Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Is this a normal thing I should have?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:51 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
There is no environmental advantage to day old bread, and if everyone were to buy day old bread, it would no longer be cheaper. It's not comparable at all.

Also, even if there is a taste difference, for someone who is lucky enough to live in a part of the world where safe, clean water is readily available to be completely unable to drink it requires that the person be extraordinarily bad at drinking water.

You clearly can't see outside of your tiny little box, so I am leaving this conversation.

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We live in NYC. I grew up in NYC. I never had filtered water. We drank water from the tap. Or filled a picture from the tap and kept it in the fridge for cold water.

Filtered or bottles water is just not on my radar. When we have guests we put a few bottled waters in their rooms but we don't use bottled water on the regular. Filtered and bottled water is expensive and not a priority for me.

I have a relative coming to stay and she told me she only drinks bottled or filtered water. She said this as a given. I'm wondering if this is a standard standard and I'm just killing myself slowly with tap water. Is this something I should accommodate?

What are your thoughts?

Grew up in nyc and can’t stomach tap water.
Bottled water should be a given for guest.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:55 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
You clearly can't see outside of your tiny little box, so I am leaving this conversation.

This isn't the airport, you don't need to announce your departure.

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:55 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
There is no environmental advantage to day old bread, and if everyone were to buy day old bread, it would no longer be cheaper. It's not comparable at all.

Also, even if there is a taste difference, for someone who is lucky enough to live in a part of the world where safe, clean water is readily available to be completely unable to drink it requires that the person be extraordinarily bad at drinking water.

על טעם וריח אין להתווכח

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:56 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
This isn't the airport, you don't need to announce your departure.

Why so rude?

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:56 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Monsen NY-I always drink tap water.
When we have guests I try to remember to buy some bottled if they prefer

Monsey doesn't have the kashrus problem that NYC, including Brooklyn has.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:57 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
Poland Spring is claimed to be spring water, but I personally am suspicious of it because of its bitter taste not found in other spring water or tap water.

Kvall vasser each has it's own taste. Although I can't taste the difference between Poland Springs and other brands. We rarely drink water here. Mostly seltzer.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:59 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Tap water in NYC tastes fine and is clean, no need to get it filtered. I've never seen any creatures mentioned here in tap water, probably not visible to the naked eye.

Unfortunately they have been seen by the naked eye, Henderson the psak to filter the water in nyc.

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 6:03 pm
Monsey. I have a water cooler with Poland spring water.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 6:33 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
Why so rude?

I personally consider it more rude to make a post insulting someone and announcing one's exit.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:01 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Unfortunately they have been seen by the naked eye, Henderson the psak to filter the water in nyc.

They are microscopic; they cannot be seen by the naked eye.

scruffy

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:03 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

The rabbi who taught us halacha in high school brought in small tubes filled with the NYC tap water. You definitely can see them although they are small and translucent.

Another mom

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:53 pm
Sounds awful! Even ppl who don't keep kosher should be aware!

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:25 am
vintagebknyc wrote:

I have seen them (and I don’t own a microscope).

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:36 am
vintagebknyc wrote:

The presence of copepods in the New York City water supply system has caused problems for some Jewish people who observe kashrut. Copepods, being crustaceans, are not kosher, nor are they quite small enough to be ignored as nonfood microscopic organisms, since some specimens can be seen with the naked eye. When a group of rabbis in Brooklyn, New York, discovered the copepods in the summer of 2004, they triggered such debate in rabbinic circles that some observant Jews felt compelled to buy and install filters for their water.[32] The water was ruled kosher by posek Yisrael Belsky.[33]
Source: Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copepod

(It should be noted that R’ Belsky ztz”l was a daas yachid on this issue, as most Rabbanim did/do not agree with him.)

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 1:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My sister lives in NJ and that water tastes gross to me.

We pay $16 a month for an under sink filter that makes our water taste good. I grew up drinking from those huge Poland spring dispensers and hearing our NJ water is unhealthy, so I dislike the taste and drink our filtered water in reusable contigo bottles.

I do however like to keep a 24-pack of bottled water or two (or three) around “just in case” or for trips where I don’t want to lose our contigo bottles. You can find them for $4-$5 a package in many larger shops.

Dahlia

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 2:31 am
Many people in NYC filter because of the bugs, but it’s not so simple. You really have to ask your Rav and find out what he holds. Also there are cheap and easy filters. Below is a link to a filter that you can easily purchase in NYC at a Judaic store and I have even seen it in my local grocery store. https://sites.google.com/site/.....price

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 2:47 am
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
The water was ruled kosher by posek Yisrael Belsky.[33]
Source: Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copepod

(It should be noted that R’ Belsky ztz”l was a daas yachid on this issue, as most Rabbanim did/do not agree with him.)

I'm glad you're mentioning R' Belsky ztzl because he was my father's Rav (from long before the copepod scandal) and so we grew up that the water in NYC wasn't an issue. I was surprised by the attitude on this thread that the water is point-blank treif.

I'm pretty sensitive to taste and never minded our Brooklyn water -tasted fine to me. Upstate NY the water tastes gross like eggs. Some bottled water also tastes gross - like it absorbed bottle taste. And btw, Dasani water is literally tap water from a municipality in Pennsylvania that's been filtered. You can save money and filter it yourself. Speaking of which, those cotton swab filters always seemed gross to me and make me wonder how much bacteria is collecting in the wet cotton.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:59 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I'm glad you're mentioning R' Belsky ztzl because he was my father's Rav (from long before the copepod scandal) and so we grew up that the water in NYC wasn't an issue. I was surprised by the attitude on this thread that the water is point-blank treif.

I'm pretty sensitive to taste and never minded our Brooklyn water -tasted fine to me. Upstate NY the water tastes gross like eggs. Some bottled water also tastes gross - like it absorbed bottle taste. And btw, Dasani water is literally tap water from a municipality in Pennsylvania that's been filtered. You can save money and filter it yourself. Speaking of which, those cotton swab filters always seemed gross to me and make me wonder how much bacteria is collecting in the wet cotton.

I don’t think ppl are thinking Dasani when it comes to bottled water. Most ppl I know think it’s gross.

Kosher or not the bug in the water situation seems beyond awful 😵‍💫

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 5:36 am
I think people need to differentiate between a faucet filter that filters out bugs vs. a proper filtering system.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics