Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Want to bring in more income
1  2  Next

fish

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:43 am
I really want to bring in more income. We have been living month to month since getting married 17 years ago. I really want to start being able to buy some extras or even things that are not extras (and start saving!!). I teach in the afternoons. I'm looking for ideas of what I can do (besides subbing) in the mornings to bring in more money. I would love for it to be something where I am my own boss. This has been weighing on me for a while (the fact that I really want more money) but I just can't think of anything to do. Any thoughts, help, and leads would be appreciated. Tia

all is good

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:45 am
Tutor? Either in schools in the morning or in the evenings or Sundays if that could work for you.

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:47 am
daycare morning floater?

fish

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 10:11 am
I don't love babysitting.....

meiravit

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 1:17 pm
Does the school you teach in need someone in the office in the morning? Even as a sub or a big project like a dinner?

It's a win-win because there's no extra transportation time/cost and they know you so are more likely to want someone they know.

sari00

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 1:26 pm
Learn a new skill, there are lots of diff certificate programs if you're interested I see them advertised in the newspapers all the time...

Or you can just search Remote work online macherusa.com has a few.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 1:26 pm
I used to teach for years but quit because it just doesn't pay enough. I know right now you're looking for a part time source of income. But if you are serious about making more long term, you may want to consider a career switch so you can make more for your whole life

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 1:53 pm
Amazon Seller?

I do Amazon, I work from home usually only at nights for a few hours but in the beginning until I knew everything I worked mornings as well.
I'm my own boss, own company really. Work whenever I want. Don't really need to work as Amazon does everything for you, just sourcing at the beginning.

First few months I've made $5,000 monthly and now b'h b'h b'h much more than that.

Doesn't take away from me being a wife or mother, better yet it eases everyone's mind knowing that there's always that extra income coming in.

I really really really recommend it.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 2:08 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Amazon Seller?

I do Amazon, I work from home usually only at nights for a few hours but in the beginning until I knew everything I worked mornings as well.
I'm my own boss, own company really. Work whenever I want. Don't really need to work as Amazon does everything for you, just sourcing at the beginning.

First few months I've made $5,000 monthly and now b'h b'h b'h much more than that.

Doesn't take away from me being a wife or mother, better yet it eases everyone's mind knowing that there's always that extra income coming in.

Not op. But did you have prior experience before doing it on your own? Would be very interested in doing this to increase our income. Any advice you can give how I can learn more about it? I started watching on youtube but not sure if thats a good lead. Do you bring items from overseas and rebrand?

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 2:34 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Amazon Seller?

Also not OP but am very intrested in selling on Amazon.
My husband is disabled and doesn't really leave the house so this would be perfect for him to do from the house.

watergirl

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 2:37 pm
Why cant you also teach in the mornings?

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 3:24 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Not op. But did you have prior experience before doing it on your own? Would be very interested in doing this to increase our income. Any advice you can give how I can learn more about it? I started watching on youtube but not sure if thats a good lead. Do you bring items from overseas and rebrand?

So happy to see people are interested! I thought of like gathering everything I know and teaching people how to do it. My husband said no one would be interested...
I can't explain how good it is to know I can bring to the table without having to work or take away from being a wife or mother.

No I did not. Basically one of my husband's friends he does it and I was listening to their conversation and from there just read a lot. I don't like youtube videos because I feel like at the end they always want you to buy memberships from them and most of the time, the advice they give there's always a "but" or a "if" they don't mention which can screw you over if you don't know about it.

No I don't do overseas anymore nor drop shipping. Way to much work, you aren't guaranteed your items are going to sell and to much back and forth to get the product right until you can actually list it.

I do Retail and Wholesale arbitrage, mostly FBA (Sending my items to Amazon rather then me sending it to the customers).

Anything else I can help with let me know!

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 3:30 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Also not OP but am very intrested in selling on Amazon.
My husband is disabled and doesn't really leave the house so this would be perfect for him to do from the house.

Yes it would!

He can work whenever he want's, and nowadays he can do everything just from his computer. There's even amazing prep centers that can do all the work before getting it to amazon and they charge maybe a $1 or $2 extra for each item which you can still make profit from.

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 3:32 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
So happy to see people are interested! I thought of like gathering everything I know and teaching people how to do it. My husband said no one would be interested...
I can't explain how good it is to know I can bring to the table without having to work or take away from being a wife or mother.

No I did not. Basically one of my husband's friends he does it and I was listening to their conversation and from there just read a lot. I don't like youtube videos because I feel like at the end they always want you to buy memberships from them and most of the time, the advice they give there's always a "but" or a "if" they don't mention which can screw you over if you don't know about it.

No I don't do overseas anymore nor drop shipping. Way to much work, you aren't guaranteed your items are going to sell and to much back and forth to get the product right until you can actually list it.

I do Retail and Wholesale arbitrage, mostly FBA (Sending my items to Amazon rather then me sending it to the customers).

How did you get started? and what’s your overhead like? Would love to learn more too!

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:13 pm
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
How did you get started? and what’s your overhead like? Would love to learn more too!

Overhead is different for everyone.

For me it's $30 monthly membership to Amazon
I mostly now (But at first much less) work with wholesalers or distributors who will only work with a monthly order of $3,000-$5000 so there's that. But again in the beginning whatever you can do.

When you send to amazon there's always the shipping fees, that can come up to $300 a month depending on how much boxes you send. (I do pallets now 1-2x a month so it does ease the shipping fees instead of having to send boxes each time by UPS and each box is like $16

I was mostly shipping from our warehouse and prepping everything myself. We are currently in the process of making Aliyah so I've started working with prep centers, basically they do all the work for you and send it to Amazon and they'll charge usually between $1 - $2.50 per item, so my profit for these items of course does go down a lot, and many items that I do would not be profitable if I sent it to them, but it does give you the opportunity since they do everything for you to just find more items instead of finding and shipping the items.

Then there's a few websites I use to make sure my items are profitable (Keepa, Jungle Scout and PAC) that's like another $150 altogether a month.

Just know it's normal to make as low as 10% Net, don't think to aim for 50% which usually with all the Amazon fees is not doable.
Most people are shocked and then they don't do it when they hear that if I make 855k in sales I'm only making like a minimum of 103k in Net. But most do between 12-20% Net from their sales.

Read! Every course always gives free information in the beginning to learn from (Not Youtubers!) Only course I ever paid for was the Proven Amazon Course (It's 30$ but it's all you need) And there Amazon facebook group is free. I just basically went down to the first comment or question and wrote everything down and learnt from there.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:13 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:

Thank you so much,
Can you explain in more detail what retail and wholesale arbitrage is? Do you know if you can do this from outside the US?

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:24 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Overhead is different for everyone.

For me it's $30 monthly membership to Amazon
I mostly now (But at first much less) work with wholesalers or distributors who will only work with a monthly order of $3,000-$5000 so there's that. But again in the beginning whatever you can do.

When you send to amazon there's always the shipping fees, that can come up to $300 a month depending on how much boxes you send. (I do pallets now 1-2x a month so it does ease the shipping fees instead of having to send boxes each time by UPS and each box is like $16

I was mostly shipping from our warehouse and prepping everything myself. We are currently in the process of making Aliyah so I've started working with prep centers, basically they do all the work for you and send it to Amazon and they'll charge usually between $1 - $2.50 per item, so my profit for these items of course does go down a lot, and many items that I do would not be profitable if I sent it to them, but it does give you the opportunity since they do everything for you to just find more items instead of finding and shipping the items.

Then there's a few websites I use to make sure my items are profitable (Keepa, Jungle Scout and PAC) that's like another $150 altogether a month.

Just know it's normal to make as low as 10% Net, don't think to aim for 50% which usually with all the Amazon fees is not doable.
Most people are shocked and then they don't do it when they hear that if I make 855k in sales I'm only making like a minimum of 103k in Net. But most do between 12-20% Net from their sales.

Read! Every course always gives free information in the beginning to learn from (Not Youtubers!) Only course I ever paid for was the Proven Amazon Course (It's 30$ but it's all you need) And there Amazon facebook group is free. I just basically went down to the first comment or question and wrote everything down and learnt from there.

Thanks for taking the time to share this! So impressed that you were able to teach this to yourself and build it up. And mazal tov on making aliya!

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:27 pm
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
Thank you so much,
Can you explain in more detail what retail and wholesale arbitrage is? Do you know if you can do this from outside the US?

Sure! Retail arbitrage is basically I buy from the actual company. For example, Burt's Bees I emailed them and told them that I have a store and would like to buy from them wholesale. So therefore I buy wholesale price items directly from burts bees and then I send it off to Amazon. Some people (but I find it to much work) Is they go to Walmart, Target, Kohls, TJ Max and buy items from their either on sale or clearance and then ship that off to Amazon. So that would be retail arbitrage.

Wholesale arbitrage are distribution companies that have wholesale pricing and when you buy from them they are getting their items from the actual retailer. Why use them? Because sometimes major companies (for example Windex) would never sell to you but they do sell to wholesale distributors that technically your getting a wholesale price, but obviously they profit from it as well. I use them mostly for large companies that won't work personally with me. (Windex, Starbucks, Hershey's, Splenda are a few examples)

Yes! I think the only thing you would need is a US address but I think maybe even that you don't need. I know from groups that people say they are in Canada or India and they do it so.
Or for example my husband is British and his parents live in London so I use their address and his name and I sell in the UK as well. (For wholesalers that say they only would sell if I'm a British citizen)
We're in the process of making Aliyah and I will 100% be able to do it from there without losing on anything.

Anything else I'd be happy to help

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:32 pm
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to share this! So impressed that you were able to teach this to yourself and build it up. And mazal tov on making aliya!

Of course! If you ever need anything else you can always email me at [email removed. do not contact]

I'd be happy to help!

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:39 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Sure! Retail arbitrage is basically I buy from the actual company. For example, Burt's Bees I emailed them and told them that I have a store and would like to buy from them wholesale. So therefore I buy wholesale price items directly from burts bees and then I send it off to Amazon. Some people (but I find it to much work) Is they go to Walmart, Target, Kohls, TJ Max and buy items from their either on sale or clearance and then ship that off to Amazon. So that would be retail arbitrage.

Wholesale arbitrage are distribution companies that have wholesale pricing and when you buy from them they are getting their items from the actual retailer. Why use them? Because sometimes major companies (for example Windex) would never sell to you but they do sell to wholesale distributors that technically your getting a wholesale price, but obviously they profit from it as well. I use them mostly for large companies that won't work personally with me. (Windex, Starbucks, Hershey's, Splenda are a few examples)

Yes! I think the only thing you would need is a US address but I think maybe even that you don't need. I know from groups that people say they are in Canada or India and they do it so.
Or for example my husband is British and his parents live in London so I use their address and his name and I sell in the UK as well. (For wholesalers that say they only would sell if I'm a British citizen)
We're in the process of making Aliyah and I will 100% be able to do it from there without losing on anything.

Anything else I'd be happy to help

I understand, I actually have my own business (not in the US) so I have a very clear picture of what you mean. I did look into a company thats an agent that would take our products and list them on Amazon and that might be more profitable but I'm undecided.

Some questions
1. I'm assuming there are other people selling the same products as you are - how do you compete?

2. Does Amazon buy anything you want to sell them?

3. What's to stop Amazon from buying directly from the wholesalers or distributors?

Thank you!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics