Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Should I tell on him
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 10:43 am
We had a fire in our very small house. One of the rich people in the community told us he is going to pay to renovate our house. We got a contractor from the community who did a nice job and our house is much nicer than ever before.it cost more that 100,000. We added a bathroom in the closet and completely build our kitchen frim scratch. we started having problems with our plumbing right away weird noises from the pipes at first now after a year we had a minor flood and our toilets our clogged often. I’m afraid it is going to get worst. Btw the fire didn’t touch our eye lumping. We got several plumbers come and all said that the plumbing done is extremely awful. They all said only the new plumbing is a problem. We realized that the contractor has a plumber but he didn’t use him he used one of the Mexican workers who is not a plumber to do the plumbing. The contractor denies everything and said the plumbers just want to make money and the plumbing is ok. The contractor said we probably have a broken pipe in the front of our house. He screamed at me even that we are accusers. Dh is very close to the rich guy who paid for it and doesn’t want to complain about the contractor because he think the rich guy will get upset that we complain and the contractor is going to deny it. Should I go and complain to the rich guy. We need to pay 15,000 to fix it.

Mamushka

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 10:52 am
I would fix it and not say a thing.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 10:58 am
I wound mention it. And if I was the one who paid for someone’s work I would certainly want to know that the person I hired did a terrible job.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:00 am
I have these two thoughts in my mind and can’t decide. We have to take a loan snd this contractor comes from a very rich family.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:08 am
My thoughts are… was it worthwhile to put $100,000 into renovations of a very small home?

Is the “rich man” a relative? Very generous of him not only to pay to repair the damage but to renovate the house much nicer than before.

Was there insurance? Is this not in the US?

If the “rich man” paid for everything then beggars can’t be choosers and I don’t think it’s fair to complain. I think you should cover the repairs yourself.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:16 am
What does the contractor coming from a rich family have anything to do with the situation? He shouldn't get paid because he comes from a rich family??

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:20 am
This sounds like a very weird situation. I would not get the person who paid for it involved, unless he is friends with the contractor and therefore should be warned about any potential issues that can arise from this (like a lawsuit)

How do you know that real plumbers were not used and it was one of the contractors workers? Do you have proof?

From a legal aspect, if you were to sue the contractor to cover the new repair costs due to his own negligence, he would have to provide proof that he used a licensed plumber, which he’d only have if he actually paid one to do the work. If not he would most likely be held liable and have to cover the repairs.

But I’m not sure what’s going on fully.

1. Did you get any insurance money from the fire? Why was it not out towards the home renovations?

2. Did you get any insurance money from the flood? The insurance company would do their own investigation into whose fault it was and who is responsible if it’s truly because the plumbing was done incorrectly. They would go after whoever was responsible themselves to cover the repair costs and you’d likely even get your deductible waived.

3. What does the contractors finances have to do with anything?

4. Did you choose the contractor or was it the man who financed the renovation? If it was the man, was it someone he suggested or did he hire him without your input?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 1:14 pm
The contractor is friendly with the rich guy. It’s a small community. The rich guy usually helps us a lot so it’s kind of this type of relationship. We didn’t pay for anything. We didn’t get any insurance money. It’s not fair that the contractor is cheating us. We spoke the contractor plumber with his permission. He told us the contractor will take care of us because there is a problem. The contractor came later and just denied everything. Several plumbers came and said the plumbing a בלגן and whoever did it doesn’t know how plumbing works. We need to take a loan and redo the plumbing. I know that we might need to swallow the pill. The contractor is just taking advantage of the situation.

Optione

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 1:25 pm
Would you have paid $15K in renovations had the rich guy not stepped up? If yes, then consider it money you would have had to spend anyway...

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 1:30 pm
Why don’t you let your friend who paid for it know about the situation in the following manner:

“Hello wonderful friend,

We want you to know that the contractor you used to install the new plumbing hired a non licensed handyman to do the work instead of using a licensed plumber.

We are now having flooding and clogs which were not an issue prior to renovation. All plumbers we called down told us it’s from the new work and that it was installed wrong.

We are not asking you to pay for the repairs, we just wanted you to be aware in case you would like to pursue this.

Please be in touch and again, we cannot that you enough for all you've done for us”

Ball now in your friend’s court.
Hope it goes well.
Much hatzlacha.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 3:44 pm
amother [ Raspberry ] wrote:
Why don’t you let your friend who paid for it know about the situation in the following manner:

“Hello wonderful friend,

We want you to know that the contractor you used to install the new plumbing hired a non licensed handyman to do the work instead of using a licensed plumber.

We are now having flooding and clogs which were not an issue prior to renovation. All plumbers we called down told us it’s from the new work and that it was installed wrong.

We are not asking you to pay for the repairs, we just wanted you to be aware in case you would like to pursue this.

Please be in touch and again, we cannot that you enough for all you've done for us”

Ball now in your friend’s court.
Hope it goes well.
Much hatzlacha.

Idk why dh is reluctant do do that. He has special relationships with this guy and doesn’t want to bother him or think he will get angry that we complain. The contractor is going to deny and say that we make up stuff snd probably put other stuff on us.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 3:45 pm
Optione wrote:
Would you have paid $15K in renovations had the rich guy not stepped up? If yes, then consider it money you would have had to spend anyway...

No I wouldn’t. Even with the fire it wasn’t major. We didn’t need to do anything. The rich guy just wanted to fix our house to begin with because it was very old and run down but we could have lived in this situation it wasn’t horrible.

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 3:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Idk why dh is reluctant do do that. He has special relationships with this guy and doesn’t want to bother him or think he will get angry that we complain. The contractor is going to deny and say that we make up stuff snd probably put other stuff on us.

In order to get around that, add to the letter, "Here are the written reports of two other plumbers who looked at the problem.... When I raised the subject with Contractor, he got very upset. Again, we're not asking you to take any action, but wanted you to know."

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 3:52 pm
Contractor can't deny that job is not done well if you're having problems. You're not making up the problems.
Who's responsible? That's another question. Usually when contractors does a job he takes responsibility for it.
I had something that needs fixing in my house. New construction but a few years later. Everybody agreed it needed to be redone. Builder said he followed the plans. I called the architect who of course told me it was builder's fault. Then I emailed both at the same time, I don't really care who's fault it was,I just want it fixed. And called a few times until builder agreed to redo the job.

Be persistent, call contractor a few times and ask him what he would do if it was his own house.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 4:30 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Contractor can't deny that job is not done well if you're having problems. You're not making up the problems.
Who's responsible? That's another question. Usually when contractors does a job he takes responsibility for it.
I had something that needs fixing in my house. New construction but a few years later. Everybody agreed it needed to be redone. Builder said he followed the plans. I called the architect who of course told me it was builder's fault. Then I emailed both at the same time, I don't really care who's fault it was,I just want it fixed. And called a few times until builder agreed to redo the job.

Be persistent, call contractor a few times and ask him what he would do if it was his own house.

He is not a fair person. He told us we need to fix it because there is probably a broken pipe in the front of our house. He is being very rude and didn’t respond to anything the one few times he responded he was very rude and mean. I know he is afraid of the rich guy though. Idk if I should just borrow 15,000 and fix it. It is a time bomb basically. I don’t want my house to get flooded. Right now one toilet is clogged and the pipes are making weird noises.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 4:31 pm
listen to your husband and let it go

borrow the money and fix it

sorry you are dealing with this

sometimes being right is not the way to go in some situations big picture and machlokes for sure not worth it especially in the situation you describe

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 4:48 pm
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
listen to your husband and let it go

borrow the money and fix it

sorry you are dealing with this

sometimes being right is not the way to go in some situations big picture and machlokes for sure not worth it especially in the situation you describe

I think I will have to just pay for it. This is just so unfair. I just can’t believe a person can be so mean and greedy. He knows we don’t have money and he just won’t fix it.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 4:52 pm
I am so sorry
It does sound so unfair
Your husband has raised really valid concerns
So in that case were it me I would try very hard to think I got 100000 renovation for 15000
Not minimizing just would try to do that for myself
Hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 5:40 pm
This sounds like a lashon hora shaila to me. Maybe you should ask a rav if this falls into the category of l’ toeles.

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 5:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have these two thoughts in my mind and can’t decide. We have to take a loan snd this contractor comes from a very rich family.

Take the money out of the equation and look at the issue without it from all angles. Now decide what's the right thing to do. Money tends to color our perspectives and doesn't let us be objective.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics