Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
The mohel said not to feed the baby 2 hours before bris?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 6:25 am
My baby is only on bottles (formula fed)
I kind of need to feed him when he's hungry for a bottle, it's not like nursing for comfort etc. Does it matter if I comfort him in other ways besides stuffing more milk in him if he's not ready? I've no idea what's going to end up happening on the day and time off bris but I don't want him being all messed up for the rest of the day. He gets really windy as it is after feeds.

I hope to have a night nurse for that night of the bris.

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 6:32 am
The hope is twofold: Not to throw up during the brit but also to have a large meal afterwards and sleep off any discomfort. Two hours isn't that long to hold off a newborn.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 6:35 am
Can you get him to take a paci?

If not, maybe give him a couple of micro feeds if he starts to really act hungry. Just a tablespoon or so to trick his tummy into calming down for the moment.

imasinger

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 6:36 am
Mazel tov!

Please do follow the mohel's instructions to the letter. You should do a feeding just before the cutoff time. If you note the times he usually is wanting a bottle now, and those times don't match, you probably have a few days to gradually shift his feeding times to line up. Ask an experienced mother to help you figure out the best way -- it depends on how they match up right now.

But if you do end up unable to shift much, just do your best. Keep in mind that a bris is minor surgery, and your baby is going to be a bit off for a time while he recovers, regardless of whether he ends up shifting, or being gassy after extra bottle. (If feeding regularly causes discomfort afterwards, you might want to switch formulas to non dairy, or see if there's a Jewish nursing milk bank you can use).

Hatzlacha!

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 6:47 am
I would ask the mohel why.
Dh is a mohel and never gives this instruction for two reasons.
1) an unsettled ie hungry baby will not be happy at a bris
2) they did studies in hospitals and babies given glucose water before injections cried less. Having sufficient ‘sugar’ ie food in the system, should help with the pain.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 6:47 am
I didn’t listen. I literally fed my baby (also formula immediately before. FWIW he was 6 weeks old (a preemie) at iOS Bris.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:04 am
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
I would ask the mohel why.
Dh is a mohel and never gives this instruction for two reasons.
1) an unsettled ie hungry baby will not be happy at a bris
2) they did studies in hospitals and babies given glucose water before injections cried less. Having sufficient ‘sugar’ ie food in the system, should help with the pain.

This! Why should your baby be hungry going into a minor surgery? Sounds cruel

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:08 am
My baby's mohel said feed within the hour of the bris.

Just feed ur baby. It'll be fine.

keym

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:09 am
amother [ NeonBlue ] wrote:
This! Why should your baby be hungry going into a minor surgery? Sounds cruel

My mohelim said to try to not feed 2 hours before, for sure not 30 minutes before.
The reasoning is not to have to deal with dirty diapers and huge blowouts to contaminate the area. You don't want to have a baby prepped and wrapped and then have to undo and redo. You also don't want a dirty diaper in the middle of the bris. Not because of grossness because of sterile.

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:11 am
I’ve never heard this, but with some of my kids that screamed at the Bris, the mohel said afterwards it was because they needed to burp. And then he would expertly do just that!

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:14 am
keym wrote:
My mohelim said to try to not feed 2 hours before, for sure not 30 minutes before.
The reasoning is not to have to deal with dirty diapers and huge blowouts to contaminate the area. You don't want to have a baby prepped and wrapped and then have to undo and redo. You also don't want a dirty diaper in the middle of the bris. Not because of grossness because of sterile.

Not the best reason. Just clean up again.

Also babies poop all day. There's no set time after a feeding that they need to be changed.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:14 am
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
I’ve never heard this, but with some of my kids that screamed at the Bris, the mohel said afterwards it was because they needed to burp. And then he would expertly do just that!

Don't they all scream at their bris? Poor boys 😔 I'm nervous for him! He's my 4th son knh but it's been a while plus its always painful for the mother to have to hear her baby go through it all.

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Don't they all scream at their bris? Poor boys 😔 I'm nervous for him! He's my 4th son knh but it's been a while plus its always painful for the mother to have to hear her baby go through it all.

I know. It doesn't get easier

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:19 am
Because the baby might have a dirty diaper is not a valid reason to make a baby be hungry before his Bris. What I did is feed them approx 45 minutes to 30 minutes before and make sure to be extra vigilant about burping them as they can be uncomfortable to be lying on their back from their Bris if they need to burp.
I think in general the mohelim from a long time ago say this 2 hour rule but more current mohelim don’t say it anymore.
It’s really unnecessary and causes additional pain to the baby.
Mazel Tov OP!!

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:33 am
Interesting.
Our mohel said to make sure to feed the baby an hour before the bris.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I totally relate!! It’s so hard to hear the baby cry.
What helps me a little is thinking about how the Bris is the most special moment for the baby... he’s entering the Bris with Hashem!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:20 am
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
I totally relate!! It’s so hard to hear the baby cry.
What helps me a little is thinking about how the Bris is the most special moment for the baby... he’s entering the Bris with Hashem!

True, thank you.

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

One of my boys cried, one did not make a peep. Neither mohel told me not to feed them before.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:54 am
watergirl wrote:
One of my boys cried, one did not make a peep. Neither mohel told me not to feed them before.

Wow! I've never heard of a baby not crying at their bris. He must've been really settled, or drugged up on milk 😄

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:26 pm
watergirl wrote:

My son barely cried.

I had dressed and fed baby just before it was time to go to shul for the bris. Mil showed up and yelled at me in her anxiety "don't you know you aren't supposed to feed the baby before the bris?????"
Later she told me a baby shouldn't be fed right before as they can cry and throw up from the whole procedure and laying on their back can chv cause them to choke very quickly on their own vomit.
She got so anxious that something will happen to the baby in her anxious state she yelled.
(Dont worry, she apologized later. I've forgiven but obviously not forgotten. Lol)

I don't know if it's true or not but my baby survived. Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics