Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Ideas for making kids feel special

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:55 pm
I would love if people could post tips/ideas for being a good Mommy - specifically ways to make kids feel special & loved. For ex - love notes in their lunch or leaving a treat or small prize with a note on their bed. Taking kids out of school for lunch date, ec.

I would love to hear more ideas, thanks!

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 3:04 pm
I make food they like, get them small treats, I give them all special time with mommy where they can talk about anything they want without siblings around. I take different kids on errands with me. Generally I try to take an interest in their life who their friends are, what they do at recess, what was the most fun thing that happened at school today.

OMG!

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 3:10 pm
When my son started learning gemara, I set the table nice for supper. Fresh smoothie on each setting with a straw. We Taped on the straw a little card with I learn Gemara on it. Kid came home from cheder, all smiles!! He loooved the attention the entire family gave him!
Otherwise I try spending alone time here n there. And the main part is what mommy thinks of child. Keep your thoughts loving and positive, and child will feel it!! Good luck!

hodeez

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 3:24 pm
Time time time

naomi2

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:33 pm
Read them books
Play games with them, cards, board games
Take them to the park
Ask how was their day and then listen
Sit with them at bedtime and sing shema, or other lullabies, even a little older kids enjoy
Bake with them
Basically what hodeez said. Time, love, attention.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:50 pm
One on one time
Being truly present with them
Listening deeply lovingly and nonjudgmentally

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:53 pm
Listen with an open mind
Care about what they care about
Connect lovingly
Ask them what would be special for them to do with you
Then make time to do it
They will feel heard
Put your phone away when you are with them

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 5:04 pm
I sing to my toddler a lot. I compose my owns songs. They usually start with "mummy loves you, mommy loves DC so much..."

Lately she sings back "DC loves mommy..."

I just melt.

I tell her every day that I miss her so much whilst at work, and I'm sad until we see each other again. Her eyes light up every time, and she even asked me if I cry. I told her I obviously do.

So basically, she loves when I express my love towards her, she literally revels in it. I guess you should find what speaks most to your child, either gifts, chatting, compliments and focus mainly on that. Obviously make sure to have a balance in all areas, one can never express too much love or make their child feel too special.

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 5:21 pm
I once heard that a rebbetzin would wake up her son very early each morning and it was very cold so she would get up a few min earlier and put his clothing in the drier so when her got dressed he was warm and cozy… this can mean a lot to some kids especially sensory…
Also you can say ‘I bought you the yellow ball because I know you love yellow’/ I made these cookies for the family because I know you love them’ as opposed to I bought you a ball/ made cookies…

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:58 am
Great ideas, thank you!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:02 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I sing to my toddler a lot. I compose my owns songs. They usually start with "mummy loves you, mommy loves DC so much..."

Lately she sings back "DC loves mommy..."

I just melt.

I tell her every day that I miss her so much whilst at work, and I'm sad until we see each other again. Her eyes light up every time, and she even asked me if I cry. I told her I obviously do.

So basically, she loves when I express my love towards her, she literally revels in it. I guess you should find what speaks most to your child, either gifts, chatting, compliments and focus mainly on that. Obviously make sure to have a balance in all areas, one can never express too much love or make their child feel too special.

This is so sweet!
Heart
I would just tread carefully with the telling her how sad it makes you when she's not around. Although superficially it makes her happy to hear it, it could subconsciously create a complex and/or anxiety; you're unintentionally & subconsciously placing the responsibility for your emotional wellbeing on her.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is so sweet!
Heart
I would just tread carefully with the telling her how sad it makes you when she's not around. Although superficially it makes her happy to hear it, it could subconsciously create a complex and/or anxiety; you're unintentionally & subconsciously placing the responsibility for your emotional wellbeing on her.

Good point. She's quite little so I obviously simplified it for her but I'll obviously make sure she understands that even though I miss her, I'm happy and busy throughout the day but look forward to seeing her later on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics