Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Horrible handwriting

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 2:25 am
My third graders handwriting is atrocious. It also takes her a long time to write and she often doesn’t finish her work. I’ve bought books and practice with her but it’s not doing much. What else can be done?

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 2:27 am
Can you look into OT issues?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:59 am
OT (occupational therapy)

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:01 am
OT. Note that OT will help resolve core issues that will help your child with spacial awareness, and to write more easily and comfortably. It will not necessarily develop a gorgeous handwriting.

BTDT.

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:34 am
Chayalle wrote:
OT. Note that OT will help resolve core issues that will help your child with spacial awareness, and to write more easily and comfortably. It will not necessarily develop a gorgeous handwriting.

BTDT.

Do you have a specific OT that you recommend? I have a child with these issues as well, in lakewood.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:55 am
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
Do you have a specific OT that you recommend? I have a child with these issues as well, in lakewood.

Was quite a few years ago so I have no idea where she's up to now...but we were very happy with Risha Portowicz. She worked under Ruchie Cohen. Really knew her stuff, and also worked really great with my child.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:56 am
If handwriting is the main issue, almost any OT should be able to help. It's not the type of thing you need the best and most experienced OT for.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 10:52 am
OT would definitely help. Personally, I think your shouldn't be very worried about it. I had the most disgusting handwriting till I was about 12-13 years. Dunno what happened then but my handwriting just changed. I have a beautiful neat and clear handwriting.

MomBH

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:09 am
You can always get an eval from an OT and then decide. If it is only a asthetic issue, it still might be a concern (if teachers and friends can't read what she writes, etc.) but the key is to find out if there's an underlying cause. The fact that it takes her a long time to write (plus poor formation) is likely an indication of a core or muscle tone issue which an OT can help with. Hatzlacha!

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:13 am
Get her evaluated for OT.

Have you tried the "Handwriting without Tears" program? As an OT, I have had the most success with that program, and you can easily do 1-2 pages a night with her at home. You can order the workbooks on Amazon.

There is also a belief that when children struggle with printing, learning cursive instead will help. I personally have had a lot of success with this with many children. Again, I would recommend the "Handwriting Without Tears" workbook for that.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:57 am
Thank you everyone!

Will look into the suggestions.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:47 pm
My daughter has horrible handwriting but she is good with other OT things and draws beautifully. The school complains but I personally don't think handwriting is important and so I am choosing to ignore it.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 1:01 pm
Another point my MIL took my DH to the eye DR. because he had bad handwriting and it turned out that he had a problem seeing.

I would never think of such a thing if it did not work for my DH, I also found that this worked with one of my kids two so may be you should look into this.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 3:15 pm
amother [ Ghostwhite ] wrote:
Another point my MIL took my DH to the eye DR. because he had bad handwriting and it turned out that he had a problem seeing.

I would never think of such a thing if it did not work for my DH, I also found that this worked with one of my kids two so may be you should look into this.
In addition to OT for hand and finger strength and core strength, and frank vision issues, I would also have them evaluated by a developmental optometrist to see if there are any visual perception, hand eye coordination, tracking, convergence issues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children