Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Reduce chances of adverse reactions

chick567

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 11:47 am
If someone feels they have no choice and must get vaccinated but is afraid of adverse reactions:
Is there anything that can be done to reduce the risk of adverse reactions from the covid vaccine?
Like if someone is afraid of getting a blood clot is there a blood test they can take before to measure if she has a high or low chance of a blood clot? Is there anything she can take afterwards to monitor or prevent a blood clot?

What about a teenage boy who is at risk of myocarditis? Is there anything to do before or after to assess actual risk and monitor afterwards?

How long afterwards is a person still at risk of an adverse reaction? How long should a person be monitored for until they can feel reassured they won’t drop dead?

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:26 pm
I heard from an English popular youtube retired teaching nurse, (forgot his name) it is very important that it be given correctly and they are not training the people to do it correctly. He said if on accident it gets injected into a blood vessel accidently instead of muscle tissue only it is akin to an iv, can go straight to the heart.

For young boys and men, the risk is just too high, especially if there is a family history of heart troubles, to seem chance worthy.

Can he alter his plans? If he has proof of antibodies can he continue his plans in a country that recognizes natural immunity?

J&J seems to be supposedly highest in blood clots. Moderna is the highest dose of the three.

Who knows what is true?

ls8747

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:05 pm
Most severe allergic reactions would appear in the first 15 minutes. That's why they monitor you for that long after the vaccine when you get it. The chance of this sort of reaction is about 11 out of every 1 million people that gets the shot (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7002e1.htm).

Myocarditis occurs in approximately 1 out of 6000 teenagers who get the shot (https://health.ucdavis.edu/health-news/newsroom/heart-inflammation-covid-19-and-the-rare-side-effects-of-the-vaccine/2021/09). For comparison, the chance of developing myocarditis from covid infection without the vaccine is about 146 out of 1000 cases (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7035e5.htm).

Myocarditis symptoms would typically be seen within a week after the vaccine. You would see chest pain, pounding/fluttering heart, and/or shortness of breath. (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/myocarditis.html). It is treatable. Wishing you and your family health.

Editing to add - blood clots have only been a risk with the JJ shot, so would do pfizer or moderna to eliminate that concern.(https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/coronavirus-vaccine-blood-clots).

Elfrida

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:16 pm
amother [ Starflower ] wrote:
I heard from an English popular youtube retired teaching nurse, (forgot his name) it is very important that it be given correctly and they are not training the people to do it correctly. He said if on accident it gets injected into a blood vessel accidently instead of muscle tissue only it is akin to an iv, can go straight to the heart.

How is he seeing people injecting it I to a blood vessel? The deltoid muscle is pretty hard to miss.

95% of the time it doesn't even bleed afterwards. When it does, a minor drop doesn't mean it has been injected into a blood vessel. It means the needle touched a capillary in passing.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:55 pm
ls8747 wrote:
Most severe allergic reactions would appear in the first 15 minutes. That's why they monitor you for that long after the vaccine when you get it. The chance of this sort of reaction is about 11 out of every 1 million people that gets the shot (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7002e1.htm).

Myocarditis occurs in approximately 1 out of 6000 teenagers who get the shot (https://health.ucdavis.edu/health-news/newsroom/heart-inflammation-covid-19-and-the-rare-side-effects-of-the-vaccine/2021/09). For comparison, the chance of developing myocarditis from covid infection without the vaccine is about 146 out of 1000 cases (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7035e5.htm).

Myocarditis symptoms would typically be seen within a week after the vaccine. You would see chest pain, pounding/fluttering heart, and/or shortness of breath. (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/myocarditis.html). It is treatable. Wishing you and your family health.

Editing to add - blood clots have only been a risk with the JJ shot, so would do pfizer or moderna to eliminate that concern.(https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/coronavirus-vaccine-blood-clots).

The statistics you quoted from the CDC’s website do not factor in the tens of thousands of reported instances of myocarditis, which have yet to be investigated. The actual rate of instances of myocarditis is hundreds of times greater when factoring in these instances. (Health care professionals have contacted the CDC to ask why their statistics remain unchanged months after adverse effects have been reported but these inquiries have gone unanswered since August).

It’s also important to note that the risk of myocarditis from Covid is drastically different from the risk of myocarditis from the vaccine when you factor in age. The highest risk for myocarditis post-vaccine is in males under the age of 40. In the link you provided above, it states that the median age for those suffering from myocarditis post-Covid is 50. So there is definitely reason to be concerned about the potential side effect of myocarditis from the vaccine for a young healthy male.

Op, if you can use a religious exemption (sadly you likely won’t get a medical exemption due to the threat of medical license revocation) or find another way to avoid vaccination, it’s the best thing you can do for your son.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:58 pm
If I absolutely had no other option I would take ivermectin as it seems to have some protective effect against spike protein which is causing myocarditis, and proteolytic enzymes like Serrapeptase and lumbrokinase to prevent blood clots.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:42 pm
Elfrida wrote:
How is he seeing people injecting it I to a blood vessel? The deltoid muscle is pretty hard to miss.

95% of the time it doesn't even bleed afterwards. When it does, a minor drop doesn't mean it has been injected into a blood vessel. It means the needle touched a capillary in passing.

He says that is why it is a small percent, but it should be zero chances.

His channel is Dr John Campbell and the video is called Inadvertant Intravenous Injections, posted two weeks ago.

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:11 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
The statistics you quoted from the CDC’s website do not factor in the tens of thousands of reported instances of myocarditis, which have yet to be investigated. The actual rate of instances of myocarditis is hundreds of times greater when factoring in these instances. (Health care professionals have contacted the CDC to ask why their statistics remain unchanged months after adverse effects have been reported but these inquiries have gone unanswered since August).

It’s also important to note that the risk of myocarditis from Covid is drastically different from the risk of myocarditis from the vaccine when you factor in age. The highest risk for myocarditis post-vaccine is in males under the age of 40. In the link you provided above, it states that the median age for those suffering from myocarditis post-Covid is 50. So there is definitely reason to be concerned about the potential side effect of myocarditis from the vaccine for a young healthy male.

Op, if you can use a religious exemption (sadly you likely won’t get a medical exemption due to the threat of medical license revocation) or find another way to avoid vaccination, it’s the best thing you can do for your son.

Yes, the number I saw was *between* (iow, it's not really clear, depends on how the numbers are reported, etc.) 1 in 2,500 to 1 in 4,000 cases of myocarditis or pericarditis in young men.

The Nordic countries just banned Moderna in young men because of these risks.

ggdm

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:20 am
Blood clots are a (slight) risk for young women on the pill with the Johnson and Johnson vaccine and the AstraZeneca vaccine. As a young woman, take a different vaccine. If you cannot do that: Go to the hospital at once if you feel any numbness or strong head ache. Most blood clots can be treated with no permanent damage.

Myocarditis is a (slight) risk for young males with the Moderna vaccine or Biontech/Pfizer vaccine. As a young man, take a different vaccine. If you cannot do that: Take it easy*, go to the hospital if you feel pain in the heart. Most cases of Myocarditis resolve and are not permanent.

Most adverse effects occur fast, because the vaccine does not stay in the body long. If there is anything off in the few days after the vaccine, call your doctor. In general, take it easy for a few days. If you don't notice anything for about two weeks, odds are you are fine. I would consult my doctor before taking medication before or after vaccination. Medication may influence the immune response.

Statistically, there is a very high chance of being fine. Think positive and expect to be fine, this also helps.

* Myocarditis risk is higher when you "power through" something your body is fighting, whether a vaccination or a virus.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:53 am
Everybody I know who had an any reaction (which is a minority of the people I know) just had mild flu-like symptoms -- same as with many other vaccines. Stay hydrated, have water, orange juice, etc. on hand.

I think you are worrying a bit too much.

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 6:29 am
Of the small percentage of young men who developed myocarditis, a small percentage of those were hospitalized. Correct me if I am mistaken but I believe I saw it reported that there was a grand total of zero deaths.

tryinghard

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:23 am
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
Of the small percentage of young men who developed myocarditis, a small percentage of those were hospitalized. Correct me if I am mistaken but I believe I saw it reported that there was a grand total of zero deaths.

Only a small percentage of those who have developed a life-long heart condition have been hospitalized - SO FAR - and none of them have died - YET.

The downplaying of a serious heart condition in young people who were never at risk to begin with astounds me.

OP - when DH was concerned about taking the vaccine, the doctor told us that he would be best off not taking it if he already had COVID. If he had no choice, J&J was slightly better because it requires only one dose. And the doctor recommended taking aspirin daily for a few weeks.

(Of course, now that Israel put out a study that found that aspirin vastly improved Covid outcomes, we are suddenly seeing articles about how aspirin isn’t as safe as we thought 😂 but I wouldn’t place much stock in that claim, given the source: “a US panel of experts” and the timing.)

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:07 am

That's if you believe those numbers that were reported...

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 10:21 am
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, keep moving your arm, particularly on second shot (if modern/pfizer)--plan that starting around 6-12 hours after, you'll be a bit tired, possibly for a couple days. Have tylenol on the ready and be able to clear your calendar so you can rest and not drive yourself nuts. Plan for take out, taking time off from work, etc. so it doesn't cramp your plans.

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:28 pm

There is denial in both camps. Covid deniers deny that there is a real risk, saying Covid is “just like the flu” and claiming that hospitals majorly inflate or skew the numbers of those dying. Covid-vaccine-injury deniers quote the statistics on the CDC’s website, claiming the vaccine is safe and serious side effects are rare. And that those who do get side effects like myocarditis completely recover and none of them die. They deny that there is any truth in the hundreds of thousands of reported serious side effects on VAERS including the tens of thousands of deaths.

Both are extreme and not in touch with reality. Speak to a doctor you trust and do what’s best for you.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:39 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
There is denial in both camps. Covid deniers deny that there is a real risk, saying Covid is “just like the flu” and claiming that hospitals majorly inflate or skew the numbers of those dying. Covid-vaccine-injury deniers quote the statistics on the CDC’s website, claiming the vaccine is safe and serious side effects are rare. And that those who do get side effects like myocarditis completely recover and none of them die. They deny that there is any truth in the hundreds of thousands of reported serious side effects on VAERS including the tens of thousands of deaths.

Both are extreme and not in touch with reality. Speak to a doctor you trust and do what’s best for you.

I love your post. There has to be a middle ground because saying that the virus is not deadly and the hospitals kill people by failing to use ivermectin sounds so completely non scientific that nobody is willing to be objective about the vaccine. Both sides could benefit from some objectivity rather than tying it to an ideology.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics