Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Stomach Sleeping - help?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:48 pm
My baby is 7 weeks old and loves to stomach sleep.
It started because he always only fell asleep on me on his stomach. When he’s on his back he wakes himself up every 20-30 mins. Even if he’s swaddled (which he is only when he back sleeps).
His stomach seems to be always bothering him so I guess lying on it helps?

I know it’s dangerous and it really scares me I wake up a few times a night to check but it’s the only way he sleeps. WhAt to do now?! Crying

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:56 pm
I used to be very adamant about not putting baby to sleep on the stomach till I had a baby that did NOT sleep any other way. She shreiked round the clock, I didn't get any sleep. One night I was beyond exhausted, I didn't have energy to get up for her, I put her on her stomach and she slept! For hours straight.

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:57 pm
All my kids slept on their stomach as babies. Do did all of my siblings.

I know the risk of sids is higher but it’s the only way I can sleep. Risk of sids is lower with pacifier so I put them to sleep on stomach and give a pacifier.

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:58 pm
It is not dangerous. Generations of babies slept this way.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:59 pm
amother [ Petunia ] wrote:
It is not dangerous. Generations of babies slept this way.

And the rate of SIDs was higher in previous generations.

*Not saying OP is wrong though so dont jump on me for being insensitive. Just explaining this flawed logic of previous generations...

Sewsew_mom

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 9:02 pm
I put my baby's to sleep on their stomach. My pediatrician Said he's pro stomachs but can never tell a mom that because of hell be bashed. I wouldn't worry so much. But again if your so worried than by all means put the baby on its back.

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 9:03 pm
My baby sleeps on her stomach.
You can also get that owlet anklet so you can see that theyre breathing from I think an app.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 9:06 pm
I'm another one who sleeps babies on their stomachs. Life changing. Taking care of a baby is so much harder the other way.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 9:08 pm
I was always careful with not putting my babies on their stomach. Until this one came around. She didn't sleep more than 20 minutes at a time. When I almost dropped her because I was literally falling asleep holding her, I realized that stomach is safer than that, and started letting her sleep on her stomach. I also made sure she gets her pacifier to sleep.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 9:47 pm
I did find the Halo sleep sack superior to all other swaddles and allowed me to convince my babies to sleep on back. $20 on Amazon (though only the medium heavy weight fabric, Verboa I think it’s called) and lifesaver!!!! I swear by them!!!
(Also I cannot swaddle for the life of me and the sleep sack works with Velcro)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:07 pm
Thanks for all the support lol it makes me feel better I’m not the only “bad” mom who does stomach sleeping.
He does have a pacifier so I guess that’s better?

I wish there wasn’t so much guilt in parenting

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:40 pm
Our Mohel advised us to put my oldest to sleep on his stomach to help with burping after the Bris and after that Bh all 7 of my kids stomach slept (last 2 without pacifiers).

Funny story, I was once in the hospital with my 2 month old who had RSV. I nursed him and put him on his stomach on the couch/ bed. His nurse came in and admonished me for it, cuz the couch was soft or something. Then she whispered “don’t worry, all 4 of my babies slept on their stomachs! Just make sure it’s a firm surface underneath”
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics