Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What do I need to know - in home babysitter

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:09 pm
I am hiring an in home babysitter.
Please tell me what I need to know I'm advance and what you wish someone had told you beforehand.

Anything specific I should clarify or set straight in advance?

I want to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible IYH.

I also want her to do light housework, what is considered light housework and is that reasonable?

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:05 pm
My babysitter is also my cleaning lady, she cleans while the baby sleeps. She knows taking care of the baby is the priority and taking care of the house is secondary. It’s enough hours a day that by the end of the week the house gets clean and the laundry is done.
Clarify:
How much advance you need if she can’t show up, what your discipline style is
If you let her leave the house (walks, park, etc )
If there are cameras
Kitchen rules ( important for kashrus!)
Exactly what to do in an emergency, who to call
Policy regarding music, movies, clips on her phone

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:15 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
My babysitter is also my cleaning lady, she cleans while the baby sleeps. She knows taking care of the baby is the priority and taking care of the house is secondary. It’s enough hours a day that by the end of the week the house gets clean and the laundry is done.
Clarify:
How much advance you need if she can’t show up, what your discipline style is
If you let her leave the house (walks, park, etc )
If there are cameras
Kitchen rules ( important for kashrus!)
Exactly what to do in an emergency, who to call
Policy regarding music, movies, clips on her phone

So I'm going off topic now, but How did you find a cleaning lady who is also able to do childcare? Did you get references for her? How much do you pay her?

I tried but was unsuccessful so I may have to go the route of a babysitter who will do light housework as opposed to an babysitter who is also a cleaning lady.

Thanks

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:17 pm
I found my babysitter who also cleans by asking every single person I could think of to ask their babysitters/cleaning lady and eventually I got a hit. Depends where you live but I didnt ask mine to clean but she does more than I ask her to do because I think that's what she assumes is expected of her. I pay $15 and hr and a bit for taxis.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:19 pm
For us light housekeeping meant folding laundry and straightening/cleaning up after the kids. So washing bottles and any dishes used while they were feeding the kids, putting toys away at the end of the day, wiping off the high chair/table after they eat.
I always had more than one kid home for at least half of the day so I didn't feel that full cleaning was realistic and it's much harder to find.
I would clarify days off before she starts so she knows what you pay for and what you don't. I put it in writing so we both have a copy and there's no confusion.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I'm going off topic now, but How did you find a cleaning lady who is also able to do childcare? Did you get references for her? How much do you pay her?

I tried but was unsuccessful so I may have to go the route of a babysitter who will do light housework as opposed to an babysitter who is also a cleaning lady.

Thanks

I was looking for a babysitter who can also clean, not the other way around. I did no research on her cleaning skills, just on how good she is with kids, warm, good midos.
I had references from people who used her as a cleaning lady then ended up having her take care of the kids (it’s very common here for people to do that after they get comfortable with the cleaning lady, though on paper they’re not official babysitters)
I tried hiring frum but was just too expensive and they didn’t want to do even light housekeeping
I pay $16. An hour

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Thanks

You need to get a babysitter who will do light cleaning if your priority is the care of your baby.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:59 pm
amother [ Mimosa ] wrote:
You need to get a babysitter who will do light cleaning if your priority is the care of your baby.

Our babysitter used to be a cleaning lady who transitioned to babysitting and decided she enjoyed it more. Until babys on a real nap schedule though, don't expect real cleaning
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics