Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
If you took the vaccine, will you take the booster?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:16 am
Obviously those who never took the vaccine won't get the booster. But if you felt comfortable enough to take the vaccine the first time around, are you still comfortable enough to take the booster? I took Moderna around 6 months ago. I'm not sure if I'll be taking the booster.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:24 am
Yes I will.

salt

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:25 am
I did. Pfizer - in Israel.

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:26 am
I will, once it's approved and I'm past the time limit. Just like I get a flu vaccine yearly. (Moderna, may be 8 months)

My mom already got her booster, as did lots of Israeli friends I know.

The first set didn't hurt me, and I see no reason to think a booster would.

I interact with a lot of unvaccinated (younger) children, and I want their parents to feel comfortable that their kids are interacting with me. I want the littlest to be able to sit on my lap when they want.

No big deal.

Last edited by imasinger on Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:29 am
no
I do not plan to take it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:35 am
Jewishmom8 wrote:
no
I do not plan to take it.

What changed your mind that you were willing to take the first shot but not the booster? I'm on the fence and leaning towards no.

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:38 am
my kids all had covid a few months after I got the shot and I checked recently and I still have high antibodies.
I was told my a dr that I am fine and have the best immunity.

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:47 am
Sure do! (And I’m expecting and being pregnant puts me at higher risk of covid in general)

rzab

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:50 am
I already did (I live in israel). And I am so happy I did. My daughter now has Corona and this situation would have been so much harder to navigate if I either had to be in bidud or if was nervous about my immunity level.

watergirl

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:50 am
Yup! I’m actually getting it tonight.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:58 am
I was forced to get the vaccine and will only take the booster if forced. Praying it won't come to that.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:58 am
I have an upcoming appointment with the doctor and plan to ask about the flu shot and Covid booster. I am hesitant to take both on the same day.

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:03 am
Got my booster in August. Glad to be better protected against covid.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:09 am
I just got this in my inbox, and copied the abstract here.
The booster offers protection: this is from an Israeli study looking at preliminary results from over one million people over the age of 60 who received boosters, published in the NEJM.

Abstract
BACKGROUND
On July 30, 2021, the administration of a third (booster) dose of the BNT162b2 messenger RNA vaccine (Pfizer–BioNTech) was approved in Israel for persons who were 60 years of age or older and who had received a second dose of vaccine at least 5 months earlier. Data are needed regarding the effect of the booster dose on the rate of confirmed coronavirus 2019 disease (Covid-19) and the rate of severe illness.

METHODS
We extracted data for the period from July 30 through August 31, 2021, from the Israeli Ministry of Health database regarding 1,137,804 persons who were 60 years of age or older and had been fully vaccinated (I.e., had received two doses of BNT162b2) at least 5 months earlier. In the primary analysis, we compared the rate of confirmed Covid-19 and the rate of severe illness between those who had received a booster injection at least 12 days earlier (booster group) and those who had not received a booster injection (nonbooster group). In a secondary analysis, we evaluated the rate of infection 4 to 6 days after the booster dose as compared with the rate at least 12 days after the booster. In all the analyses, we used Poisson regression after adjusting for possible confounding factors.

RESULTS
At least 12 days after the booster dose, the rate of confirmed infection was lower in the booster group than in the nonbooster group by a factor of 11.3 (95% confidence interval [CI], 10.4 to 12.3); the rate of severe illness was lower by a factor of 19.5 (95% CI, 12.9 to 29.5). In a secondary analysis, the rate of confirmed infection at least 12 days after vaccination was lower than the rate after 4 to 6 days by a factor of 5.4 (95% CI, 4.8 to 6.1).

CONCLUSIONS
In this study involving participants who were 60 years of age or older and had received two doses of the BNT162b2 vaccine at least 5 months earlier, we found that the rates of confirmed Covid-19 and severe illness were substantially lower among those who received a booster (third) dose of the BNT162b2 vaccine.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:15 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
I just got this in my inbox, and copied the abstract here.
The booster offers protection: this is from an Israeli study looking at preliminary results from over one million people over the age of 60 who received boosters, published in the NEJM.

Abstract
BACKGROUND
On July 30, 2021, the administration of a third (booster) dose of the BNT162b2 messenger RNA vaccine (Pfizer–BioNTech) was approved in Israel for persons who were 60 years of age or older and who had received a second dose of vaccine at least 5 months earlier. Data are needed regarding the effect of the booster dose on the rate of confirmed coronavirus 2019 disease (Covid-19) and the rate of severe illness.

METHODS
We extracted data for the period from July 30 through August 31, 2021, from the Israeli Ministry of Health database regarding 1,137,804 persons who were 60 years of age or older and had been fully vaccinated (I.e., had received two doses of BNT162b2) at least 5 months earlier. In the primary analysis, we compared the rate of confirmed Covid-19 and the rate of severe illness between those who had received a booster injection at least 12 days earlier (booster group) and those who had not received a booster injection (nonbooster group). In a secondary analysis, we evaluated the rate of infection 4 to 6 days after the booster dose as compared with the rate at least 12 days after the booster. In all the analyses, we used Poisson regression after adjusting for possible confounding factors.

RESULTS
At least 12 days after the booster dose, the rate of confirmed infection was lower in the booster group than in the nonbooster group by a factor of 11.3 (95% confidence interval [CI], 10.4 to 12.3); the rate of severe illness was lower by a factor of 19.5 (95% CI, 12.9 to 29.5). In a secondary analysis, the rate of confirmed infection at least 12 days after vaccination was lower than the rate after 4 to 6 days by a factor of 5.4 (95% CI, 4.8 to 6.1).

CONCLUSIONS
In this study involving participants who were 60 years of age or older and had received two doses of the BNT162b2 vaccine at least 5 months earlier, we found that the rates of confirmed Covid-19 and severe illness were substantially lower among those who received a booster (third) dose of the BNT162b2 vaccine.

What bothers me about this is that there isn't even the slightest acknowledgement of the possibility of vaccine injury and side effects. Do I think it's rear? Absolutely! But it exists and I have the right to know. I also think serious covid is rear in certain age groups.

I just want to make an informed decision based on ALL the facts. I think both sides are being untruthful. Many of the people against the vaccine exaggerate its harmful side effects. And those pro the vaccine act as if harmful side effects don't exist. So frustrating.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Obviously those who never took the vaccine won't get the booster. But if you felt comfortable enough to take the vaccine the first time around, are you still comfortable enough to take the booster? I took Moderna around 6 months ago. I'm not sure if I'll be taking the booster.

I also took moderna 6 months ago and am eagerly awaiting my booster..wish it were already available!!!

octopus

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:22 am
No. I took moderna. I thought it would last a year. I'm not taking a shot every couple of months. I've already had a moderate case of covid (not fun). I feel like because I had to take two shots I've already had a booster (as opposed to Israel's one for recovered covid patients).

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What bothers me about this is that there isn't even the slightest acknowledgement of the possibility of vaccine injury and side effects. Do I think it's rear? Absolutely! But it exists and I have the right to know. I also think serious covid is rear in certain age groups.

I just want to make an informed decision based on ALL the facts. I think both sides are being untruthful. Many of the people against the vaccine exaggerate its harmful side effects. And those pro the vaccine act as if harmful side effects don't exist. So frustrating.

The study cited was for a specific age group (>60) and was meant to asses a very particular question (by how much is protection against covid increased as a result of the booster shot?).

The authors are not "dishonest" if they don't address every possible aspect of covid in their study. They are providing data. Lawmakers and officials should take this study, along with other studies addressing other issues, and use it to craft intelligent policy.

BTW, I seriously doubt that covid injuries outweigh the benefits of covid protection for most people >60 years old.

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:34 am
I had a very strong case of COVID last March (2020). I got the shot because I wanted to visit vulnerable relatives. I'm not going to rush to get the booster.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:40 am
DrMom wrote:
The study cited was for a specific age group (>60) and was meant to asses a very particular question (by how much is protection against covid increased as a result of the booster shot?).

The authors are not "dishonest" if they don't address every possible aspect of covid in their study. They are providing data. Lawmakers and officials should take this study, along with other studies addressing other issues, and use it to craft intelligent policy.

BTW, I seriously doubt that covid injuries outweigh the benefits of covid protection for most people >60 years old.

I agree. I didn't explain my point better. It's not about this or any particular article. I believe in general governments around the world are pushing the vaccine and not being transparent with the risk vs reward. Again, I think the vaccine is overwhelmingly safe. But so is covid in young healthy people. Do you think governments are openly acknowledging vaccine risk? Do you think the risk reward merits 5 year olds taking the vaccine is the government as now recommending?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics