Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Are you a care manager?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:51 am
Hi,
I've seen many ads from different organizations/agencies that they are seeking care managers. Are you a care manager? Can you tell me about your job? Thanks in advance!

elmommy

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:51 am
Following and gonna add to the question- any degrees necessary?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 10:09 am
bump

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 2:40 pm
bump

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 3:30 pm
Can you give an example of an organization seeking someone for this position? Do you mean Hamaspik and others like them?

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 3:35 pm
BA is required

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:02 pm
My mother did it for years, she loved it..but with new rules and programs..it got more about paperwork and less about the clients which she truly loved!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:36 pm
BA in what? What's the pay like? What do you do?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:37 pm
Hamaspik (Comfort Health), Rayim, and maybe some more...

amother
Red

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:38 pm
Hi, I'm a care manager. A BA is required with some years of relevant experience. The pay is pretty good, but that also depends on what exactly you have to offer. I work for Tri County Care, which is a branch-off of Hamaspik. Any specific questions?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:45 pm
BA in what? What type of experience? What do you do all day and what's considered good pay?

*I'm the one whose been asking in half the career threads cuz I'm not happy with my job but I have a degree and career and all that so really hard to totally switch fields or go to something paying so much less.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:50 pm
Do you really end up helping people in a meaningful way?
Are there opportunities for growth?
I heard the starting salary is $35 an hour, is that correct?
Are the hours flexible?
Is there flexibility to work from home?
Do you mind sharing your location?

amother
Red

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:54 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
BA in what? What type of experience? What do you do all day and what's considered good pay?

*I'm the one whose been asking in half the career threads cuz I'm not happy with my job but I have a degree and career and all that so really hard to totally switch fields or go to something paying so much less.

I don't think it matters what the BA is in, as long as the experience is relevant (in the education/ special education field). My job entails setting up OPWDD services for people with developmental disabilities so that they can have access to respite, com-hab, self direction and other services. I also provide emotional support for my clients' parents, because they have the hardest jobs in the world. I love my clients and I'm passionate about the human aspect of the job, but it also involves a lot of paperwork and some unpleasant things, such as informing a heartbroken mother that a program is refusing to accept her low-functioning child. The pay depends on your qualifications. If you have a master's degree you can earn up to $40 per hour. There are also benefits and generous bonuses at my company.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you really end up helping people in a meaningful way?
Are there opportunities for growth?
I heard the starting salary is $35 an hour, is that correct?
Are the hours flexible?
Is there flexibility to work from home?
Do you mind sharing your location?

The work can be so rewarding. I love knowing that I'm really making a difference in the lives of frum families who are struggling. (Not all clients are frum, but most frum care managers receive frum clients.) There isn't much opportunity for growth, aside from becoming a supervisor, which requires a lot more commitment. That starting salary is not accurate, most people I know started at around $25 per hour, I received more starting out. The hours probably depend on which agency employs you, my hours are very flexible, as long as I get my work done and meet my deadlines. I work from home Smile
I am located in Brooklyn.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 5:01 pm
Thanks! What is the training like? I happen to have a MA and make a lot more than that but still considering the switch. Any chance of being salaried?

amother
Red

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 5:19 pm
Thanks! What is the training like? I happen to have a MA and make a lot more than that but still considering the switch. Any chance of being salaried?

The training is tough, I won't sugarcoat it. Care management is like a universe of its own, there are thousands of phrases, abbreviations and concepts that most people have never heard of. However, if you have a good supervisor to hold your hand through it, you can be mostly trained in six months and fully trained in a year. New things always come up, even after CMs are fully trained, because each case is so unique. The beginning is very overwhelming, but for me, personally, I'm glad I stuck it out. My company does not salary workers, but perhaps there are other ones that do.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 5:21 pm
Are you paid during the training period or is it more like certification/internship type?

amother
Red

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 5:30 pm
Are you paid during the training period or is it more like certification/internship type?

You are absolutely paid during the training! At my company, there is a 90 day trial period. You are paid fully during that time, the only thing that's different is that you don't receive benefits or accrue PTO until your 90 day review. If you are seriously interested in the job, I can PM you my number. I receive a $500 bonus for every employee I refer who makes it past the 90 day trial, so if you are interested in applying, please let me know Smile .

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:12 pm
Care managers are on such high demand due to health homes being opened. Most agencies require a ba and salary around $35 an hour but some pay according to the amount of cases you have. Some agencies accept young girls as care managers with no degrees and less pay and have a supervisor sign off on all paperwork.
There are also care managers that work for the 3 opwdd companies, tri county care, care design or advanced care alliance.
Tri county care is a division of Hamaspik and I believe the only Jewish one.
Care managers can become supervisors after a year of experience or with a masters degree.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 12:50 pm
Anyone work for Rayim? I’m curious how the different agencies compare... Also, is care management for OPWDD different than for people without OPWDD (with the 2 qualifying factors such abs mental/health issues)? Thanks!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics