Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Can you please explain what prom is

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 6:30 pm
Didn't know under which category this falls under. I also wanted it to be anonymous enabled.
I've seen many clips on you tube about various topics. Alot of them mentioning a teenager going to prom. Choosing somebody to go to prom with. Can somebody please explain to me what it is? I gather that it's a major event.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 6:32 pm
In non-jewish schools, when one graduates high school, the school makes a very fancy dance-party.

It is called THE PROM - and girls buy fancy dresses/gowns and boys rent tuxedos.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 6:36 pm
They have proms at Jewish schools too. Secular and also some religious schools. It's a fancy graduation party with dancing. Each graduate comes with a "partner". In my OOT community one school has separate dancing.

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:11 pm
It's basically a dance where there's a DJ. The kids dance. There is usually dinner or refreshments. Boys rent a tux and girls buy a fancy gown. It's not always about seniors. My high school had a Junior Prom. I went with my friends and did not go with a date. It's called Stag. I turned a few boys down.
It's practially a right of passage of many kids. Very American and cultural. There are Jewish schools who also have prom too.

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:13 pm
From what I understand there is sometimes a prom queen. Anyone can clarify?

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:15 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
From what I understand there is sometimes a prom queen. Anyone can clarify?

It's an elected position. An honor. Like Chosson Torah or Chosson Breishis only you achieve it through popularity. Basically the Prom King and Queen are called up and crowned and besides that they don't really do anything.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:17 pm
I thought prom was like what they had in the olden days the girls danced in front of the boys who chose a wife

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:18 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
It's an elected position. An honor. Like Chosson Torah or Chosson Breishis only you achieve it through popularity. Basically the Prom King and Queen are called up and crowned and besides that they don't really do anything.

Yes. Usually it's the head cheer leader and the captain of the football team.

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:20 pm
I came here to explain but knew in my heart it was already explained.

my mother didn’t let me go to high school prom lol. It was 70$ a ticket. 65$ if you had a date. I anyway wasn’t interested….but now looking back I definitely missed out on making memories with my old school friends.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:23 pm
You can read this in detail.
https://teens.lovetoknow.com/W.....Night
Basically it's the last big bash of the year for graduating high schoolers, hosted by the school. It's a thing to be asked to the prom and to have a proper date. Gowns and tuxedos are worn. Formal photos with one's date are a must. Popularity crowns are won. Proms are sometimes infamously known for alcohol and s-x at after parties.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:23 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

I'm dead Rolling Laughter

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:24 pm
Thank you everybody. It was very well explained.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:25 pm
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:
I'm dead Rolling Laughter

Hahaha I am so glad that amused someone! I was digging for a frum analogy!

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:29 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
It's an elected position. An honor. Like Chosson Torah or Chosson Breishis only you achieve it through popularity.

Lehavdil.

No idea what prom is but lehavdil definitely belongs there.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:01 pm
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
Lehavdil.

No idea what it is but lehavdil definitely belongs there.

You used "lehavdil" appropriately.

Lehavdil means "to separate" so when you compare something sacred to something secular
you say "lehavdil" meaning really no comparison.

If you want to really emphasize you can say "lehavdil, elef havdolos" which means
to separate with a THOUSAND separations!

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:02 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
You used "lehavdil" appropriately.

Lehavdil means "to separate" so when you compare something sacred to something secular
you say "lehavdil" meaning really no comparison.

If you want to really emphasize you can say "lehavdil, elef havdolos" which means
to separate with a THOUSAND separations!

I know what lehavdil is. I meant to say I don't know what prom is but I still know lehavdil belongs here.

miami85

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:56 pm
Prom is short for "Promenade" back in the days when young women and young gentlemen didn't start dating or "courting" until 16, 17 or later it was a way for young ladies to be formally presented as eligible or part of society in some parts of the country it was known as a "debutante ball" but "prom" was more colloquial as "debutante" was more upper class but Prom was for more middle class. Those held in highest regard were dubbed the "prom king and prom queen"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics