Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Is this a normal thing I should have?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:19 pm
[quote="little neshamala"]Monsen NY-I always drink tap water/quote]

Filtered? We put in an expensive reverse osmosis filter plus a water softener, so now we drink that. But the water in Monsey is disgusting and hard. Think of all the sediment it leaves on stuff, that goes into your body. Euw.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:22 pm
Obviously we were not given any such psak about the water being a kashrus issue, I will call a Rav about this to confirm.

I like the way it tastes.

My sister lives in NJ and that water tastes gross to me.

If there is a cheap and easy way to filter it, I'm open to those ideas.

The guest is from overseas and staying a month.

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:22 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
Besides for the kashrus issue nyc water tastes disgusting. I have never been to a house in nyc that didn’t have bottled or filtered water.

Come to my apt! Lol

Elfrida

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:27 pm
amother [ Daylily ] wrote:

Filtered? We put in an expensive reverse osmosis filter plus a water softener, so now we drink that. But the water in Monsey is disgusting and hard. Think of all the sediment it leaves on stuff, that goes into your body. Euw.

Yes, all that sediment. The specifics depend on the location, but it is mainly composed of calcium and magnesium. It doesn't accumulate as sediment inside your body. It is eagerly seized on by your cells and used in many essential bodily functions. People who drink exclusively filtered water are often slightly low on essential minerals.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Obviously we were not given any such psak about the water being a kashrus issue, I will call a Rav about this to confirm.

I like the way it tastes.

My sister lives in NJ and that water tastes gross to me.

If there is a cheap and easy way to filter it, I'm open to those ideas.

The guest is from overseas and staying a month.

You can buy an inexpensive Brita pitcher on Amazon. All
You do is put in the water, and it gets filtered before filling up the pitcher.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:40 pm
For those saying kashrus, do you also use only filtered water to boil a pot of noodles? Or make a big soup that might have 14 cups of water? And if I don't, should I be informing my guests? This never occurred to me.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:41 pm
My husband detests the taste of tap water I buy 1 gallon bottles of water at whole foods for 89 cents its a good compromise.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:42 pm
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
For those saying kashrus, do you also use only filtered water to boil a pot of noodles? Or make a big soup that might have 14 cups of water? And if I don't, should I be informing my guests? This never occurred to me.

I do

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:43 pm
amother [ Lily ] wrote:

I was curious about that as well.

Also for coffee.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:49 pm
I assume most people who dont use the water for kashrus reasons install a filter on their tap. It would get very expensive to use bottled water for everything.

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:50 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I lived in NYC for a few years, and I rented (as did my friends at the time). We all used the filters that go over the faucet (EZ filter was the name I believe). I never looked into the under the sink filter, I assumed it would be expensive and it didn't make sense to put that money into a rental.

Doesn't matter so much what you use, as long as it filters out the microscopic copepods which render NYC drinking water not kosher.

Not everyone holds by this. The key word being microscopic. The halacha refers to seeing with the naked eye. If you put anything under a high powered microscope, the chances are good that you'll find something in it or on it.

If we'd look at our hands under such microscopes, chances are you'll never eat without gloves again.

As always, AYLOR

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:50 pm
amother [ Lily ] wrote:

Yes, because, again, it's literally part of the tap. The water goes through the filter and then into the tap.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We live in NYC. I grew up in NYC. I never had filtered water. We drank water from the tap. Or filled a picture from the tap and kept it in the fridge for cold water.

Filtered or bottles water is just not on my radar. When we have guests we put a few bottled waters in their rooms but we don't use bottled water on the regular. Filtered and bottled water is expensive and not a priority for me.

I have a relative coming to stay and she told me she only drinks bottled or filtered water. She said this as a given. I'm wondering if this is a standard standard and I'm just killing myself slowly with tap water. Is this something I should accommodate?

What are your thoughts?

NYC tap water is great, other places the tap water is gross.

keym

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:51 pm
We use something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Brita-E.....r=8-3

It's an 18 cup Brita filter that we leave on our counter and refill constantly.
We'll fill a big pitcher and put it in the fridge for cold water.
It costs around $30. The filter insert needs to be changed every 3/4 months and that cost around $4/$5.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:52 pm
When I lived in NY, we used a cheap EZ filter (under $10)for kashrus reasons ( I believe this is only an issues in NY and maybe one other state) . It doesn't anything for filtering as far as health, like Brita or other normal water filters. Maybe you could get one just to use for guests who filter their water in NY?

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 1:02 pm
amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:
NYC tap water is great, other places the tap water is gross.

My in laws live in Bergen County, which is also where I grew up. I can't choke that water down, and couldn't either when I was a child and this was long before there was bottled water.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 1:15 pm
It's all a matter of what you are used to. If you grew up drinking bottled water, it's very hard to drink tap water.
I wish I did not grow up with bottled water.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 1:18 pm
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
It's all a matter of what you are used to. If you grew up drinking bottled water, it's very hard to drink tap water.
I wish I did not grow up with bottled water.

Exclusively drinking bottled water is so wasteful.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 1:22 pm
We have filters beneath our sinks, but now I’m thinking about it n where we brush our teeth…

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 1:32 pm
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
Not everyone holds by this. The key word being microscopic. The halacha refers to seeing with the naked eye. If you put anything under a high powered microscope, the chances are good that you'll find something in it or on it.

If we'd look at our hands under such microscopes, chances are you'll never eat without gloves again.

As always, AYLOR

They are not microscopic! I have personally seen them with my own naked eyes. They are more plentiful in some seasons (e.g. Spring) than others, but if tap water is placed on a black plate they can be seen (antenna and all).
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics