Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler climbing put of crib. Help!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:11 pm
My baby is 2 and started to say "no crib" before I put her in for the night. Any ideas to get her excited to go in? I'm not ready for her to be a bed!

challahchallah

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:19 pm
Could you get new sheets with a special design? Pick a small stuffed animal that she can only have when in the crib?

Also make sure to physically prevent her from climbing out, by lowering the mattress height (a handyman can help make an extra level lower than the built in ones), using a sleep sack / special anti climbing pajamas, or some other method.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 2:25 am
Just because you're not ready doesn't mean she isn't! If she's climbing out of her crib, it seems like it's time for her to be in a bed. Please don't delay her development by keeping her in a crib after she's showing clear signs of readiness for the next step.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 3:04 am
amother [ Lightyellow ] wrote:
Just because you're not ready doesn't mean she isn't! If she's climbing out of her crib, it seems like it's time for her to be in a bed. Please don't delay her development by keeping her in a crib after she's showing clear signs of readiness for the next step.

Just because she has the physical climbing skills to get out, doesn’t mean she’s ready from a developmental standpoint. Kids sleep better when they’re in a crib until at least 3, and good sleep is important for so much of growth and health.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/.....05707

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 3:16 am
challahchallah wrote:
Could you get new sheets with a special design? Pick a small stuffed animal that she can only have when in the crib?

Also make sure to physically prevent her from climbing out, by lowering the mattress height (a handyman can help make an extra level lower than the built in ones), using a sleep sack / special anti climbing pajamas, or some other method.

I agree with the first part (getting something special for the crib) but don't like the anti-climbing pajamas.

When my kids climbed out of beds or cribs before they should, I spent 2-3 days on alert, non-dramatically replaced them where they were supposed to be sleeping, calmly repeating that at night, we stay in our beds. It rarely happened again afterwards.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 3:35 am
challahchallah wrote:
Just because she has the physical climbing skills to get out, doesn’t mean she’s ready from a developmental standpoint. Kids sleep better when they’re in a crib until at least 3, and good sleep is important for so much of growth and health.

Oof I don't agree with this article. I know from personal experience that if a kid is struggling with a sleeping arrangement, changing it can be a huge help. Deciding that a crib is better until the kid is 3 because the parents are more rested is highly questionable.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 5:28 am
My kid could only climb out headfirst. I'm very thankful I was in the room the first time she tried to dive across the room and catch her. Then I immediately put her back to bed in the bed we had in the room. Once they're climbing out, it's too easy for them to get hurt in the process so I move straight to a bed

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:55 am
This is what toddler beds --or mattresses on the floor--are for. Not all children need this intermediate arrangement but some do. There are zippered tent-like gizmos that can be attached to a crib to prevent a child from climbing out, but I don't think they're all that effective. Child safety experts--that is, safety experts who specialize in child safety, not psychologists-- agree that once a child is physically able to climb out of a crib, it's time to get him out.

A question: Does "no crib" mean "I don't want to be in this humiliating cage" or "I don't want to go to bed"? A toddler bed or a mattress on the floor will solve the first but not the second.

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:58 am
challahchallah wrote:

This is a load of BS.
"Developmental standpoint"? How did children sleep for all of history before $$ cribs were invented? They bed shared or coslept or slept on the floor.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:11 am
Thank you for your replies! I guess a good experiment would be to put her on mattress on the floor in her room and see if she says "no bed" then...then we know it's not about going to sleep but rather being in the crib.
Or to try a new teddy or something...I was thinking of printing out a family picture onto a pillow and put it in her crib so she feels more secure. I think she's scared or something because she points to the light and says "no more buggy!" But there are no bugs there and there never was! I show her all over look no buggy!

She is definitely tired because when she refuses and starts climbing out and I take her out, she'll fall straight asleep in my arms or in my bed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics