I find bodysuits and leggings most practical for the crawling stage. Two-piece knits belong in the carriage, not on the floor.

chick567

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:18 am
Look online at traditional stores like Carters, Children’s Place, Oldnavy.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've long had this weird dichotomy between what the stores sel,l and what I dress my babies in. IDK if it's just me but 3/4 of the stuff they sell for babies don't work for my babies. For example, my babies are long and thin so pants mostly don't fit, sweaters tend to run wide/bulky so they just bunch up, shorts/bubbles look strange with long skinny legs sticking out. That's besides the fact that in the summer my babies are cold in shorts since there's AC wherever we go, but OTOH if I take baby to a simcha, s/he just looks funny wearing warmer clothes in the summer so I stick to long knits or cottons.

Now my baby is BH crawling already and standing up already. All the stores are selling these gorgeous 2 piece knits and I'm looking at these clothes thinking how cute my baby would look in them - but only for exactly 3 minutes because crawling in a pair of knit leggings will shred those leggings faster than I can buy a new one. Never mind those they sold in the summer in white or tan. After the first wear they'd be hopelessly gray never to look nice again no matter how much I scrub them with Shout. Those knees, I mean! How do people have their crawling kid dressed in light colors?

My current issue that's making me wonder what is it - is it me or the stores, is everyone crazy or am I? - is that I am shopping for baby's winter wardrobe. I want two pieces, not stretchies because she'll be walking soon iyh and even now, pulling herself up, I don't want the stretchies to make her slip and slide. But mostly I'm seeing ribbed cotton sets, and I'm wondering, does no one care for the kid to be dressed a bit more warmly? I know we have heating indoors but there's still always a chill in the air and then when we go out, it can be really cold outdoors and in the car (till it warms up). I want to buy warmer sweater tops and matching leggings. But I don't see that being sold anywhere. Maybe I just don't know where to shop? I went to three stores yesterday and I saw 2 piece sets either too fancy to be practical for everyday (like fine knits), or with pants (not leggings) so that it wouldn't fit right on my skinny jimmy kid, or thin cotton ribbed stuff.

And of course I don't want to spend through my nose. Some of these sets were priced at 45-65 bucks (in the cheaper, lower-end stores) and it literally hurt my heart that a tiny 9 month old needs such expensive clothes. I am used to spending 15-20 on a top and about 10 on a pair of leggings and that's for a nice outfit.

Can someone help me with where to shop, or what to buy, or post links of what I should look for, or in any other way help me to figure out what will work for my baby?

Just look at Zara and h&m.
Buy footless stretchies/ PJs, so she doesn't slip up.

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:21 am
Target.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:22 am
No need to spend at that age.
Kohls, Target, Walmart make the cutest tops and leggings.
Shein also has some nice things. My baby is 13 months old and I got some really good quality shabbos stuff there.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:23 am
Either cheap clothes to crawl around in, or extra pair of joggers over outfit that gets taken off when you go out

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:23 am
I went to the local stores before yomtov. Couldn't find a single thing I liked.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:24 am
I put them in regular leggings and cotton tops at that age. White undershirt with snaps on the bottom under any outfit for as long as they’re in diapers. I shop at target, H&M, old navy, Zara, etc. For shabbos, more of the same, slightly nicer. For simchas, idk rarely happens.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:29 am
I have this. Fits so nicely and good quality material. I size down because I like it snug.

https://api-shein.shein.com/h5.....02976

Great weekday top. Pair with leggings from Kohls or Target. I love the jumping beans (kohls) and Cat and Jack (Target)
https://api-shein.shein.com/h5.....74432

Nice warm and thick shabbos top for baby girl.
https://api-shein.shein.com/h5.....17824

Basic and good quality. Pair with any cute printed leggings.
https://api-shein.shein.com/h5.....55840

All of the above are stuff I own. Love them all.

jflower

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:34 am
Goldenrod, I love your baby's outfits. Adorable!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:36 am
Zehava wrote:
I find bodysuits and leggings most practical for the crawling stage. Two-piece knits belong in the carriage, not on the floor.

How are bodysuits warm?

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:36 am
I babysit.
I hate when parents dress their kids in very, very warm sweaters, sweatshirts.
My house is not that cold, even in the winter. Even if I keep my heat low, it's still 65° or so.
These heavy stuff make the babies sweat so badly. Cotton long sleeve and long pants with socks is just fine. I prefer a onesie undershirt underneath so that the shirt pulls and the belly is not exposed. But that's me.
Put on a hat, coat, extra blanket outside.
Really no need to wear such heavy stuff indoors in heated houses

Zehava

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How are bodysuits warm?

I don’t need them to be warm when I’m home with the heat on. But there are bodysuits in all kinds of fabrics. And you can always put on a sweater on top of it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:37 am
chick567 wrote:
Look online at traditional stores like Carters, Children’s Place, Oldnavy.

Can you link anything specific? I looked at childrens place and HM and didn't really find anything. Then again maybe I don't know what to look for. I'd love examples to see.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:39 am
amother [ DarkOrange ] wrote:
Just look at Zara and h&m.
Buy footless stretchies/ PJs, so she doesn't slip up.

I did. HM has thin stuff, tons of cotton, ribbed henleys, and sweatpants which are way too big/wide for my baby, and their sweaters are wide with cut out necks. Again, if you can link specific examples, I can see. Maybe I just don't know how to shop

amother
Thistle

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:40 am
This with a cute bodysuit underneath.
https://www.aliexpress.com/ite.....L9nB7

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:40 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I went to the local stores before yomtov. Couldn't find a single thing I liked.
I don't need to like it. It needs to work for me and my baby. Fit right, not get dirty or torn easily, and be warm-ish.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you link anything specific? I looked at childrens place and HM and didn't really find anything. Then again maybe I don't know what to look for. I'd love examples to see.

Carter’s is my favorite for babies.

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:45 am
You just have to find which brands fit your baby’s figure, oh, and stay away from the Jewish stores. I buy gap, Carter’s, target, H&M
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics