Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Lakewood to Baltimore and back, same day?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 9:40 pm
Would you do this? Is it crazy to drive myself there and back, over 5 hours of driving. Have a doctor appt there in mercy medical and can’t find a ride. Husband doesn’t want to take off work and can’t understand why I’m hesitating to drive

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 9:48 pm
I've done it. Hard, but doable.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 9:50 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I've done it. Hard, but doable.

Better to drive the night before and sleep over in a hotel alone?

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:01 pm
I’ve gone Baltimore to Lakewood in one day many times, for a Sunday of shopping. It’s not too bad. But by yourself for a Dr.s appointment is a little different. Can you spend a little time relaxing in a restaurant or something before driving back?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:04 pm
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
I’ve gone Baltimore to Lakewood in one day many times, for a Sunday of shopping. It’s not too bad. But by yourself for a Dr.s appointment is a little different. Can you spend a little time relaxing in a restaurant or something before driving back?

My appt is 9 am and I have to be back in Lakewood at 3:00 for kids pickup. So no time to really relax Sad

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:05 pm
It’s hard. But definitely nap in the car in between. And bring lots of snacks and caffeine. I definitely understand your hesitancy.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:06 pm
I would go night before so not all
Driving is in one day

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:13 pm
For a 9am appointment I would absolutely go the night before and sleep in a hotel. Otherwise you have to leave really early in the morning plus go at times with traffic and it would just be too exhausting for m, especially having to be back in Lakewood by 3pm..

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:30 pm
You should look into Amtrak trains, it’s much less taxing to drive to the train station

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:33 pm
I live in Baltimore and make the round trip to Lakewood all the time for simchas etc.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:37 pm
I drove from Manhattan to Baltimore for a Bris once. Brutal but worth it

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:37 pm
You know yourself best. I personally would sleep over because I can't drive that much in one day. It sounds like you might be better off going the night before especially since it's an early appointment.

sky

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:45 pm
I’ve done it many times.
Really depends on your personal stamina as a driver.
Can you get someone to take over your kids at 3 to give yourself more ‘wiggle’ room?
Can you get a friend or niece or relative or someone to join you for the drive?

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:48 pm
Baltimore Bikur Cholim might be able to help you with a place to stay overnight.
Baltimorebikurcholim.org

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:15 am
Baltimore mother here. It is doable, but if you are not used to it, I think it will be hard alone. Where is your appointment? No need to disclose details, but if you can let us know the area or hospital, it will be helpful for us to give suggestions of where to stay and when to leave. I do agree with the others that for a 9 a.m. appointment, it will be better to leave the night before due to rush hour traffic.

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:17 am
I also don't see the hesitation but I love driving.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My appt is 9 am and I have to be back in Lakewood at 3:00 for kids pickup. So no time to really relax Sad

Come to Baltimore the night before!

It’s a lot of driving! My husband just took us from Baltimore to Monsey and back in the space of 9 hours to pop into a Simcha! I can’t go both ways in one day by myself, I’d start to drift off from that much driving.

I’m in a bunch of Baltimore ride groups, and can post for you, if you pm me. Perhaps you can find a ride, or even a passengers for one direction, who’d share the driving with you.

Good luck!

summer0808

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:29 am
you must get someone to take your children off the bus. you dont even have wiggle room. how long is the drive supposed to take? 3.5 Hours? so you must leave by 11.30 to even have a chance of making it back on time! without taking a moment to rest!

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 11:01 am
summer0808 wrote:
you must get someone to take your children off the bus. you dont even have wiggle room. how long is the drive supposed to take? 3.5 Hours? so you must leave by 11.30 to even have a chance of making it back on time! without taking a moment to rest!

The drive is 2 hours 45 minutes

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 11:10 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
The drive is 2 hours 45 minutes

If there's no traffic.
Sometimes it takes longer. You have to figure on 3-3.5 hours, especially if you add in a rest stop.
It probably is a good idea to make arrangement for babysitter or neighbor to pick the kids up from the bus just on case.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics