Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
If you run a successful small business...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 11:10 pm
Seeing moms on the other thread who make a lot of money at their own businesses.
Would love to hear more, give me something to dream about.
I earn a great salary but dream of being my own boss.
What area is your business in?
What's your typical workweek?
Pros / cons?
How'd you get started?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:36 am
Bumping this...

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:54 am
What area is your business in?
Residential and kitchen design; cabinets

What's your typical workweek?
Long. I should be working now!

Pros / cons?
Pros: Work for myself, developed my own niche, love my work, it's a stimulating and creative job that also really is my passion, I'm very good at this so it's great for self-esteem, meet lots of nice people.
Cons: Deadlines, having to stay organized, carving out time for other things

How'd you get started?
This is a hobby-turned-business. I always loved architecture, kitchen design, the psychology of space, and ergonomics; and was doing space planning for free for friends. About 15 years ago DH said to me "You know, people would pay you for this!" And he was right!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 9:29 am
Running to a meeting- real quick: professional newborn photographer. I work from havdalah till candlelighting. Not really but it feels like it!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 6:29 pm
bump!

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:29 pm
Can I add another question: for those that are in a creativity type field - how do you handle the business back end of working for yourself? That’s the part that scares me. I’m good at what I do but I don’t have the brain for the technical business management stuff.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 8:40 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Can I add another question: for those that are in a creativity type field - how do you handle the business back end of working for yourself? That’s the part that scares me. I’m good at what I do but I don’t have the brain for the technical business management stuff.

I have a secretary. She’s the best! Hi 👋

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:19 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

I know how to grow and run a business but as far as "technical business management stuff" like doing taxes, taking care of resale and business licenses, keeping billing up to date, and similar mind-numbing paperwork, I am fortunate to have an in-house non-creative type here and he takes care of it — my husband is a CPA.

essie14

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:24 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

I have worked as the executive assistant for more than 1 small business owner.
If you're the creative one, you pay someone to do the rest of the boring stuff.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:14 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I have a secretary. She’s the best! Hi 👋

Hi! I am quite creative though!! Wink

SuperWify

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:52 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

My DH takes care of the technical and financial. I’m blessed! He has a great math brain which I clearly lack.

I do the creative part and customer service.

We make a good team bh!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics