Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Seminary Notes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 5:18 am
I have my three years' worth of seminary notes in my apartment in Israel.
As my family grows b"H, I'm finding that I'm slowly running out of space.
I haven't even looked at these notes for years, so I realize it's probably time for them to go; But they have sentimental value to me.

My parents live in the US, so I can't just store it by them or easily transport it to them.

I don't easily throw things away, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any useful comments that could help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 5:35 am
If you had the time, you could scan everything on to the computer.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:18 am
Do you have a machsan?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:20 am
Do the notes still inspire you and “speak” to you? If so, keep them. When your kids are older you may have time to use them again.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:22 am
scan or toss

realities of life

psa even if one can store at parents' don't it just delays the inevitable and not right for the parents even when they say they don't mind

better habit to address it

if worth keeping then yes you can make space for it then it is a real priority

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:28 am
If you went to Gateshead for sure hold onto the halacha notes. I know people who refer to them 40 years later.
Wherever you went are there any teachers who speak to you? Can you just keep some?

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:48 am
Do yourself a favor; get rid of them. You will never look at them again; the longer you hang on to them the harder it will be to get rid of them, so do it now. Surely you have pix of yourself and pals in sem; that ought to be enough to remind you of that blissful stage in your life. If you must, take a picture of your stack of notebooks and one page of notes and put the originals in recycling. Your future self will thank you. Your PRESENT self will thank you. Besides being a waste of space, paper clutter is a terrible fire hazard.

Don't scan them; they'll only be electronic clutter, which is every bit as real as paper clutter, and will only have to be purged in turn (that's twice for something you never looked at) when your electronic records grow unmanageable. And don't-don't-don't put them in a machsan even if you have one. That doesn't eliminate clutter--it just shifts it to another location. Eventually the machsan, like the electronic records, will have to be purged as well.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:55 am
amother [ NeonPink ] wrote:
If you went to Gateshead for sure hold onto the halacha notes. I know people who refer to them 40 years later.
Wherever you went are there any teachers who speak to you? Can you just keep some?

I was in Gateshead around 20 years ago. I am currently learning hilchos Shabbos from rabbi Falk’s seforim with my DH. (But they’re actual bound books that he put out. Not my notes)

I would only save notes if there is a chance you will teach those topics. Although I’m not really one to talk because my notes were mostly photocopies of other peoples

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:57 am
amother [ Honeysuckle ] wrote:
Do the notes still inspire you and “speak” to you? If so, keep them. When your kids are older you may have time to use them again.

OP said she hasn't even looked at them in years. They're not exactly inspiring her.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:28 am
amother [ Honey ] wrote:

psa even if one can store at parents' don't it just delays the inevitable and not right for the parents even when they say they don't mind

Mwah. You're a doll. Parents everywhere thank you.

So many of my friends are still storing their children's junk. (If no one looks at it, it's junk by definition no matter its sentimental or intrinsic value.) The children NEVER come back to get it. Some of my friend's children made aliyah or bought houses 15 years ago and still haven't retrieved their stuff. Every time they visit there's a reason why they can't look at it right now.

Know what's gonna happen? At some point the parents will sell their houses and have to hire 1-800-OUTTAMYWAY to empty them out, or the parents will leave this vale of tears and the children will have to hire OUTTAMYWAY themselves. Either way, the stuff will have to be dealt with. May as well do it now and not have to pay someone to haul it away in the future. Junk haulers charge by volume, so when your five cubic feet of old notebooks mean bringing in an additional waste bin, it'll cost you, whether the stuff is in your parents' house or your own.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:46 am
My just married daughter promised me that every time she comes for Yom Tov she'll get "take care" of some of her files. She doesn't know that I'm not waiting 20 years for her to finish:-)

If I collect all the files my kids have in my house I'll have some space to store things I really need. When I went to school I was able to fit a whole years worth of notes in a couple of 5 subject notebooks. Do kids learn more nowadays or did we just know how to write really concise notes?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 1:58 pm
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
My just married daughter promised me that every time she comes for Yom Tov she'll get "take care" of some of her files. She doesn't know that I'm not waiting 20 years for her to finish:-)

If I collect all the files my kids have in my house I'll have some space to store things I really need. When I went to school I was able to fit a whole years worth of notes in a couple of 5 subject notebooks. Do kids learn more nowadays or did we just know how to write really concise notes?

You probably wrote really concise notes. Plus, you may have had a smaller, neater handwriting. (I understand schools no longer teach penmanship.) My son's notes from yeshiva are just this side of micrography. There were still a lot of them. I neatly packed all his folders and notebooks into a couple of boxes and delivered them to him one week when we went there for Shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 2:26 pm
OP here.

Thank you all for your responses.

I will try to go through the notes and throw out what really doesn't speak to me anymore.
I guess that'll be a good start.

I don't see myself having the patience or time to scan everything, but that was a good suggestion.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 2:51 pm
zaq wrote:
Do yourself a favor; get rid of them. You will never look at them again; the longer you hang on to them the harder it will be to get rid of them, so do it now. Surely you have pix of yourself and pals in sem; that ought to be enough to remind you of that blissful stage in your life. If you must, take a picture of your stack of notebooks and one page of notes and put the originals in recycling. Your future self will thank you. Your PRESENT self will thank you. Besides being a waste of space, paper clutter is a terrible fire hazard.

Don't scan them; they'll only be electronic clutter, which is every bit as real as paper clutter, and will only have to be purged in turn (that's twice for something you never looked at) when your electronic records grow unmanageable. And don't-don't-don't put them in a machsan even if you have one. That doesn't eliminate clutter--it just shifts it to another location. Eventually the machsan, like the electronic records, will have to be purged as well.

What are you talking about
Scan it and put in cloud
Your parents spent 25k so you can just chuck it all

My husband has thousands and thousands of seforim on a flash drive thats the size of his finger nail

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 6:04 pm
Does your dh LOOK at those thousands and thousands of seforim on his flash drive? If yes, good for him; if not, it's electronic clutter. Just because something CAN be saved doesn't mean it SHOULD be. If OP hasn't looked at her notes in years, no matter how much the education cost, they're just clutter. If OP said she reviews her notes once a year or looks things up when her children ask her questions, that would be a different story.

One very big mistake people make is hanging on to things "because they cost good money." That money is never coming back, and hanging on to those notes won't make it do so. Expensive clutter is still clutter, and an attic full of slowly oxidizing notes nobody looks at is just as much of a fire hazard as an attic full of slowly oxidizing old toilet paper, lehavdil, that nobody looks at. Recycle them or give them a decent burial in your backyard and let them do some good instead.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:51 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
What are you talking about
Scan it and put in cloud
Your parents spent 25k so you can just chuck it all

My husband has thousands and thousands of seforim on a flash drive thats the size of his finger nail

Maybe she's internalized it.
And do you look at your notes? As much your husband refers to the sefarim on his flash drive?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics