Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
I did IVF - AMA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:37 pm
amother [ Clover ] wrote:
If male factor is the issue, is IVF usually the only option?
in certain cases IUIs are successful if the male factor isn’t severe. Also if the male hormones are good they may check the male for varicocele and surgically correct it. It’s far from guaranteed and can take a few months to even see a rise in sperm count but it’s sometimes an option for couples that don’t want to go to IVF right away

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:41 pm
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
Was it difficult for you to accept that you were fertile and that it was your husband's "fault" that you couldn't conceive?

Was it difficult that people around you seemingly get pregnant any time they walk into the same room as their husbands, and there's something wrong with you that you couldn't?
infertility is difficult in general but I don’t think it was more so because my husband was “the problem”. I wouldn’t want to have kids with anyone else so it’s not like I would be jealous of some other ladies husband.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Technically that only tells you in the lab if the combination is both yours and your husbands. But the question is really what happens after the lab. Do you get the correct embryo transferred? I don’t see how genetic testing changes any of that.

Although, again, with good centers you’re just fine. Especially if you have Hashgacha.

Actually, the genetic testing is not a paternity or maternity test. It's generally testing that there are the right number of chromosomes (PGT-A) or for specific genetic mutation (PGT-M).

The centers are pretty careful. There are always horror stories, but in general, the centers don't want problems and do not want to get sued.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:47 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
as far as I’m aware the only exception in NY for very large employers are if they self insure. Was that the case? Reason I’m saying so is because I had a friend who was told by her boss that they are exempt but when she challenged them and threatened to report them they were suddenly mysteriously not exempt. The company itself doesn’t pay for the treatment. It’s that they need to include IVF coverage in whatever healthy insurance they provide. Some companies will try their luck and not add it on to the plan hoping they employees don’t know their rights

I’m in a union and it’s exempt (1199 seiu)

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:51 pm
regarding the question about freezing vs not freezing. my doctor only does freezing and they feel it's better that way because the woman has a chance to recover from the stimulation and retrieval and they have time to do testing. and with freezing there are embryos for the future.
however, when doing a fresh cycle or a cycle with ovulation, you can possibly skip the progesterone shots and pills and possibly skip the estrogen pills too, and it's faster when done the same month.
so there are pros and cons.

hashgacha is required halachically.
in adddition to hashgacha,
anyone who has doubts regarding the parentage, can do dna testing on the child through a place like ancestry (dna testing is not valid for halacha purposes, you need to have supervision.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:55 pm
amother [ Zinnia ] wrote:
regarding the question about freezing vs not freezing. my doctor only does freezing and they feel it's better that way because the woman has a chance to recover from the stimulation and retrieval and they have time to do testing. and with freezing there are embryos for the future.
however, when doing a fresh cycle or a cycle with ovulation, you can possibly skip the progesterone shots and pills and possibly skip the estrogen pills too, and it's faster when done the same month.

anyone who has doubts regarding the parentage, can do dna testing on the child through a place like ancestry (dna testing is not valid for halacha purposes, you need to have supervision.

That was very informative. In other words, more pain-more future gain.

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 5:08 pm
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:
I’m in a union and it’s exempt (1199 seiu)
ok interesting. I learned something new today

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 5:57 pm
amother [ Zinnia ] wrote:

Not every rabbi requires hashgacha. Mine doesn’t. He considers the centers oversight to be enough

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 6:06 pm
amother [ Marigold ] wrote:
Actually, the genetic testing is not a paternity or maternity test. It's generally testing that there are the right number of chromosomes (PGT-A) or for specific genetic mutation (PGT-M).

The centers are pretty careful. There are always horror stories, but in general, the centers don't want problems and do not want to get sued.

The lab we use for PGT-A testing does effectively check parentage as well. They took DNA samples from me and my husband and compare the chromosomes to those. This makes sure that not only are there two copies of each chromosome, but that there is one copy from the father and one from the mother. We do another round of genetic testing at about 10 weeks pregnant so by the time of birth there is no doubt in my mind. Our rabbi considers the procedures of the clinic to be good enough halachically.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 9:23 pm
I’m new to ivf didn’t even meet doc yet sorry if this question was asked I do have apt set up but had to wait very long it’s bh coming up in a few weeks from my consultation how long till they can actually start the process ?
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics