Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
MAY vs Netzach vs Yeshiva Far Rockaway

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 10:03 am
We are moving to the five towns for next year and have a son who will be entering 9th grade. Our younger boys will either end up in Darchei or YKLI and our girls probably in TAG. How do these three high schools compare in crowd and academics. Why would someone choose one over the other? What schools do the boys come from and where do they end up after highschool. Any information is greatly appreciated.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 3:29 pm
Bump.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 6:09 pm
I cannot compare the three, I only know one. Any questions about MAY, I can answer.

I would rate it 10/10. I have never seen a yeshiva so well run, period. The boys LOVE going, they do not like to miss. The environment is the most amazing environment I have ever seen in any school.

cnc

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 6:22 pm
amother [ Rainbow ] wrote:
I cannot compare the three, I only know one. Any questions about MAY, I can answer.

I would rate it 10/10. I have never seen a yeshiva so well run, period. The boys LOVE going, they do not like to miss. The environment is the most amazing environment I have ever seen in any school.

Agree . I know quite a few people that go there and they are all very happy.

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:49 am

Hi could you please tell me what options there are for dorming if any?

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:47 pm
amother [ Ballota ] wrote:
Hi could you please tell me what options there are for dorming if any?

I don't know of anyone who dorms, I don't know if there are any boys from out of the area. There is transportation from all surrounding areas in LI as well as Queens & Brooklyn.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:24 pm
YFR is a little more right-wing hashkafically than MAY & Netzach

Netzach is a little weaker academically than YFR & MAY

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:37 pm
I don't know of anyone who dorms, I don't know if there are any boys from out of the area. There is transportation from all surrounding areas in LI as well as Queens & Brooklyn.

This is helpful ty!

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:44 pm
I cannot speak of the others but my son is in 12th grade at MAY and could not be happier. I echo the positive things the previous posters said. The hanhala really know what they are doing and care about each boy.

It is not yeshivish at all. Boys come from a variety of schools, many from South Shore.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:46 pm
YFR has a dorm.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:54 pm
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
I cannot speak of the others but my son is in 12th grade at MAY and could not be happier. I echo the positive things the previous posters said. The hanhala really know what they are doing and care about each boy.

It is not yeshivish at all. Boys come from a variety of schools, many from South Shore.

I would call it at the left most edge of yeshivish, yet still definitely yeshivish in hashkafa, maybe MO machmir in dress, geared towards working but kovea itim lifestyle. But a large amount of the 12th grade has decided to wear white shirts this year on their own, that is a yeshivish thing 😄

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:04 pm
I think May is more hashkafically aligned with south shore than darchei or ykli

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:48 pm
YFR has only 1 class and only accepts top boys. The hashkafa is more to the right than the other 2. I think the 9th grade has mishmor 4 times a week. Two boys who started in YFR this year left.

Netzach is a small school, only 1 class per grade. They are very competitive now as they can be selective because the 5towns has become so popular. I think it's slightly to the right but close to the center. May is probably in the center. They have parallel classes, but again, they've gotten more competitive as they had over 100 applicants for around 40 spots. (Siblings are basically guaranteed a spot.) They have a new rule this year that the boys can't bring their smart phones to yeshiva. Previously they had to give it in.
I can tell you that all 3 have far more applicants than spots available. An average kid without money will likely not get in. I personally know people who offered money and were turned down.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:19 pm
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
YFR has only 1 class and only accepts top boys. The hashkafa is more to the right than the other 2. I think the 9th grade has mishmor 4 times a week. Two boys who started in YFR this year left.

Netzach is a small school, only 1 class per grade. They are very competitive now as they can be selective because the 5towns has become so popular. I think it's slightly to the right but close to the center. May is probably in the center. They have parallel classes, but again, they've gotten more competitive as they had over 100 applicants for around 40 spots. (Siblings are basically guaranteed a spot.) They have a new rule this year that the boys can't bring their smart phones to yeshiva. Previously they had to give it in.
I can tell you that all 3 have far more applicants than spots available. An average kid without money will likely not get in. I personally know people who offered money and were turned down.

MAY does not accept based on money, it has no place in the application process at all. They take the boys who will be the best fit to the environment. I do not know if they limit the spots or not, but there are boys there on scholarships, there is a fundraising event to fund that every year.

Not partial to these three schools, it is not something I suggest paying attention to when applying. You are looking for a good fit and a good environment for your child. The right school will work out.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:51 am
MAY does not accept based on money, it has no place in the application process at all. They take the boys who will be the best fit to the environment. I do not know if they limit the spots or not, but there are boys there on scholarships, there is a fundraising event to fund that every year.

Not partial to these three schools, it is not something I suggest paying attention to when applying. You are looking for a good fit and a good environment for your child. The right school will work out.

There's no question that on May's application they ask if you will be requesting financial aid. How much of a factor that is I don't know, but the question is there for a reason.

May is a very good school and I know many families that are happy there. But like ANY other school, the acceptance process is not 100% merit based. Students with pull have an advantage over the others.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:28 am

My son is an all around average boy. Good kid. not class president material but a solid boy. scores A's and B's. We are an average family not rich or well connected and we are just going to be moving in the summer. He thinks Darchei high school is too right wing for him and from what I am hearing I believe he is right. I looked into Nishmas and while I am sure its a fantastic school for the right boy I do not think it is for him either. What other local highschool do you suggest I apply to as a safe school if these don't work out.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 4:36 am
There's no question that on May's application they ask if you will be requesting financial aid. How much of a factor that is I don't know, but the question is there for a reason.

I think it is there to limit the scholarship spots to what is budgeted for.

OP, I doubt there are any "safe" schools. The average is they say apply to 3 places. Most kids do. That is why the schools have so many more applicants than spots.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 5:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My son is an all around average boy. Good kid. not class president material but a solid boy. scores A's and B's. We are an average family not rich or well connected and we are just going to be moving in the summer. He thinks Darchei high school is too right wing for him and from what I am hearing I believe he is right. I looked into Nishmas and while I am sure its a fantastic school for the right boy I do not think it is for him either. What other local highschool do you suggest I apply to as a safe school if these don't work out.

I would suggest DRS, but I have a feeling it's probably too modern even though there is definitely a minority haimesh black hat crowd who feels the education is better over there.

You're right about nishmas. Unfortunately they are basically taking lots of the boys that couldn't get into the better schools. The principal told my husband that the current 11th and 12th grades are not the best but the lower high school grades are getting better. To be honest, if your son is a good boy then putting him in nishmas is taking a chance.

I think you should just apply to YFAR, netzach, and MAY. Hopefully he gets into 1 of them. If you have anyone to advocate for you it is important to do so BEFORE the acceptance letters are sent out. What happens in these schools is that 70 families get wait list letters and the menahel is bombarded with calls trying to push a rejected kid in. It's much harder at that point. If the faher is in December and the acceptance letters go out first week of February, have someone call in mid-January. Hatslacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics