Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Need advice: Realtor

momofone613

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:05 am
Background: We've been looking for a house for a few months now. we are looking for something very specific, and while we are trying to have an open mind and look at some houses that are outside of that,
We even lowered our standards in areas, nothing has been a good fit yet. (Mainly because of timing). When we do get a house, it will be on the pricier side (above average/middle ...if that makes sense).

I feel really bad that we keep dragging our Realtor (who is from our community if that makes a difference) to all these houses, and she's shown us places erev YT/shabbos, answering our many questions, and doing research on a place when needed. I was thinking maybe we should get her something as a thank you or something? I don't know what is proper, or what even to get! Also, I don't know where she lives, so I guess I'd need to ask her for her address to send something.

Is anyone a realtor, or been through this and can give advice based on experience?

tryinghard

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:16 am
It’s complicated because technically an agent may only be compensated by her broker, not the clients directly. So gift cards and things like that can be risky depending on the broker a d the level of scrutiny in that particular office. You can always send flowers or chocolate or something.
The exception to this might be if you explicitly state that any compensation was in exchange for “education” or “training” or “market research” since those are not activities that are limited to licensed real estate agents.

But most importantly, just make sure your agent knows that you get it, that she’s not being paid for her time unless you actually close.
Unfortunately, too many clients do not realize this - I’m always happy to put in the work and go the extra mile, but it’s tough when you work with some clients for a long time and then they end up not buying, or switching to a different agent and you walk away empty-handed. But even more so, feeling unappreciated. And they don’t even realize because, hey, that’s her job!

There’s no expectation there, but appreciation is certainly nice.

momofone613

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 11:30 am
tryinghard wrote:
It’s complicated because technically an agent may only be compensated by her broker, not the clients directly. So gift cards and things like that can be risky depending on the broker a d the level of scrutiny in that particular office. You can always send flowers or chocolate or something.
The exception to this might be if you explicitly state that any compensation was in exchange for “education” or “training” or “market research” since those are not activities that are limited to licensed real estate agents.

But most importantly, just make sure your agent knows that you get it, that she’s not being paid for her time unless you actually close.
Unfortunately, too many clients do not realize this - I’m always happy to put in the work and go the extra mile, but it’s tough when you work with some clients for a long time and then they end up not buying, or switching to a different agent and you walk away empty-handed. But even more so, feeling unappreciated. And they don’t even realize because, hey, that’s her job!

There’s no expectation there, but appreciation is certainly nice.

Ok, so gift cards are out. LoL.

I have definitely thanked her, and even apologized, and said we definitely don't want it to feel like we are wasting her time. Also, I e said (and mean it) we are sticking with her. I just feel bad and don't want her to FEEL like we are wasting her time. And I hate to be the problem people, but at the same time definitely don't want to get a house that we don't like.

tryinghard

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:43 pm
So send her flowers for shabbos with a nice note, and make sure she knows how much you appreciate her. Next house that comes up snd falls through, make sure to mention that you know she doesn’t get paid for any of the ones along the way. Just acknowledging that goes a long way in my experience.

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:49 pm
tryinghard wrote:
So send her flowers for shabbos with a nice note, and make sure she knows how much you appreciate her. Next house that comes up snd falls through, make sure to mention that you know she doesn’t get paid for any of the ones along the way. Just acknowledging that goes a long way in my experience.

Thank you 😊
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette