Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My son is not feeling well while away in israel
Previous  1  2

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 7:17 am
My daughter complained of nausea and not feeling well for close to a month.

Sesame

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 7:38 am
Tap water definitely makes sense! Never was able to get used to it. Definitely should stop drinking that.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 7:42 am
Is Normalax dosage the same as Miralax? I have a kid with some of the same issues, a d finding the right dosage for Miralax was such a headache, it would be great to know how it compares.

My kid has also used fiber in the past. What's over the counter in Israel for Benefiber or Metamucil?

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 7:44 am
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
Is Normalax dosage the same as Miralax? I have a kid with some of the same issues, a d finding the right dosage for Miralax was such a headache, it would be great to know how it compares.

My kid has also used fiber in the past. What's over the counter in Israel for Benefiber or Metamucil?

The package insert should have all necessary dosage information. You can get Benefiber here, or ask the pharmacist for a fiber supplement. If anyone is having any medical issue and needs an OTC medication, the pharmacist is your friend. This is what they're there for.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 7:59 am
Teomima wrote:
The package insert should have all necessary dosage information. You can get Benefiber here, or ask the pharmacist for a fiber supplement. If anyone is having any medical issue and needs an OTC medication, the pharmacist is your friend. This is what they're there for.

Thanks. My kid has not found asking pharmacists helpful for this. The answer has been, "it may be the same, maybe different, try what they say, and if not try different, and in a couple months, either it's good or it's not." We were looking to know if anyone has tried both, is it comparable.

What is Hebrew for a fiber supplement? Or do you just say Benefiber?

Also of note, which we found out through help on this site: there are things we have in the US as over the counter medicines from a pharmacy that in Israel, you need to get at a health food store. This is a confusing thing for your kid to be told if they don't know it might be coming, especially if they walked to a pharmacy and now need to find a health food store that might not be as close by.

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:26 am
Thanks. My kid has not found asking pharmacists helpful for this. The answer has been, "it may be the same, maybe different, try what they say, and if not try different, and in a couple months, either it's good or it's not." We were looking to know if anyone has tried both, is it comparable.

What is Hebrew for a fiber supplement? Or do you just say Benefiber?

Also of note, which we found out through help on this site: there are things we have in the US as over the counter medicines from a pharmacy that in Israel, you need to get at a health food store. This is a confusing thing for your kid to be told if they don't know it might be coming, especially if they walked to a pharmacy and now need to find a health food store that might not be as close by.

I find this quite surprising. A licensed pharmacist* is usually very competent and pays attention to proper dosage and medication usage. Perhaps you should try another pharmacy?

Here's information for Normalax, including a dosage chart:
https://www.normalax.co.il/?page_id=179

אבקת סיבים תזונתיים is dietary fiber powder. You can try asking specifically for Benefiber if you want that particular brand. Here's a link, you can even order it online for delivery or in-store pickup:
https://shop.super-pharm.co.il.....57338

*ETA: when you go to the pharmacy, often there are at least two people working behind the counter, and only one may be an actual pharmacist. There other night be a regular salesperson, who can help you with OTC medication and ringing up your items. Make sure you are speaking to the actual pharmacist, not the salesperson, if you have dosage questions.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:30 am
Teomima wrote:
I find this quite surprising. A licensed pharmacist is usually very competent and pays attention to proper dosage and medication usage. Perhaps you should try another pharmacy?

Here's information for Normalax, including a dosage chart:
https://www.normalax.co.il/?page_id=179

אבקת סיבים תזונתיים is dietary fiber powder. You can try asking specifically for Benefiber if you want that particular brand. Here's a link, you can even order it online for delivery or in-store pickup:
https://shop.super-pharm.co.il.....57338

Thank you. The pharmacist knew the recommended dosage- just not if it is the same amount of medication as the Miralax dose.

OP, I agree about the water. And Miralax/Normalax can help a lot. Yeshiva kitchens can definitely be difficult too- have dc become aware of what alternatives are available at each meal. I also find that boys often don't eat much fiber in yeshiva. Nobody is providing fresh fruit or salad or raw vegetables. He can ask the cook if there are any apples or the like, or pick some up himself.

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:35 am
Thank you. The pharmacist knew the recommended dosage- just not if it is the same amount of medication as the Miralax dose.

Ah, I understand. Well that makes sense, there's no reason they should be familiar with the dosage of a medication that isn't offered here.

mfb

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:41 am
Israel has hard water. People that aren’t used to it get upset stomach

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:20 am
Almost everyone I know drinks filtered water from a machine. Or bottled water.
Not because the tap water is bad, just because it's not tasty.

In the states, lots of people just don't drink water. Here we drink it all day, so it better be tasty.

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:11 am
A local pharmacist isn't going to take responsibility for recommending dosages for medications not sold here. He can give recommendations for the local Israeli analog of Miralax. Why doesn't your son just go with that? When in Rome...

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 1:23 pm
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
Almost everyone I know drinks filtered water from a machine. Or bottled water.
Not because the tap water is bad, just because it's not tasty.

In the states, lots of people just don't drink water. Here we drink it all day, so it better be tasty.

Almost everyone I know drinks tap water. To each their own.

I doubt the water is causing all of OP's son's symptoms, but he does need to stay hydrated and there's no problem with drinking bottled water, if that'll help him. You're right that the most important thing though is to stay hydrated with lots of water.

mfb

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 1:31 pm
Teomima wrote:
Almost everyone I know drinks tap water. To each their own.

I doubt the water is causing all of OP's son's symptoms, but he does need to stay hydrated and there's no problem with drinking bottled water, if that'll help him. You're right that the most important thing though is to stay hydrated with lots of water.

If you live in Israel long term your body can get used to hard water but as a tourist I know I was always warned not to drink the water since it will cause stomach pain.

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 1:44 pm
please make sure he is drinking enough in israel you need to drink waaay more than in America.

that could make him nauseous and constipated.
and definitely not feeling good.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 1:59 pm
Weird question, I recently moved within Israel, and have had an upset stomach following the move. Also the tap water in my new town has an odd taste to me (not in JLM - which I was never able to become accustomed to) after reading this thread I started wondering if my stomach issues might have something to do with the water here.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:07 pm
Actually this thread is kinda funny. We live in Israel and are in the US for about two weeks. I'm drinking the tap water, which is safe to drink here, and I've noticed that my feces are kind of wonky and I'm constantly uncomfortable.

I blamed it on diet (more carbs, less fresh fruits and veggies), but who says it's not the American water? I bet the water here is a lot worse for you than the water back home in Israel.

If I start drinking bottled water, will my digestive system go back to normal?

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ RosePink ] wrote:
Actually this thread is kinda funny. We live in Israel and are in the US for about two weeks. I'm drinking the tap water, which is safe to drink here, and I've noticed that my feces are kind of wonky and I'm constantly uncomfortable.

I blamed it on diet (more carbs, less fresh fruits and veggies), but who says it's not the American water? I bet the water here is a lot worse for you than the water back home in Israel.

If I start drinking bottled water, will my digestive system go back to normal?

it might
try it.

tree of life

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:13 pm
Hi I live in Israel definitely only use bottled water for first few months till body gets use to the water here plus any pharmacy or health food shop can provide something for constipation highly recommend buying Weetabix from food shop they will help plenty of water to plus it can also be from homesickness till he settles and knows the yeshiva friends etc hatzlacha

oakandfig19

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 5:10 pm
I was nauseous for like a month or two after starting seminary, and I think it was from the water. It’s rough but he’ll likely get through it, alternatively he could drink bottled water but obviously that’s expensive and more inconvenient. If it’s really caused by the water, which it likely is, he’ll acclimate.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics