Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Are you a Genius?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am male. If John's son is my son's father, what is the relationship between John and me?
He is my...?

Father.

If you are male, you are your son's father. Therefore "John's son is my son's father" = "John's son is me." So John is your father.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:25 pm
DrMom wrote:
Father.

If you are male, you are your son's father. Therefore "John's son is my son's father" = "John's son is me." So John is your father.

Correct!

mum22

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OK, here's a riddle that my father used to tell over...

Reuven, Shimon and Levi were traveling together. Since it was almost shabbos they had to stop over at an inn. They asked the owner of the inn if he had a safe they could keep their wallets in. The owner replied that there was a rental fee of $30 to put one object into the safe.

One of the men thought that this was a waste of money, so he suggested to the two other travelers that they should put their three wallets together into one bag. This way they could split the payment between the three of them. The other two men agreed and put their wallets into a single bag.

However, since the men were essentially strangers, they told the innkeeper not to return the bag to them unless all three men were present. The innkeeper agreed.

After shabbos, Reuvein approached the innkeeper and asked for the bag in the safe. The innkeeper said, "wait, you said I shouldn't return the wallet without all three of you present!"

The man replied that the other two guys were standing right there and called to them. The men waved from a distance, indicating that it's okay. The innkeeper went and retrieved the bag with the three wallets and handed it to Reuvein. Reuvein promptly exited the premises from a side door and disappeared.

A few minutes later, Shimon and Levi realized that Reuvein had not returned with the wallets.

They went to the innkeeper to ask them if the bag was still there. The innkeeper said that he returned the bag to Reuvein. They all realized that Reuvein stole the money.

Now Shimon and Levi demanded that the innkeeper compensate them for their losses. They claimed that the innkeeper had agreed not to return the bag unless all three men were there, and yet he returned it to Reuvein alone. He insisted that he saw them wave so he assumed that was good enough.

Shimon and Levi took the innkeeper to a din Torah. They both presented their side of the story.

In the end, the bais din ruled in favor of the innkeeper.

What was the innkeeper's defense?

Reuvein wasn't there now, so innkeeper can't return the bag to the other two!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:37 pm
mum22 wrote:
Reuvein wasn't there now, so innkeeper can't return the bag to the other two!

Correct!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:49 pm
The day before the day before yesterday is 3 days after Saturday. What day is it today?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:51 pm
Hey. I wonder if the genius from the original AMA thread is on here. She asked for brainteasers, and this thread is full of them.

If you are here, hi! Thanks for spawning this fun thread.

mum22

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The day before the day before yesterday is 3 days after Saturday. What day is it today?

So 3 days ago is 3 days after Saturday. So today is Friday.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 5:06 pm
mum22 wrote:
So 3 days ago is 3 days after Saturday. So today is Friday.

Correct!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 6:55 pm
How is it possible to divide 7 apples between 12 kids, in a way that each kid will receive an equal portion of apple, without dividing the apples into 6 or any number that is divisible by 6?

shanie5

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How is it possible to divide 7 apples between 12 kids, in a way that each kid will receive an equal portion of apple, without dividing the apples into 6 or any number that is divisible by 6?

Make Applesauce!

mum22

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:55 am
Divide 3 apples into 4 pieces each. Divide the remaining 4 apples into 3 pieces each. Each child then gets a ‘quarter piece’ and a ‘third piece’.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Divide each apple into 8 for 56 pieces. Each kids gets 4. Now there are 8 pieces left, divide each into 3 for 24 pieces. Each kid gets 2 more.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 4:59 pm
A + B + C =216
A + C = 3B
2B + 2C = A

A=?, B=?, C=?

mum22

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 6:21 pm
A = 144
B = 54
C = 18