Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Should I stick to the consequence? TIME SENSITIVE
Previous  1  2

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:06 pm
Maybe I am naive, but I don’t think most people are inherently evil and set out to test their parents for no reason.

How many times have so eaten a yogurt ever day for lunch, then bought a case to have absolutely no interest in them and then they expire in the fridge. It’s called a food jag.

I always serve my kids what they eat. I have a small family, so it is not a dozen kids with different preferences, but I may put away leftovers as someone above said, or offer frozen chicken nuggets or meatballs or turkey slices or peanut butter. My children are forced to taste new food, but you don’t have to eat what you don’t like.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:12 pm
OP I would have warmed it up but not given anything else. I’m so over Ellyn Satter. Idk if kids “test”, for sure not out of malice, but I know when mine says he “doesn’t like” something he gobbled up 2 days ago he’s often just getting stuck in his head. And no, I’m not offering yogurt or cereal or rice cakes. My kid would choose that every day and I’m not ok with that.That just reinforces their taste for processed, nutrient stripped food.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:13 pm
I think going to bed hungry is ok. I wouldn't force food or punish with food. My mother would literally serve us supper with a belt around her neck and I even though she hit us very often for many other things and gave us worse punishments than this, being forced to eat was a horrible experience. Because of that, I'm very easy about food and if my children don't want to eat, that's ok too. I'm more concerned with what they eat in a week than a particular day.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:25 pm
Picky eaters can be really challenging.
I also try to make sure there is one ‘safe’ food on the table. But it does get difficult when they decide they don’t like even that anymore.

For a while I used a 15 minute sand timer. My 5 year old had to sit at the table with us for 15 minutes. (We
try to eat dinner as a family every night, so everyone is at the table then) I couldn’t force her to eat anything but by sitting with us at the table without pressure she usually ended up eating something.

If you’re on Instagram Kids eat in colour has lots of good advice and tips for dealing with picky eaters.

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:27 pm
So all you wonderful ladies think that a 6 yr old who only wants cream cheese sandwiches, cereal and milk or yogurt for breakfast lunch and supper should be fed that food? No amount of “forceful encouragement” should be done? When will they ever expand their palate?

Meanwhile there is a lady on the dieting thread who can’t figure out what protein to eat bec she doesn’t like any fish or eggs. Dont know

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:47 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
So all you wonderful ladies think that a 6 yr old who only wants cream cheese sandwiches, cereal and milk or yogurt for breakfast lunch and supper should be fed that food? No amount of “forceful encouragement” should be done? When will they ever expand their palate?

Meanwhile there is a lady on the dieting thread who can’t figure out what protein to eat bec she doesn’t like any fish or eggs. Dont know

Nobody ever expanded their palate because of "forceful encouraging". Have you ever learned to like something after being forcefully encouraged? My husband was a severely picky eater for the first 10 years of his life. His palate ended up expanding when he grew up and realized he was bored of plain potatoes and wanted to like more foods or he would starve. Today, he eats what I cook (and he cooks too!): Brussels sprouts, meatloaf, broccoli, brown rice, mushrooms. There's almost nothing he won't try. In my opinion, there are few adults who eat only five foods, and if you ask people if they like the foods that they were "forcefully encouraged" to eat, the answer is almost always no. In fact, most people specifically avoid the foods they were forced to eat as a child.

Privet!

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 9:10 pm
...could you do research into sensory issues?
I know a lot of people who can't eat a lot of foods. As in, physically can't. Various sensory issues mean that the instant revolting feeling of a bad texture is overwhelming. I can't wear certain materials - even touching a material means I have to scrub my skin against something else. And, again, I know people who physically cannot handle certain foods in their mouths.

Your child might legitimately prefer starving to eating certain foods because his brain picks out the textures but can turn off/ignore the feeling of hunger.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics