Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Did you regret traveling in your third trimester?
1  2  Next

Would you go on an exotic vacation in your third trimester?
Go for it! It might be hard but worth it!  
 30%  [ 25 ]
No, what if you need medical care?  
 32%  [ 26 ]
No, why travel if you’ll be exhausted to begin with?  
 13%  [ 11 ]
No, I’d never fly so late in pregnancy  
 23%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 81

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 9:22 am
I want to do a babymoon getaway, and for various reasons I couldn’t go until now. I’m starting my 7th month. I happen to be feeling pretty exhausted and slow-moving. I really wanted to go to cancun. Should we push ourselves to get one last getaway alone now or just wait until baby was born and take him along (I guess wait 6-12 months)?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 9:28 am
I would never travel internationally at that stage (during a pandemic yet!) unless I want to deliver in that country. We do baby moons that are a drive away. Last baby we did 33 week baby moon to Newport and BH delivered at 35 weeks.

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 9:31 am
I traveled in my 7th month with my first, although not with DH. He was away on business and my grandfather was looking for a travel partner. I checked with my OB who said flying was fine as long as it was not for more than X hours and that I should make sure to get up and walk around the plane at least once an hour. I insisted that we could only travel to someplace that had first world medical care available, both for my sake and my 80+ year old grandfather. We ended up flying to LA and it was a very nice relaxing trip. Who knew that an 80+ year old man on diuretics would be a perfect traveling companion for a 7 month pregnant woman?! Neither of us got annoyed at the constant bathroom stops because we both needed them. LOL

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 9:32 am
I drove solo to visit my family when I was about 35 weeks or so with my first. I'm glad I went but I don't recommend going alone. I was driving 4 hours on a well-serviced interstate with hospitals along the way (which I mapped out ahead of time just in case). The way there was fine, but the way back was really hard. I was exhausted and a 4 hour trip became closer to 7 because I had to keep stopping to rest. I was wiped out by the time I got home.

Fun fact: The trip was to visit my family, but it was motivated by a craving for a specific food from a specific restaurant in their city!! Oh, pregnancy! lol

amother
Eggshell

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 9:38 am
I wouldn't go anywhere that I wasn't willing to give birth.

When dh was a resident he had a patient (in the nicu) whose parents had come for a baby moon (uk-US) and were stuck in the US for 3 months. The husband had to fly back and leave his wife and baby or he would lose his job. The wife was by herself in a foreign country. It was not good.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 9:42 am
Never. Also all the really fun extreme activities I’d want to do are off limits when pregnant. What a waste for me in my opinion.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 10:07 am
No.

Went to Israel at 7 months with first.
Orlando beginning 8 months with second.

Dr said was fine. Just wear compression socks on plain and walk around a lot.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 10:11 am
It’s fine. I wouldn’t travel to a place I wouldn’t want to give birth in, but that’s about it. Now’s the best time to get some private time, I definitely wouldn’t purposely wait until after I gave birth.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 10:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want to do a babymoon getaway, and for various reasons I couldn’t go until now. I’m starting my 7th month. I happen to be feeling pretty exhausted and slow-moving. I really wanted to go to cancun. Should we push ourselves to get one last getaway alone now or just wait until baby was born and take him along (I guess wait 6-12 months)?

I traveled at this stage but within my country and with an understanding that we might just chill in the hotel and watch TV.

My state in pregnancy is very unpredictable so I know that there should be zero expectations.

It's a getaway to spend time together and not necessarily to enjoy the location. Judging by this, would you like to go to Cancun or somewhere local?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 10:32 am
I live in the tri-state area (US). Where could I go that is still beautiful and if necessary has good medical care? LA does seem very far. I’m also very exhausted so I probably won’t be doing much exploring. Somewhere with beautiful lodgings and good kosher food would be nice…

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live in the tri-state area (US). Where could I go that is still beautiful and if necessary has good medical care? LA does seem very far. I’m also very exhausted so I probably won’t be doing much exploring. Somewhere with beautiful lodgings and good kosher food would be nice…

South Florida is the obvious choice for good reason. Has all of the above and. A short flight

amother
Quince

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 11:02 am
I've flown for simchas. (Within US)
No I wouldn't fly to a country without good medical care, or a different language!

amother
Strawberry

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 11:33 am
Oops! Voted I wouldn’t fly in third trimester but meant 9th month. I flew in my 7th month and was to totally fine. (Did too much walking though and ended up in the hospital for a few hours due to crazy contractions but that had nothing to do with the flying) I’m happy we went away though.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 11:41 am
I’m all for stay home. Farm out the kids, get takeout and use paper, turn off your phone (except for emergency contact of where your children are) and enjoy the quiet of your own home and comfort of your own bed.
Let your friends and bosses think you went away so they don’t disturb.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 11:45 am
Yes anytime before 8.5 months. I’m currently 6 months and might be flying to Israel next week. Business class seat on flight, and won’t be doing any strenuous exploring. I basically told dh what difference does it make where my back hurts.

doctorima

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 11:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Another vote for not leaving the US in your 3rd trimester. Florida checks your boxes, but if you want something different, I'd go for Palm Springs (JetBlue has direct flights). Chabad of PS (there are 2 Chabads there to check with - PS and Rancho Mirage) should have take-out available, unless you want to fly into LAX and pick up food there, though that requires you to drive 2 hours to PS. Phoenix could be another option that's a little closer and has more flight and food options.

amother
Winterberry

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 12:54 pm
I wouldn't go to Cancun. I went once with my family on a Pesach program. Someone in my family lost an inhaler. With both a hotel concierge and a program advisor helping us, we still couldn't get one to use while there. And the way we would have gotten one was to pay out of pocket, over $500. Add a pandemic along with the language barrier, and no way.

Also, while in theory I would fly during the 7th month, if you're feeling very shleppy, I wouldn't fly for many hours. It can upset your equilibrium, overall and in your legs, and you'll spend your whole vacation recovering from it. I had a flight once during pregnancy and a whole plan to walk around and stand up. During a four hour flight, more than half was turbulence and a storm. Add on takeoff and landing, and the seat belt sign was on almost the whole time. I only got to stand up once.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 1:47 pm
I have read storys of women giving birth on planes

tichellady

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 5:16 pm
I did and didn’t regret it but it was not during the pandemic

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 10:25 pm
If I were in America, I would consider flying to Israel, because for an uninsured person to give birth in an Israeli hospital, I think it costs roughly 800 shekels (very, very cheap). But if I were Israeli, I would need a very good reason to fly to the US while in my 3rd trimester, because I would not want to get stuck with a $40,000+ hospital bill 😐

Giving birth in a country with a different language would personally not deter me. I'm adventurous and could handle that. I'd want to go somewhere with good maternal care and cheap though.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics