Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Att Linden Residents-Can you help me?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 11:08 am
I'm very seriously considering Linden (Chassidish) and would love to hear some more feedback from people that actually live in Linden.
Are you happy there?
What affiliation are you?
How does it work with company for your kids when there isn't necessarily a neighbor on your block? ((At this point I only have young kids but really thinking about the future too)
Are you lonely on Shabbos?
How united is the community? How does everyone meet each other? (I'm pretty nervous about that aspect and about making friends) How would I meet up with people?
I'm thinking of working remotely but would love not to be locked into my house, is there any offices where women rent desks together?
How is the cheder like?
How do you find the shopping and the shlep of going far for everything?
Do you drive or only your husband? If you don't drive, how do you manage?
Is there a good playgroup for my 2 year old? And what about a babysitter for my baby?
Thanks! Please feel free to share anything else, it would be really appreciated!!!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:09 pm
Bump

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:43 pm
Bumping. I’m interested too

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:45 pm
Why don’t u come to Staten Island? I’m also chassidish and I moved here a few months ago I love it! It’s more of a mixed community than linden and it’s closer to bp…ur also still part of NY which means u keep ur same insurance plan etc…u could message me for info if ur interested

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:46 pm
How much are houses currently going for in Staten Island?

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:51 pm
The houses did go up a lot this year-
I bought a semi attached 3 floor house with beautiful backyard/ deck in great neighborhood for abt 580k a year ago…now I hear that my same size house is at least 650K
A fully detached house is the around 750K at least…
It’s definitely more expensive then linden but it’s cheaper then bp
Almost Every school in bp already has a bus to Staten Island and it’s a really nice mix

CPenzias

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:59 pm
I live in Linden but I'm not part of the chasidish community. I'm part of the modern orthodox community. Can I answer any questions for you?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:04 pm
CPenzias wrote:
I live in Linden but I'm not part of the chasidish community. I'm part of the modern orthodox community. Can I answer any questions for you?

Not OP. But how does your community feel about so many chassidish ppl moving there?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:58 pm
[quote="amother [ Vanilla ]"]The houses did go up a lot this year-
I bought a semi attached 3 floor house with beautiful backyard/ deck in great neighborhood for abt 580k a year ago…now I hear that my same size house is at least 650K
A fully detached house is the around 750K at least…
It’s definitely more expensive then linden but it’s cheaper then bp
Almost Every school in bp already has a bus to Staten Island and it’s a really nice mix[/quote

Another staten islander here. We love it to. Its a beautiful mix.
The houses are way more now then you mentioned. Semis are more like high 6, detached are over 800k closer to 900k

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 11:09 pm
Following. I have all those questions that op listed. I have a dislike to Staten Island that I cannot explain, although dh does seems interested to live there.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 11:20 pm
I’m Bobov so Linden is more interesting than SI, and all together I just like the place better, it’s so much more peaceful and less city like.
I know I want to move there, I just have all these questions.
I also have a bunch of family members looking into it or in the process of buying.

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:16 am
I live in linden. I’m bobov and so far loving it. There are definitely many adjustments when moving, especially to a new community. Some of the questions you asked are simple. Ppl are happy with the cheder. There are babysitters and playgroups. Having neighbors depends where you buy a house… ppl are moving out to Roselle where it’s starting to fill up now so less neighbors but if you move closer to the center of linden you’re bound to have neighbors and company within a few blocks… from my personal experience, my neighbors were very welcoming and we do get together shabbos, in the parks, afternoons… inconveniences are very relative; not having a local kosher supermarket is not easy but if you get used to phone/text orders there is more than 1 grocery/fish store/butcher that makes deliveries then problem solved.
Sorry for the long post but just trying to answer some of the questions you asked.
If you have any specific questions I can try to answer to the best of my ability.
As always it’s having a good attitude that’ll make any adjustment much easier.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:25 am
Linden is getting a new supermarket soon.

One major issue in linden is that there are not that many houses available. There are people that have been waiting and looking for a very long time. Also most houses are fairly small.

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:25 am
Just reading through your questions and trying to answer some more of them.
Re driving. I don’t drive. It’s sometime pretty annoying not be able to go wherever I want whenever I want to but I got used to trying to schedule errands when my husband is available to take me. Also to bp there are multiple daily shuttles back and forth.
Re shopping. For basics like basic kids clothing, hosiery… we have local ppl that sell them here. We have many malls that are close by and ladies are constantly taking Uber’s together… not taking away the fact that you don’t have the conveniences of 13th ave around the corner but I find myself getting more and more used to a more relaxed lifestyle and not needing things on demand. Everything including shopping can wait a day or 2
Re work. There are woman that share offices. Once you know that you want to make these arrangements, you’ll have locals try to help you out with finding a shared office.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:26 am
Wow! Thanks for your response, now I’m getting curious if I know you Hi
What about driving?
Do you send your kids to linden mosdos or bus in to BP?
What’s your favorite part about moving there?
We’re very seriously into a house, I need to make a decision by tomorrow and I’m so so so confused.
The house will be available shortly but I really wil only be ready to move after the winter at the earliest and can’t really afford to pay rent and a mortgage, do you know anyone looking to rent for a few months? Is there such an option or do you maybe have a better idea of what we could do?
Also repeating my question about remote work and women sharing offices together, any info on that?
Thanks Tons!
ETA I didn’t see ur next post

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:27 am
[quote="amother [ Papayawhip ]"]Linden is getting a new supermarket soon.

Yes!! And also a pediatrician/ and urgent care pretty soon hopefully

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:29 am
[quote="amother [ Lightgray ]"]
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
Linden is getting a new supermarket soon.

Yes!! And also a pediatrician/ and urgent care pretty soon hopefully

That’s amazing! Yes, and I heard about the supermarket but Herbst only got the permit very recently so it’ll probably be another few months

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:33 am
I actually send into bp but the bobov transportation is very reliable so I’m very happy with arrangements so far. I actually heard very good things about the local mosdos but for us it made more sense to continue in bp.

Supermarket is still gonna take some time but at least it’s finally happening.

It’s tough having to make the decision about not moving right after buying. Not easy doubling up the mortgage and rent. Also not so easy to find short term renters (unless maybe you want to furnish the house and rent out for weekends…)

Definitely looking forward to eventually welcoming you here!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:42 am
Thanks!
Can you email me at this email address I just created? I would love to reach out to you in the future with questions I have lindeninfo2021@gmail.com (obviously only if u feel comfortable)

CPenzias

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:43 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Not OP. But how does your community feel about so many chassidish ppl moving there?

Initially there were mixed feelings. I personally moved from Monsey so obviously I wasn't thrilled. That said, it is what it is. No one is causing any problems bh though my friend had a major problem with trying to sell her house and the "Rabbi" causing her a lot of stress because he was purchasing it underan llc. He was disgusting and she was paying a mortgage and rent because the "Rabbi" was stalling in the process hoping to get her to go down in price. In the end when the community heard they said they didn't want a Rabbi like that and he was thrown out. (I'm sure there were other things too) but that was our introduction... this so called Rabbi was doing this to about a dozen people who were selling and my friend had to sell because she was going through a divorce. It was really disgusting.
Now it's fine. They do their thing, we do ours. My son has an ABA therapist who is part of the chasidish community, I've gotten my sheitel washed by someone. We recently got a new rabbi and more chasidim have been popping onto our shul which is really nice. We have the restaurant and hopefully soon a nice grocery store.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating