Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary in Israel - “accepted” Hechsherim

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:34 am
Not a Halacha quality, a cultural 1.
My daughter is a “regular “ middle of the road Yeshivish girl in Seminary in Israel.
Her father & I are not married.
She wants to know which hechsherim in Israel she could eat.
I asked her for specific details, for ex regarding restaurants , stores, products etc.
She said she just wants to know in general.
I’m looking for a middle of the road approach that will not raise eyebrows amongst her friends , teachers , hanhala etc.
For various purposes I don’t have a Rav that I can ask this to, or any friends or relatives.
Thank you in advance .

salt

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:42 am
She should ask one of her rabbanim at the seminary.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:45 am
Best be asking people in the seminary.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:51 am
The seminary should have given them general advice about Israeli hashgachas.

This year (and next) the situation is complicated by shemita. That is going to affect almost all produce and consequently eating in restaurants and cafes.

Do you stick to chalav Yisrael? And does the seminary expect them to only use chalav Yisrael products while in Israel?

Bedatz Eidah Chareidit, Rav Rubin, and She'aris are almost universally accepted. These use imported produce during shemita, and don't accept chalav akum. There are a lot of others that are more nuanced. She should probably avoid Rabbanut of some tiny little yishuv that she's never heard of.

The Eim Bayit of the seminary can probably give her good advice. If she has a good relationship with any local families they can give her advice and explanations as to the details of each hashgacha, and help her u understand where to draw the line.

ichbingreit

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 5:11 am
Eida hacharedis, landau, Rubin, shearis yisroel, iggud harabonim and machzikei hadas and chasam sofer bnei brak. There is also chasam sofer ptach tikva hoch is not a good hechsher.

That’s what we eat ( chassidish but middle of the road)

Beware that there is a loooot of rabbanut mehadrin eating places , we personally do not eat there. There are however some people who will eat it only for milchigs or for drinks etc…
But most charedi people don’t.

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 6:26 am
She should ask at her seminary. The reasons for accepting/rejecting some hecsherim are often obscure and complicated, and rather than guess, ask.

Usually this is the type of thing the seminary spells out for their students

fleetwood

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 6:45 am
The seminary gave my daughter a list which is a but stricter than how we hold.. the school will tell her.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:52 am
ichbingreit wrote:
Eida hacharedis, landau, Rubin, shearis yisroel, iggud harabonim and machzikei hadas and chasam sofer bnei brak. There is also chasam sofer ptach tikva hoch is not a good hechsher.

That’s what we eat ( chassidish but middle of the road)

Beware that there is a loooot of rabbanut mehadrin eating places , we personally do not eat there. There are however some people who will eat it only for milchigs or for drinks etc…
But most charedi people don’t.

This is why I said to just ask the seminary. Chasam Sofer Bnei Brak has known to be bad for a while now by many. I have many friends who are strict and eat all the ones you listed except that.

In fact we eat rabbanut mehadrin (in some cities, it depends on which) and machpud and Beit Yosef.

But we don’t eat both of the Chassam Sofers already for a few years now.

Also most chareidi people outside Yerushalayim eat Rabbanut Mehadrin Yerushalayim for milchigs and pareve.

Although we have also changed what we eat during shmittah due to different places having different policies for shmittah. We also don’t eat Sefardi hescherim during pesach, because....kitnotyos
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics