Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Uncomfortable about giftedness

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:17 pm
My gifted child has ASD/ADHD and has lately been feeling very uncomfortable with anyone calling attention to his giftedness. At the end of last year, the school said they wanted him to skip 5th grade and go into 6th but he had a total meltdown, so in the end, we agreed (parents, administration, and him) that he would mostly stay in his year, but go into the 6th grade class for his two best subjects. So that's what is happening now, but he's lately been very...I don't know, he just really doesn't like people calling attention to how smart he is. He's even said a few times "I wish Hashem didn't make me so smart".

It makes me sad to hear him say that. I do get why being gifted can make things hard (I am gifted as well). Also, he doesn't really have social problems. He only has two friends, but he's happy with that, he says more than that would be too exhausting. And the other boys in the class are very nice to him, bh never experienced any bullying. So while social stuff is difficult for him, he's not a social outcast at all. I guess I just want him to be at peace with who he is, and feel good about himself.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:34 pm
I would not recommend a child skipping into a higher class unless he has strong enough social skills to be able to handle the move. I personally had an experience at that age where I was put into an older class for one subject. I found the experience so stressful that I begged to be put back in my regular class. I was much happier after my request was granted.

There are ways that a gifted child can be challenged in his own class. I also had an experience with a child of mine who is gifted and the teacher claimed that since the child didn't complete all their regular work they did not need to be given challenging work. Gifted 2E child was bored and not interested in doing pages of rote math problems, so they had a miserable school year.

Many people don't realize that it can be as challenging for gifted students in school as it is for students at the other end of the intellectual curve.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)