Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
If you had the vaccine would give it to your 10 yr old?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 12:49 pm
If the government mandates that schools must require a vaccine for young children, would you give it?

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 12:58 pm
For the average healthy child. No, children have a much higher risk of vaccine injury than virus injury. And vaccinated can spread it the same. When the 30 year trials are done your 10 yr old will only be first getting anywhere near an age bracket of higher risk.

amother
Bergamot

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 1:39 pm
I would consult with our pediatrician. He did recommend that our 13 year old get the vaccine given her particular health concerns and we made sure she was vaccinated before camp with no issues.

AIUI, the vaccine doses for 5-10 year olds will be smaller than the ones for teenagers and adults so you can't go by the adult data for risk.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 1:45 pm
Absolutely not. My kids have Covid now. I only know because they happened to get tested and tested positive. They are perfectly ok bh. Even if they would’ve had a cold or fever I still wouldn’t want to vaccinate them when it’s so new. Please Hashem let there not be mandates on kids Covid vaccine...

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 1:47 pm
no
our dr told us that he does not recommend it for children.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 1:48 pm
Homeschool all the way

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 1:54 pm
No! I wouldn’t give it to my child… shocker- I wouldn’t take it myself either.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 1:58 pm
My 12 yr old was just tested for antibodies which he has. My pediatrician told me that it’s not necessary for my son to get the vaccine.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 1:59 pm
I absolutely would,with the blessing of my pediatrician.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 2:01 pm
I am not in favor of giving it to healthy children although the government claims that approximately 600 American kids have died of Covid.
OTOH, that same approximate number died every year of measles before the measles vaccine was developed, I have a feeling that some of the children who died were born prematurely to infected mothers. In America, this is part of the infant mortality rate but this vaccine is not currently advised for neonates. Obesity in children is a risk factor and it's a shame that nothing can be done to possibly help these children before they become seriously ill.

cnc

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 2:02 pm
No - not at this point.

elisheva25

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 2:05 pm
Absolutely not !
But than if it becomes a mandate , what do we all do … homeschool ?

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 2:07 pm
yes homeschool
or move to a state/place where it is not mandatory and rather based on case by case with pediatrician and parental discretion

Elfrida

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 3:07 pm
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
AIUI, the vaccine doses for 5-10 year olds will be smaller than the ones for teenagers and adults so you can't go by the adult data for risk.

In Israel we're already giving it to a very few 5-11 year olds with severely compromised immune systems. They have to jump through a lot of hoops to get a permit. The dose that Pfizer reccomend for this age group is 0.1ml - one third of the dose that teenagers and adults are getting.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:16 pm
Only if they were high risk enough that the vaccine was less risky than the virus. For healthy children, the virus is more lethal, but for children with certain risk factors, the virus is more lethal.

It is a huge mistake to treat everybody the same instead of looking at individual risk factors.

VACCINATE EVERYONE is like saying GIVE EVERYONE INSULIN! INSULIN SAVES LIVES! CHILDREN HAVE DIED FROM NOT HAVING ENOUGH INSULIN SO EVERY CHILD MUST BE INJECTED WITH INSULIN!

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:27 pm
My pediatrician recommends it for all kids, based on awful long covid and other alarming studies...so yes

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 1:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If the government mandates that schools must require a vaccine for young children, would you give it?

I'll be honest, yes I am nervous to give it to my 10yo.

But our 10yo will probably be one of the first in line to get it, as soon as it is approved. Here's why.

1. The vaccine has risks and is new but so far has been seen to be relatively safe. The vast majority of side effects appear within the first two weeks after the vaccine is administered, and those that don't, appear within the first 6 weeks.

2. The number of children suffering PIMS has risen sharply (at least in Israel), and PIMS is hard to spot and can be deadly. And it often appears in kids who didn't even know they had covid.

2a. We are already low on ECMOs and there's no guarantee one will be free if ch"v one of our kids lands in the hospital and needs it.

3. We know covid has long-term effects for a large percentage of adults and at least 1 in 10 children. And as the pandemic wears on, we're seeing more and more data showing that covid's risks don't end when the PCR turns negative.

4. We also know that the older the child, the greater risk of long covid and other covid-related complications. So a 10yo is at greater risk than a 5yo, for example. And healthy kids with no pre-existing conditions are getting hit hard (as are their adult peers).

5. If the 10yo goes to school and isn't vaccinated, there is a HIGH likelihood that the 10yo will bring it home to the younger children. I would rather NOT have to choose whether to be home nursing sick kids back to health, or be at the hospital beside a child who needed intervention due to covid complications, ch"v. The only way to avoid such a scenario is to avoid exposure or ensure that anyone who is regularly exposed is also protected. And yes - the vaccine is highly effective at preventing transmission. It's not perfect but it works pretty well, and like everyone says, you can't eliminate risk, you can only manage risk. So the vaccine seems to be a decent compromise between no one leaving the house, and no one being hospitalized ch"v.

6. Whatever side effects may occur after the vaccine are much more likely to occur after covid itself. And even if the vaccine doesn't prevent covid entirely, we're happy if it just takes the teeth out, and prevents covid from being any worse than a common cold.

Besides, the 10yo has been green-eyed jealous of DH and I since we got our vaccines in February. I don't think it'd go over well if we said no, after the FDA approved it for emergency use. I mean, you're talking about a kid who was brainstorming ways to create a safe vaccine, before Pfizer and Moderna presented their Phase 1 findings.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 1:37 am
southernbubby wrote:
I am not in favor of giving it to healthy children although the government claims that approximately 600 American kids have died of Covid.
OTOH, that same approximate number died every year of measles before the measles vaccine was developed, I have a feeling that some of the children who died were born prematurely to infected mothers. In America, this is part of the infant mortality rate but this vaccine is not currently advised for neonates. Obesity in children is a risk factor and it's a shame that nothing can be done to possibly help these children before they become seriously ill.

Those children who died were sick, like with cancer.

Don't even think they died from Covid - think they died with Covid.

As far as I know, no HEALTHY child has died of Covid.

But a few hundred children die every year from the regular vaccines.

And the Covid Vaccine has more deaths and injuries then ALL the regular vaccines for 30 YEARS!

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 1:40 am
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:

This.

I would consider vaccinating my 5-11 year olds, but I absolutely don't think the government can legally mandate it.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 1:40 am
amother [ Azalea ] wrote:
yes homeschool
or move to a state/place where it is not mandatory and rather based on case by case with pediatrician and parental discretion

Yes - Florida, here we come!

Or Texas.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics