Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Are you a Genius?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

DrMom

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 2:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How is it possible to add 18 to 12 and end up with one?

I thought maybe 18 could be interpreted as "one eight" (as in, a single eight = 8) to 12 (meaning "one two" = 2), and then that gives 8+2.

But that equals 10, not 1.

Even if we extend the 10 = "one zero," that gives 0, not 1.

Confused

youngishbear

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 2:12 am
18 days and another 12 days = one month?

(September, April, June, or November, obviously)

DrMom

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 2:26 am
OP wrote:
How is it possible to add 18 to 12 and end up with one?

a. The phrasing is odd. "End up with one..." One what? Why is the number "one" written out and the other numbers are written as numbers? Is that a clue?

b. An obscure but valid answer: 18+12 = 1 if you are working in modulo 29. Very Happy

youngishbear

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 2:32 am
DrMom wrote:
a. The phrasing is odd. "End up with one..." One what? Why is the number "one" written out and the other numbers are written as numbers? Is that a clue?

b. An obscure but valid answer: 18+12 = 1 if you are working in modulo 29. Very Happy

I don't know what your b answer means... but I often get stuck trying to parse these riddles. Sometimes it leads me to the answer, especially if the riddle hinges on wordplay.

The handshake one confused me because I was overanalyzing the phrasing instead of focusing on the obvious scenario.

"Prove that the amount of people in the world who shook the hands of an odd number of people is an even number."

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 4:11 am
Sorry ladies, I was MIA, close family wedding and all.

The correct answer was guessed by Nicole1 and Youngishbear. 12 days plus 18 days equals one month.

DrMom

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 4:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sorry ladies, I was MIA, close family wedding and all.

The correct answer was guessed by Nicole1 and Youngishbear. 12 days plus 18 days equals one month.

TMI

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 8:48 am
DrMom wrote:
TMI

Sorry. I know that was disappointing. Your answers were much better!

mum22

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:08 pm
John attended a party with his wife along with four other couples. Various handshakes took place between the 10 people in attendance (unfortunately, including between some of the men and women!). No-one shook hands with him/herself, nor with their spouse, and no-one shook hands with the same person more than once.

John asked each of the other 9 people how many hands they'd shaken, and to his surprise each person gave a different answer.

How many hands did his wife shake?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:50 am
mum22 wrote:
John attended a party with his wife along with four other couples. Various handshakes took place between the 10 people in attendance (unfortunately, including between some of the men and women!). No-one shook hands with him/herself, nor with their spouse, and no-one shook hands with the same person more than once.

John asked each of the other 9 people how many hands they'd shaken, and to his surprise each person gave a different answer.

How many hands did his wife shake?

4 (according to my cheshbon, he shook the same hands that his wife shook.)

mum22

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
4 (according to my cheshbon, he shook the same hands that his wife shook.)

Well done!

Another one:

A summit was arranged to take place at the UN between the leaders of the 24 largest countries in the world. Anxious not to cause any upset over seating arrangements, the maitre d' arranged for the leaders to all sit round one large circular table with 24 seats. The table was set up with name cards for each leader on his/her place.
On the day, all the leaders entered the room together, and all sat down at random places without checking the name cards.
The maitre d' had a look to see who had sat where, and saw that not a single leader had sat in their correct place! He then had the bright idea to swivel the table round until at least some of the leaders were in the correct place.
How many of the leaders is he guaranteed to be able to ensure is in their correct place just by swivelling the table?

Part 2: What about if it had been 23 leaders and not 24?

Tamari

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 5:37 pm
mum22 wrote:
Well done!

Another one:

A summit was arranged to take place at the UN between the leaders of the 24 largest countries in the world. Anxious not to cause any upset over seating arrangements, the maitre d' arranged for the leaders to all sit round one large circular table with 24 seats. The table was set up with name cards for each leader on his/her place.
On the day, all the leaders entered the room together, and all sat down at random places without checking the name cards.
The maitre d' had a look to see who had sat where, and saw that not a single leader had sat in their correct place! He then had the bright idea to swivel the table round until at least some of the leaders were in the correct place.
How many of the leaders is he guaranteed to be able to ensure is in their correct place just by swivelling the table?

Part 2: What about if it had been 23 leaders and not 24?

Lemme try......
He's guaranteed to have at least 2 leaders in their correct position.
My reasoning:
Since no one is in their correct position, each leader could be between 1 and 23 spaces away from their seat. Since there are 24 leaders, even in the worst scenario, at least 2 leaders must be the same amount of seats away from their correct seat, so table should be swiveled to align those 2.

mum22

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 5:54 pm
Tamari wrote:
Lemme try......
He's guaranteed to have at least 2 leaders in their correct position.
My reasoning:
Since no one is in their correct position, each leader could be between 1 and 23 spaces away from their seat. Since there are 24 leaders, even in the worst scenario, at least 2 leaders must be the same amount of seats away from their correct seat, so table should be swiveled to align those 2.

Well done!

Just realised I got Part 2 wrong. It should be: what happened if one world leader was in his correct place. How many could you guarantee then?

Tamari

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:27 pm
mum22 wrote:
Well done!

Just realised I got Part 2 wrong. It should be: what happened if one world leader was in his correct place. How many could you guarantee then?

Hmm... ur sure that was meant to be part 2? If one was in place, then all the rest could be between 1 and 23 spaces away from their seat, so you can't guarantee that by swiveling the table you'll even have more than one in place.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 9:29 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:

Was this ever answered?

mum22

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 1:30 pm
Tamari wrote:
Hmm... ur sure that was meant to be part 2? If one was in place, then all the rest could be between 1 and 23 spaces away from their seat, so you can't guarantee that by swiveling the table you'll even have more than one in place.

Yes, that definitely is Part 2!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:10 pm
In a certain town, there are only two clocks. One is in the home of Getzel. The other is in the town hall.
One day, Getzel's little son climbs on a stool and moves the hands of the clock and now it's ticking at the wrong time.
Getzel needs to reset the clock, but the only way to do it is by gauging it according to the clock in the town hall. However, the distance between his home and the town hall is quite far. By the time Getzel would return home to change his own clock, the hour would no longer be the same.
How can Getzel reset his clock properly?

mum22

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In a certain town, there are only two clocks. One is in the home of Getzel. The other is in the town hall.
One day, Getzel's little son climbs on a stool and moves the hands of the clock and now it's ticking at the wrong time.
Getzel needs to reset the clock, but the only way to do it is by gauging it according to the clock in the town hall. However, the distance between his home and the town hall is quite far. By the time Getzel would return home to change his own clock, the hour would no longer be the same.
How can Getzel reset his clock properly?

Set his clock to 12:00. Walk to the town hall and check the time, and walk back home.

The clock at home will now tell him how long it took to walk there and back, so he can simply add half of that time to the time he'd seen on the clock in the town hall.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:17 pm
mum22 wrote:
Set his clock to 12:00. Walk to the town hall and check the time, and walk back home.

The clock at home will now tell him how long it took to walk there and back, so he can simply add half of that time to the time he'd seen on the clock in the town hall.

Correct! The only thing I would add is that he has to walk at the same pace in both directions.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:44 pm
OK, here's a riddle that my father used to tell over...

Reuven, Shimon and Levi were traveling together. Since it was almost shabbos they had to stop over at an inn. They asked the owner of the inn if he had a safe they could keep their wallets in. The owner replied that there was a rental fee of $30 to put one object into the safe.

One of the men thought that this was a waste of money, so he suggested to the two other travelers that they should put their three wallets together into one bag. This way they could split the payment between the three of them. The other two men agreed and put their wallets into a single bag.

However, since the men were essentially strangers, they told the innkeeper not to return the bag to them unless all three men were present. The innkeeper agreed.

After shabbos, Reuvein approached the innkeeper and asked for the bag in the safe. The innkeeper said, "wait, you said I shouldn't return the wallet without all three of you present!"

The man replied that the other two guys were standing right there and called to them. The men waved from a distance, indicating that it's okay. The innkeeper went and retrieved the bag with the three wallets and handed it to Reuvein. Reuvein promptly exited the premises from a side door and disappeared.

A few minutes later, Shimon and Levi realized that Reuvein had not returned with the wallets.

They went to the innkeeper to ask them if the bag was still there. The innkeeper said that he returned the bag to Reuvein. They all realized that Reuvein stole the money.

Now Shimon and Levi demanded that the innkeeper compensate them for their losses. They claimed that the innkeeper had agreed not to return the bag unless all three men were there, and yet he returned it to Reuvein alone. He insisted that he saw them wave so he assumed that was good enough.

Shimon and Levi took the innkeeper to a din Torah. They both presented their side of the story.

In the end, the bais din ruled in favor of the innkeeper.

What was the innkeeper's defense?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:59 pm
I am male. If John's son is my son's father, what is the relationship between John and me?
He is my...?
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics