Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Formula intolerance- please help with ideas!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 1:26 am
My baby is exclusively being bottle fed.

I had thought reflux was originally the only issue so we got her medicine which after a week or so finally started helping. In the meantime though she continues to be fussy to a whole new level. She is extremely uncomfortable and is always kicking her legs and moving around if she’s not crying. She does not sleep well because of this and during the night she can go hours without getting more than 5 minute increments of sleep because she appears so “restless”.
You literally can see that she’s experiencing pain.

I tried a few different type of “sensitive” formulas but the problem doesn’t get better. I try to burp her as much as possible but nothing helps.

My question is - I’ve heard in the past of specialty formulas like neocate, elecare, and a few others.

I tried doing research online but it’s starting to sound confusing between all formula options. I love my baby to no end Bh but this is becoming extremely difficult. I don’t think it makes sense how much pain she is in. I’m trying to find other formula options.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

(As much as I love my pediatricians office they’re really not a help when it comes to this. I feel like I need to do my own research)

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 1:34 am
Did you try Materna?
It's crazy expensive in the US, but worth it if you find.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 2:06 am
My baby really did not do well on milk based formula but when I switched her to soy formula she was fine. Did you try that?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 3:46 am
Go see a ped GI

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 3:47 am
Try mylanta for her stomach it really helped me baby. Obviously first confirm with your pediatrician

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 3:49 am
theoneandonly wrote:
My baby really did not do well on milk based formula but when I switched her to soy formula she was fine. Did you try that?

I didn’t because I heard from people it’s not health to give the soy based formula. But I’m starting to wonder if I should look into that option. She’s really in pain Sad

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 3:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I didn’t because I heard from people it’s not health to give the soy based formula. But I’m starting to wonder if I should look into that option. She’s really in pain Sad

My doctor told me to switch to soy. Ask your doctor what they think

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 4:58 am
I switched my baby to nutramigen and there was major improvement. Its annoying because its not kosher but definitely worth the hassle.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 2:03 pm
How old is your baby? Not to sound controversial and I don’t mean to intrude, but is there a reason she can’t be breastfed? Either by you (I think there are meds to stimulate milk production) or a milk bank. Some babies just need mama milk.

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 2:15 pm
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
How old is your baby? Not to sound controversial and I don’t mean to intrude, but is there a reason she can’t be breastfed? Either by you (I think there are meds to stimulate milk production) or a milk bank. Some babies just need mama milk.

why does she need to have a reason for not nursing her baby?

op goat milk and carrot juice.
they mimic the proteins and composition of breast milk.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 2:45 pm
I would say next step is to try soy, and then if that's no good try hypoallergenic formula (nutrimegen is brand name, Target has a generic, which is actually oud), and if that's still no good, there's super specialty ones.

You can also try prune juice If you think constipation might be the issue

overworked

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 2:51 pm
I used for my kids Similac® Alimentum® Hypoallergenic Infant Formula, for Food Allergies and Colic, Baby Formula

GLUE

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 2:58 pm
Did you try the Dr. Brown Bottle? I had a kid that needed special formula and that bottle, there are other bottles that are suppose to help that is the one we tried.

Formula is expensive and to make the matter more expensive you can't just buy samples and try it. It could take a good week to see if the formula is working.

My son did bad on Soy if your child does good, USE IT it is more unhealthy starving then using soy.

My nephew had reflex and needed A.R. or have his mother add rice to regular formula.
I also had a nephew that could not handle powder formula but was fine on liquid.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 3:02 pm
I had issues with my baby until we found a lactose free formula that worked wonders... There are so many reasons why a baby would be fussy.. oish

Momima

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 3:06 pm
One of my kids was very constipated and not comfortable on milk formula, switched to soy after a month got eczema from it. My pediatrician offered me samples of hypoallergenic formulas to try. Neocate kid gagged and vomited from. Elecare ended up working bh, eczema disappeared.
Try seeing if your Dr has samples to try.
Once you know what works you can get a letter from Dr that baby needs specialty formula and you can get wic checks for it which can help with the cost (as it is costly)

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 3:42 pm
I’m literally dealing with this right now. My baby is 6 weeks old and exclusively formula fed. We started him with enfamil gentlease and he was screaming in pain about 20 minutes post each feed. We got him tested and he has a diary allergy. We switched to soy. He’s extremely constipated and restless, has a rash on his chin. Doc said that since he’s gaining weight on it, we should keep him on it. He literally can not have a bowel movement on his own. We need to help him every time. Prune juice doesnt work and the only thing that helped was glycerin suppositories. Doc finally told me today to take him off the soy. We are now on neocate and just davening that it works for him. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics