Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Allergic to NY?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:25 am
My child has allergies and eczema. Eczema is pretty well controlled and we are careful to keep him away from allergens. I very rarely have to give him benadryl. His face is smooth most of the time.

Recently I traveled to NY for a simcha over a weekend. Almost immediately I noticed that his face started getting puffy. The first morning, he woke up with a blochy face. The rest of the visit was more of the same. We were being super careful to keep him away from his food allergens, yet by the time we came home 3 days later, his face was a mess, his eczema patches was enflamed and bloody and his face and lips were all puffy.

I had to give him benadryl several times because he looked so itchy and I thought it would help. (I don't think it did.)

I also remembered that the last 2 times I flew to NY with him, his eczema also got very bad in a matter of hours. I assume this is environmental allergies. He seems to be allergic to NY.

I have a simcha coming up in 2 weeks. I am so not looking forward to bringing him again and having his eczema flare up again. But I can't leave him home.

Anyone else has this? What can I do to prevent this? Thinking to maybe skip the simcha...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 12:18 pm
airplane air is very drying. I'm sure that doesn't help

octopus

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 12:21 pm
Yes I think the air quality is bad here.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 12:39 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
airplane air is very drying. I'm sure that doesn't help

Yeah it started on the plane already.
Is there anything to do to prevent it?
His lips were so cracked and bleeding.

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 12:41 pm
I'm also allergic to the environment of NY but not in the same sense!! (I thought that's what you meant in your thread title)

Sorry not helpful.. it does make sense to be allergic to the environment in certain areas, as there are different dander pollen molds etc that his system is not used to. It might go away over time if you ended up moving there etc. Also, I've heard it can be very helpful to eat local honey, but obviously if it's an urban area that is probably not available.

Stars

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 12:42 pm
To the air in NY maybe. The air quality is known to be terrible here.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 12:45 pm
I get more l asthmatic after flying, especially when I go to Manchester. Don’t have problems in london BH. Also I guess the card and industry around the NYC area is quite bad. Try the north of Canada or Vermont or nobody cares Wyoming and see if he’s ok there. I mean mb just as case study

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 12:50 pm
Is there anything to do? Or am I doomed to have a repeat?
This upcoming simcha will require us to be in NY for 4 days. I am dreading it already. He was horrible on the plane, cried the whole time...but I can't leave him behind as it's a full time job keeping him away from his allergens.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:49 pm
I wish I could be more helpful but I have a child with fpies, regular allergies and celiac. When off all trigger foods my child is calm and sweet and no excema, very soft clean skin. Whenever we travel no matter how hard I try, regardless of how good we are with trigger foods my child screams the entire flight, they are miserable the entire trip regardless of the city to the point where I am so miserable every time I had to travel that I just stopped traveling altogether.

It was not an easy decision to make but I've sent my husband to all family obligations by himself, he has taken the other children depending on occasion but since I've stopped traveling my life has been so much calmer and I have been much happier and less stressed out. Yes I've missed family simchas and have spent shabbos, and yt alone by myself with this child while my husband spent it with family. And Regardless of how depressing it sounds it was soooo much better than spending a couple days in a different city with this child.

I really feel your pain and it is a terrible and really difficult situation. I wish I could have been more helpful but I wish you alot of luck in deciding what to do.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 1:41 am
Why don't you speak to an allergist to see whether you can take any preventative measures?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics