Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Raise Advice
Previous  1  2

ora_43

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 3:07 am
Beyond what other posters said, who can be bothered to get a concrete offer from another company every time you plan to ask for a raise?

Even if your skills are so in demand that you're basically guaranteed a better offer within weeks, that's still several hours of extra work applying, interviewing, etc - plus, the potential to burn bridges with the other company if they go through the whole process with you and then you back out at the end.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 10:33 am
ora_43 wrote:
There's no one-size-fits-all answer. I think the two most important questions are, how does your salary compare to the industry average, and what's the value you're bringing to the business?

If you were hired at a below-average salary, then a 20% raise might be very reasonable. If you're bringing in 30% more income than expected, a 20% raise would be reasonable.

If your salary is about standard for the work that you're doing, it would be a harder sell.
This, all of it!

amother
Cherry

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can it backfire and they'll just let you go? Any experience with that?

My in-laws pushed BIL to ask for a raise. Boss said no. BIL gave an ultimatum: raise or he walks. Boss said, "bye" He apparently wasn't as essential or as much of an asset to the place as he thought

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:22 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
My humble piece of advice..

Employers like employees who like their job. As much as you deserve your salary they also deserve hakaras hatov (assuming they treat you fairly)
I don’t think the approach of getting another offer will do well for you. Firstly, it’ll show a lack of investment on your end. Secondly it won’t do well long term for you at all. You can only try that once and then what?
What you want to do is have a frank convo with your boss.
I’m in the same position now… I started my job 2.5 years ago with a pretty decent salary for my field. The first year was COVID and we were closed a lot so I got a pretty small raise due to the circumstances which I totally understood. Then my boss raised me again with a small raise a few months later Bec he wanted me on the same raise schedule as all other employees. And it’ll be a year in a few months and I have been thinking about this a lot.

I don’t think percentages make any impact in the non corporate world. Especially with frum bosses and frum employees.

This is how I plan on going about it. I’m hoping for a very substantial raise.

A) I know I deserve it. I’m a very hard worker and really helped the company grow a lot. I’m dedicated and efficient
B) I’m there for a nice bit already and at this point have a lot more responsibility than I initially started with
C) the cost of living really has gone up and there is a severe shortage of capable employees and I know he doesn’t want to lose me

With those points in mind, I will say something like the following.

I really enjoy working here, the environment is wonderful and I really appreciate working with you and value the growth that the company is having.

We both know that I put my heart and soul into this company and have really contributed to the growth that we have seen.
In addition, living costs have really gone up all around. (I’m paying more for childcare food and cleaning help) and the market value for employees have gone up as well.
I’m hoping to get a significant raise for this coming year…

If he asks me a number I will say I have something in mind but prefer to first hear your evaluation on what you think is a fair raise at this point in my career.

If he comes back with the number I want or higher- awesome
If not- I can always then give my Number and say- this is what I had in mind can we get to that or at least closer…

Notice I said nothing about I could get more in another job, and didn’t come in as a power struggle and showed appreciation for what I currently have…

I think any fair boss would understand where an employee is coming from and if they are valued to the company would really try to work it out for them.

Thank you so much for this!
I just used this when I requested a (very, very large) salary increase. Our circumstances are a bit different, my company knows my worth BH, but I used some of what you wrote and also read your post to get into the right mindset right before.

My boss actually thanked me for not just showing up and telling him that I went looking elsewhere and presenting a counteroffer.

A little mentchlechkeit goes a long way.

I got the raise, BH.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:26 pm
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:
You don't need to lay all your cards on the table at once. That leaves you with no recourse. Amother tangerine makes great points. If it is as you say, that you're a valued employee, then you just may be surprised what they will offer to keep you happy. What have you got to lose by throwing the ball first in their court, and see what kind of offer they come up with? You can always play another card at a follow-up or later date. You had mentioned that you were worried that they'll think less of you if you mention another offer. If you come in with an attitude of trying to strong-arm them instead of starting off in a low key negotiation, it has a much greater chance of fulfilling your worries. Take it step by step.

Also, I don't think "they expect you to just take it and be quiet" is a correct assessment of the working world. Salaries and raises are negotiations. It is expected from both parties.

Also this. Great way to frame it!

You know when people ask if this site has helped them or its just negativity?
This is not the first raise help I've gotten, or interview help, etc.

Thank you imas!!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:27 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Thank you so much for this!
I just used this when I requested a (very, very large) salary increase. Our circumstances are a bit different, my company knows my worth BH, but I used some of what you wrote and also read your post to get into the right mindset right before.

My boss actually thanked me for not just showing up and telling him that I went looking elsewhere and presenting a counteroffer.

A little mentchlechkeit goes a long way.

I got the raise, BH.

You go girl!!! May this be a zchus for me to get the raise I want.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 8:15 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
You go girl!!! May this be a zchus for me to get the raise I want.

Checking in, did you ask for your raise yet?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics