Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Is this a normal thing I should have?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 1:34 pm
Wow! This is the 1st time I'm hearing that people in NY drink tap water! I thought that everyone has a filter. I heard that tap water in NYC isn't ok to drink. And it tastes disgusting, even a filter doesn't change the taste. For drinking we use only bottled, for cooking only filtered.
If I'm a guest at someone, I'd assume that their water is filtered. I always take along bottled water because not everyone has. If you don't have a filter, I think you need to get bottled water for the guest.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 1:36 pm
amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:
Exclusively drinking bottled water is so wasteful.

Wasteful? Of what? You drink the water, you don't spill it. And the bottles are recycled. There's no waste involved.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:27 pm
[quote="amother [ Daylily ]"]
little neshamala wrote:
Monsen NY-I always drink tap water/quote]

Filtered? We put in an expensive reverse osmosis filter plus a water softener, so now we drink that. But the water in Monsey is disgusting and hard. Think of all the sediment it leaves on stuff, that goes into your body. Euw.

Just a drink a cup of Vinegar and citric acid once a week and you’ll be good 😆

chanar

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:28 pm
We have a filter on our sinks, and so do many people I know in NYC. I happen to drink mostly bottled water, I just prefer it. I would never knowingly drink unfiltered nyc water.
So your guest isn’t the only one!! Hope you can figure something out! We buy water bottles from Costco, for one person for a few weeks worth of water bottles, it would not cost too much at all…

groovy1224

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:51 pm
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
Not everyone holds by this. The key word being microscopic. The halacha refers to seeing with the naked eye. If you put anything under a high powered microscope, the chances are good that you'll find something in it or on it.

If we'd look at our hands under such microscopes, chances are you'll never eat without gloves again.

As always, AYLOR

You're right. Microscopic is the wrong word. Bugs that can't be seen by the naked eye are not assur. But apparently these copepods are large enough to be visible, which is what render them nonkosher.

Of course, as you say, everyone should ask their LOR.

Aylat

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:58 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Yes, all that sediment. The specifics depend on the location, but it is mainly composed of calcium and magnesium. It doesn't accumulate as sediment inside your body. It is eagerly seized on by your cells and used in many essential bodily functions. People who drink exclusively filtered water are often slightly low on essential minerals.

True that the minerals are essential for health. But commercial filters are way too big to filter them out (the ions are many orders of magnitude smaller than bacteria and even viruses, let alone small crustaceans). Maybe you mean distilled water?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:04 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I was curious about that as well.

Also for coffee.

Anything that needs water, except washing dishes. Meaning if the water is going to be consumed, we use the filter. My husband is even makpid to clean fruits and vegetables only with the filter. I try to remember, but I view that more as washing dishes, so I’m not so careful when he’s not around.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:09 pm
Yes, it is normal. My family only drinks filtered and certain bottled water. Some bottled water taste worse than tap water. During the week they don't drink anything else (except milk) and on Shabbos some of them will drink soda.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:09 pm
Aylat wrote:
True that the minerals are essential for health. But commercial filters are way too big to filter them out (the ions are many orders of magnitude smaller than bacteria and even viruses, let alone small crustaceans). Maybe you mean distilled water?

No, I mean filtered water. Not something like a Brita filter, but a reverse osmosis filter removes all minerals from the water, effectively leaving it dead. Some high quality filters will then replace a proportion of the desirable minerals.

I can't explain the details of the chemistry, but I know it does work that way.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:44 pm
I have guests all the time, for meals and to stay over and I never thought about this.

Should I be warning people?

I wonder if a filter on the tap is a cheap and easy?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:59 pm
You can buy a Brita pitcher for $10. It’s a handy thing to have and way cheaper than bottled

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:06 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Wasteful? Of what? You drink the water, you don't spill it. And the bottles are recycled. There's no waste involved.

Money and plastic.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:07 pm
Wow! This is the 1st time I'm hearing that people in NY drink tap water! I thought that everyone has a filter. I heard that tap water in NYC isn't ok to drink. And it tastes disgusting, even a filter doesn't change the taste. For drinking we use only bottled, for cooking only filtered.
If I'm a guest at someone, I'd assume that their water is filtered. I always take along bottled water because not everyone has. If you don't have a filter, I think you need to get bottled water for the guest.

NYC tap is known to be one of the best tasting tap waters.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:13 pm

It is.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:19 pm
Only tap water, the Rav said I don't must be machmir if I don't want to.
NYC water tastes fine. And I grew up OOT.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, and yes

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:37 pm
Money and plastic.

It's not a waste of money if you drink it. It's not a waste of plastic if you recycle.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:39 pm

I guess if this is what you're used to. We grew up and still drink only bottled, I can't drink tap.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have guests all the time, for meals and to stay over and I never thought about this.

I think so. Maybe ask a sheila?

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:42 pm
It's not a waste of money if you drink it. It's not a waste of plastic if you recycle.

It is a waste of money compared to tap water. It's also bad for the environment even if you recycle. Recycling is expensive. It costs a lot of energy to transport the bottle and melt it down. There's a reason it's "reduce, reuse, recycle" in that order.

Last edited by chanatron1000 on Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics