Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
I work as a manager in corporate America, AMA!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:32 am
Smile

Mommy1:)

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:53 am
Do you make 6 figures? What kind of work life balance do you have?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:07 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:
Do you make 6 figures? What kind of work life balance do you have?

Nope to 6 figures, and work-life balance is not as good as I would like, but it's ok. I've had worse in other jobs, so it really comes down to the specific department and leadership team.

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:08 pm
Do you live in an area where there are jobs in a frum environment available, or no?

What type of degree (if any) do you have?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:13 pm
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
Do you live in an area where there are jobs in a frum environment available, or no?

What type of degree (if any) do you have?

No, the only jobs in a frum environment here are in education.

I have 2 masters degrees, and one is an MBA.

Mommy1:)

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:17 pm
do you have kids? How do you do it?

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, the only jobs in a frum environment here are in education.

I have 2 masters degrees, and one is an MBA.

Thank you. Do you have potential for a 6 digit figure?

I am currently in a frum work environment, but thinking about moving to an area which there are little to no frum work opportunities. I wonder if it'll mean a paycut for me, with only a BA in business.

amother
Azalea

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:20 pm
How did you manage the past month with so many holidays

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:25 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:
do you have kids? How do you do it?

BH yes. It's very hard, I try to only do the things that are most important for me to do on my own (talking to my kids), or the things that I do well and efficiently. Everything else waits for someone else to do it. Organization, charts, rewards for the kids, team effort. I don't think I'm doing it (aka juggling) as well as I could potentially, but I'm doing the best that I can.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ Azalea ] wrote:
How did you manage the past month with so many holidays

I saved up all of my vacation time and sick time. I don't get to go on vacation because there aren't enough days for the yomim tovim around the year. (not complaining, working this job is my choice).

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I saved up all of my vacation time and sick time. I don't get to go on vacation because there aren't enough days for the yomim tovim around the year. (not complaining, working this job is my choice).

I work in a non-Jewish environment as well in a finance related field. Our company provides 20 PTO days (can be used for vacation or sick), plus 8 Paid Holidays (some useless to me like Thanksgiving and x-mas), and 6 Floating Holidays, which is becoming more common as there is now awareness for different cultures and religions. I use the 6 for Yomim Tovim and usually about 10 of the 20 PTO days, so are still left with time for a family vacation in the summer. I do work some of Chol Hamoed and half day on Erev Yom Tov, which is hard but doable. It also helps that I am able to work remotely, so if I have a kid sick or home from school, I don't have to take off.

This September was very hard, but the rest of calendar year 2021 was actually pretty good. Erev Pesach was on Shabbos, the first day was Sunday, and 2nd days was Shabbos-Sunday. Tisha B'Av was on Sunday as well. When calculating the number of days off, you have to look at the calendar year as a whole, not just Tishrei.

Just wanted to share that it is possible to take off for Yom Tov and still have vacation time in this kind of work environment.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:59 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I work in a non-Jewish environment as well in a finance related field. Our company provides 20 PTO days (can be used for vacation or sick), plus 8 Paid Holidays (some useless to me like Thanksgiving and x-mas), and 6 Floating Holidays, which is becoming more common as there is now awareness for different cultures and religions. I use the 6 for Yomim Tovim and usually about 10 of the 20 PTO days, so are still left with time for a family vacation in the summer. I do work some of Chol Hamoed and half day on Erev Yom Tov, which is hard but doable. It also helps that I am able to work remotely, so if I have a kid sick or home from school, I don't have to take off.

This September was very hard, but the rest of calendar year 2021 was actually pretty good. Erev Pesach was on Shabbos, the first day was Sunday, and 2nd days was Shabbos-Sunday. Tisha B'Av was on Sunday as well. When calculating the number of days off, you have to look at the calendar year as a whole, not just Tishrei.

Just wanted to share that it is possible to take off for Yom Tov and still have vacation time in this kind of work environment.

I think you have more PTO days than I do! But I also don't work on Chol Hamoed and Erev Pesach and Erev Sukkos.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 1:07 pm
Are you FFB or BT, and if BT were you in your position as you grew more frum? Did you work your way up to your current role, or did they bring you in at your current spot? My experiences in corporate can see this working for a BT who embraced as they grew or mgr brought in, but where I worked you'd never grow your way from entry level up as a frum person, they'd use your obligations and yom tov absences and indirectly even kashrut against you. Not a dig/doubting you, just truly curious to understand!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 1:43 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Are you FFB or BT, and if BT were you in your position as you grew more frum? Did you work your way up to your current role, or did they bring you in at your current spot? My experiences in corporate can see this working for a BT who embraced as they grew or mgr brought in, but where I worked you'd never grow your way from entry level up as a frum person, they'd use your obligations and yom tov absences and indirectly even kashrut against you. Not a dig/doubting you, just truly curious to understand!

FFB - I even cover my hair with a scarf. I always thought they would use those things against me - but then I saw they hire and promote individuals from other religions - even those who stop to pray at work 5 times a day - and I realized that the only thing standing in my way is myself! So now I dress the way I want to (no heels, long skirts/dresses, scarf, long sleeves, etc), eat my own food even at company events (pre-covid), and take my vacation time on all the days I need to. I may have been rejected as a candidate from other roles due to being true to myself, but that's ok - Hashem put me where I needed to be.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 1:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
FFB - I even cover my hair with a scarf. I always thought they would use those things against me - but then I saw they hire and promote individuals from other religions - even those who stop to pray at work 5 times a day - and I realized that the only thing standing in my way is myself! So now I dress the way I want to (no heels, long skirts/dresses, scarf, long sleeves, etc), eat my own food even at company events (pre-covid), and take my vacation time on all the days I need to. I may have been rejected as a candidate from other roles due to being true to myself, but that's ok - Hashem put me where I needed to be.

that is awesome! I'm happy for you!

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 1:52 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:

I'm FFB and worked in corporate America for 15 years before I got married.
I was able to work my way up and I was never discriminated for taking time off for chagim or for kashrut.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 2:08 pm
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
I'm FFB and worked in corporate America for 15 years before I got married.
I was able to work my way up and I was never discriminated for taking time off for chagim or for kashrut.

I wish there was a way for us to "meet"! Sometimes I think I'm alone on an island in this type of role. Nice to know that isn't the case!

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 2:11 pm
What does corporate America mean? 🙈

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 2:18 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
What does corporate America mean? 🙈

I did a google search and see that can have a derogatory connotation - not how I intended it. I was saying that I work for a large corporation in the USA. Not Jewish owned - in fact I'm the only religious Jew employed here, and there are only a small handfull of individuals who "identify" as Jewish at this company.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 2:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Awesome! I wear a sheitel, but tichels during WFH... I admire your courage!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics