Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Avg experienced software engineer salary nj

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 10:30 am
What is avg salary in NJ for software engineer
Not Jewish company. Mid size
20 yrs experience
Work remote
Excellent reviews
Work independently. Design, documentation, automated unit testing, installations.

I believe I’m grossly underpaid. Want to ask for new job title and salary raise. But not sure what is fair amount to ask. Plan to ask large increase. Want to make sure it’s appropriate.

proudmommy0f4

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 10:59 am
According to this site: https://www.indeed.com/career/.....es/NJ at least 100K. That sounds right to me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:34 am
It says more then 10 yrs is 136,000

Is that correct?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:36 am
I want to ask for 20% increase. Just wondering how crazy that sounds.
I know they need my work.
Otherwise I think I’d leave bec I think I could make 30% somewhere else.
Just would rather not leave bec I hate change.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:36 am
That sounds low for 20 years. I know people with less experience making at least 150

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:39 am
amother [ IndianRed ] wrote:
That sounds low for 20 years. I know people with less experience making at least 150

What location?

Avg in USA is 150. But Nj is lower.

HappyMom321

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:40 am
20 years experience? Definitely a lot more than 100k, I would think!!
I work for a NY company, so that does probably pay a little higher, but I make around 100k for 3 years of fullstack development experience (I have a CS degree too, but really experience is everything).
And with 20 years you should DEFINITELY be a Senior Engineer....
Go for it - ask for a promotion and a raise; you deserve it!

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What location?

Avg in USA is 150. But Nj is lower.

Nj

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:42 am
I make really little. And the company is so dependent on me.
Just not sure how high a percentage I can ask for without them laughing at me.

HappyMom321

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:48 am
I asked for about a 20% raise when I had only been working for 2 years.. I was sooo nervous, but I planned what I was going to say and I knew they were underpaying me, and I ended up getting it. It's a vulnerable thing to do, and it's REALLY hard, but you should know that you are in the right here and you deserve to be making a lot more money. Worst case hopefully they'll still give you a nice raise, just maybe less than what you're asking for. Tell them that you did your research and your value is much higher in today's market. If they value you and need your work, they should certainly be paying properly for it!
But I totally validate that it's so hard to do - I was shaking the whole time when I asked! And I'm like you; I really don't like change and did not want to get a new job lol... But you really should be making more; it isn't fair to you.

thanks

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:52 am
I also have a cs degree, Im in the field 25 yrs currently doing project management. I'm also grossly underpaid. However, I'm not full time so I enjoy the work-life balance, and I don't like change. One day I hope to get the courage.

Last edited by thanks on Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:53 am
In NY at the big companies salaries can be at least double what was mentioned in this thread.

HappyMom321

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:57 am
I'd really like to get into project management once I switch to part-time! Can I ask how you did that? Did you need extra training? Did you apply as a software developer and then switch, or you applied specifically for a management job?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:04 pm
Thanks everyone for your encouragement.
I really appreciate it.

For many reasons right now management is a mess and there is lots of turnover and change so I’m not positioned well in that sense. But I have a lose or grab it moment today. So figured I’d try now and it’s a no go try again when things are more stable.
Or leave.

HappyMom321

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:05 pm
Good luck!!!!!
Just remember to come across as confident that you are in the right, because you are and you know your value Wink

thanks

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 12:07 pm
HappyMom321 wrote:
I'd really like to get into project management once I switch to part-time! Can I ask how you did that? Did you need extra training? Did you apply as a software developer and then switch, or you applied specifically for a management job?

Years ago I worked for a big corporation. They did a reorg, and I was given project management tasks.
Id like to do some pmi training. Would probably help.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 4:48 pm
I’m getting confused.
Spoke to my boss. He agreed I’m very underpaid but not sure if he can help right now.

He asked me to document comps. And do research on salary .com. And list salaries in job listings.
It’s almost impossible to find salaries on job listings.

Depending on job description selected on salary.com ranges from 130-170k.
I’m trying to figure what is the most realistic. And find job ads for more then 90k

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 7:24 pm
Are you on the frum developers slack group? They've done surveys in the past with real world salary data (all anonymous though) would that be helpful?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 7:49 pm
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
Are you on the frum developers slack group? They've done surveys in the past with real world salary data (all anonymous though) would that be helpful?

I saw a survey like 1-2 yrs ago.

But I find it very hard to know bec of all the criteria.
Frum companies tend to pay high for developers (surprisingly) so it skews the data for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics