Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Help! How do you cover your table? I'm out of ideas
1  2  Next

lamplighter

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:25 pm
I have a wooden dining room table that has scratches.
I have covered it with a pleather tablecloth for years but now my kids are writing on it with pen (accidentally) or leaving a colored paper and it bleeds color into the table cloth. I'm on my 3rd pleather tablecloth in a year and I'm just so frustrated.
I need something durable and wipeable. I don't want to be washing tablecloths everyday.
For shabbos I have shabbos tablecloths with disposable plastics on top.
If you have links to your magically table solution that would appreciated even more

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:26 pm
We had a glass made in the shape of the table top.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 6:29 am
My table is not worth getting a glass for, it is 15 years old and scratched up.

Maybe when we win the lottery and buy a new table.

Any other ideas?

Good Friend

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 6:36 am
Butcher paper. Great for coloring on.

Surrendered

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 6:59 am
I purchased a beautifully designed hard plastic tablecloth from my local Jewish Homecenter. costs pennies ($10-15) and washes easily and lasts long.
Monsey
you can pm me for information where to buy it.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:19 am
If you want something more formal looking, I can't help.

But otherwise, Target sells outdoor tablecloths that can usually be wiped clean.

https://www.target.com/p/ikat-.....metab

4g01o

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:22 am
I have a thick plastic cover with glitter for added sparkle. You can get plain or any designs. They're wipeable

I have a nice white table underneath. If you're trying to cover up your table top then you can get smart ones with nice designs.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:28 am
This is why children should never be left unsupervised with markers!

Especially permanent markers. Sharpies should aways be under lock and key, right next to the scissors.

Put the markers away, and when the children want them, make them promise to only color on the paper you give them. Tell them that if they color anywhere else, the markers are going to go away until the kids are old enough to use them responsibly.

happy chick

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:31 am
I use hard clear plastic for the week and then on shabbos I cover it w a whit table cloth. I use it not only to protect from scratches, also for spills.
I used to have a custom made glass, so the table is pretty scratch-free, but it broke when we moved and we couldn't afford to replace it at the time. By now it's 10+ yrs old, so not worth it anymore.

2cents

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:47 am
I keep a pretty white tablecloth with a thick clear plastic all week. My kids do homework on the table and nothing else is practical. I wipe it well and put a pretty runner when I set for shabbos.

advocate

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:30 am
Plexiglas instead of glass?

sky

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:48 am
advocate wrote:
Plexiglas instead of glass?

We have this for our leaves.

It’s very durable but scratches easily.

You could see how much sheets of it cost at Lowe’s or Home Depot. They will cut it to the size you want there. Then will need rubber feet do it won’t slide.
I’ve cut plexiglass at stores, but never used for table top. Not sure what price would be.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:52 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
This is why children should never be left unsupervised with markers!

Especially permanent markers. Sharpies should aways be under lock and key, right next to the scissors.

Put the markers away, and when the children want them, make them promise to only color on the paper you give them. Tell them that if they color anywhere else, the markers are going to go away until the kids are old enough to use them responsibly.

Thanks for the lecture. I don't run a zoo and no this wasn't permanent markers. Pens and a colored paper that got wet left face down for a bit also stains. I am not always in that room and since this seems to be happening possibly from my neglectful parenting, I'd like a solution that would work instead.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:53 am
2cents wrote:
I keep a pretty white tablecloth with a thick clear plastic all week. My kids do homework on the table and nothing else is practical. I wipe it well and put a pretty runner when I set for shabbos.

Maybe this is the way to go. I used to have it years ago but switched to pleather because it was easier.

Do you have a recommendation? Link?

Living Princess

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:57 am
I would leave it or cover it with paper and one day sand it down restain and varnish it

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:59 am
Flannel back vinyl tablecloth during the week. It is all colorful and if it gets stains, who cares. Pleather on Shabbos.

Dairy it is blue

Meat it has red/pink/brown

emzod42

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:09 am
I use a dark colored vinyl tablecloth I found on Amazon. It's wipeable, doesn't really show stains, and it's not as expensive as the "frum" ones.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....c6792

lamplighter

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:25 am
emzod42 wrote:
I use a dark colored vinyl tablecloth I found on Amazon. It's wipeable, doesn't really show stains, and it's not as expensive as the "frum" ones.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....c6792

Is this considered dark? Pen and stuff would definitely show.
My room is kind of dark so I'm looking for something light ideally. Also those plastic tablecloths are way too busy for me. Maybe I just need to go back to the old fashioned thick clear table cover.

emzod42

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:37 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Is this considered dark? Pen and stuff would definitely show.
My room is kind of dark so I'm looking for something light ideally. Also those plastic tablecloths are way too busy for me. Maybe I just need to go back to the old fashioned thick clear table cover.

There are a lot of color options. I have the darker colors. They don't show too much, but I do have to wipe off pen and marker sometimes.

mizle10

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:44 pm
If it's all scratched already why does it need to be covered?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics