Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Leaving stuff behind for next tenant- is it wrong?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:52 pm
we were renting for the past few years and just moved to a diff state
the landlord called me today that I left behind some cleaning supplies under the sink, a garbage bin, and hangers.

I did that on purpose for the next tenant. I remember when I moved in there werent any hangers or a garbage bin and I figured to just leave them bc I dont need it where we moved to

im feeling really stupid and inconsiderate that I didnt check with the landlord first.

when u moved, did u leave hangers in the closet?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:55 pm
Many times when things are left behind it gives off a not clean impression that someone else’s stuff are in your new supposedly clean and empty place. What you left isn’t such a big deal tell the landlord to throw it out if she doesn’t want to leave it for the tenant. I had the same scenario.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:58 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Many times when things are left behind it gives off a not clean impression that someone else’s stuff are in your new supposedly clean and empty place. What you left isn’t such a big deal tell the landlord to throw it out if she doesn’t want to leave it for the tenant. I had the same scenario.

we live about 2 hours away and she kind of said she'd put it aside for us when we come to visit my parents next time im in town so I think that was her way of saying to pick it up

I cleaned, mopped, and scrubbed the apartment after we left its spotless

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:13 pm
When I moved in (2x, 2 different places) I really didn't appreciate anything being left by previous tenants/owners. It felt like someone was too lazy to actually take all their "junk" with them, even if the stuff wasn't actually junk.

Neh... I really don't want your old garbage bin, hangers or bits of cleaning supplies. You can tell the landlord to toss the stuff if you don't wanna bother picking it up.

lovingmommy3417

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:18 pm
I hated having things left behind. I dont want your old stuff. The last time we moved let's just say the tenant left way too much stuff and I had to spend time getting rid of it. Took hours giving stuff away. Such a pain. Tried to get the old tenants to do it but they kept saying they would but never did.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:19 pm
Oh no. I hope they dont think we are neglectful.
my husband actually wanted to throw everything out but I thought that it was a nice gesture to leave hangers for them.

Also the cleaning supplies were all full.

Yikes. Im so embarrased now.

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:27 pm
I wouldn’t worry because your heart was in the right place but I do agree that most people moving in would probably want a clean slate.

I wouldn’t use cleaning supplies left behind and although it seems wasteful most people are over supplied with wire hangers. When I organized my closets last year I transferred everything to those thin velveteen hangers which are amazing in terms of taking up less space. I kept a few heavy duty wood hangers and gave away a lot of the wood ones to neighbors. No one wanted wire hangers but maybe if you were ambitious a tjrift store might be able to use them for displays.

You might ask neighbors if they can use cleaning supplies and other items like that. I would be happy to use supplies from someone I knew as opposed to not knowing what might actually be in bottles left behind.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:34 pm
Amarante wrote:
I wouldn’t worry because your heart was in the right place but I do agree that most people moving in would probably want a clean slate.

I wouldn’t use cleaning supplies left behind and although it seems wasteful most people are over supplied with wire hangers. When I organized my closets last year I transferred everything to those thin velveteen hangers which are amazing in terms of taking up less space. I kept a few heavy duty wood hangers and gave away a lot of the wood ones to neighbors. No one wanted wire hangers but maybe if you were ambitious a tjrift store might be able to use them for displays.

You might ask neighbors if they can use cleaning supplies and other items like that. I would be happy to use supplies from someone I knew as opposed to not knowing what might actually be in bottles left behind.

oy ur right
im not going to ask anyone, ill just trash everything and run with my tail tucked between my legs!

kenz

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh no. I hope they dont think we are neglectful.
my husband actually wanted to throw everything out but I thought that it was a nice gesture to leave hangers for them.

Also the cleaning supplies were all full.

Yikes. Im so embarrased now.

I really don't see the big deal. You meant well, if they want to use the cleaning supplies, they can, if not, not - if I found full bottles, I would use them - why not?
I wouldn't want your hangers and probably not your trash can, but I wouldn't feel overburdened at having to dispose of them.
You meant well, you tried to do something that you personally would have appreciated. That's called a mitzvah in my book.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:53 pm
Not everyone minds. I found the things a previous tenant left behind very useful.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 11:01 pm
The person we bought our house from left tissues, toilet cleaner and hand soap in one of the bathrooms on the main floor. It was so helpful when we didn’t yet move in, but kept coming to the house... we also had workers in the house.....
They also left a broom that we use and some other paraphernalia that we are in the process of throwing out. As long as the place looks clean I wouldn’t worry that your hangers made the place look dirty.

singleagain

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 11:13 pm
My understanding is that some places have laws about not leaving anything. I think it's called like.. broom.clean...

Cookin4days

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 11:21 pm
You’re so sweet to do that! Don’t be embarrassed at all, it’s such a thoughtful gesture

paperflowers

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 11:27 pm
I appreciated the cleaning supplies left behind when we moved in. We were on a super tight budget so free stuff was awesome. Also, in Shana rishona I barely knew toilet bowl cleaner from dish soap so it was almost like getting a starter pack I could sample from. I didn’t appreciate broken bookshelves or appliances like coffee makers or toaster ovens. Garbage bin was fine. I didn’t need it, but didn’t mind that they left it. Next time we move might be a different story because our situation is different, but I don’t think you should feel bad that you left those things.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:17 am
Personally I wouldn’t appreciate having anything that wasn’t mine in my new home, I would feel like someone left behind their “trash”. I like things clean, spotless and most importantly empty..

It’s a nice gesture though and now you know for future situations to ask first. If it’s nothing you need or want, tell the landlord to get rid of it (if he doesn’t mind, otherwise pick it up next time)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:22 am
thx everyone
its kind of annoying to drive 2 hours from OOT to just throw out hangers and a garbage bin but whatever ill make a trip of it
and yes ill play it safe next time and leave nothing
thx! hope we didnt leave a bad impression on them

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 1:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thx everyone
its kind of annoying to drive 2 hours from OOT to just throw out hangers and a garbage bin but whatever ill make a trip of it
and yes ill play it safe next time and leave nothing
thx! hope we didnt leave a bad impression on them

Do you have a friend who would pick it up for you and throw it out?

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 3:25 am
OP, I think you're wonderful! There's a world of difference between leaving a load of junk that needs to be cleared (as we found, folks!) Mad and a few thoughtful things that you would have appreciated on your own arrival. Kudos to you x

myname1

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 3:40 am
We found a lot of useful things when we moved in. Kept what we wanted and threw out what we didn't. I would just tell the landlord sorry, I really thought it's helpful, can you please just throw them away if you'd rather not keep them or pass them on? It seems really silly to make a 2 hour trip for this!

twizzlers1

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 3:53 am
Please do not make a special trip to pick them up. You were doing it to be thoughtful.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating