Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Myobrace vs reg braces

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 10:59 am
Can anyone please share if you've had a child get the myobrace or know anyone else who has? Is it harder to use or maintain than regular braces? More or less effective?

Considering for my child and would love to hear the pros and cons.

Anon because people in real life know I'm looking into it.

Thanks!

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 3:22 pm
Following. We’re looking into the myobrace, Alf and biobloc. They work very differently from traditional braces. Have you seen an airway informed orthodontist? All these appliances are supposed to be done in conjunction with myofunctional therapy, the point being to widen the jaw and open the airway so that teeth naturally have room to grow in straight. According to the airway informed ortho we saw, myobrace and Alf isn’t as effective as promised, and she’s had to fit many a patient with traditional expanders and braces after a stint with myobrace that didn’t deliver as promised. I’m sure other dentists feel differently. Traditional orthodontics alone for sure are not a good fix, In fact, they often make small mouths smaller and narrow airways even narrower resulting in apnea later in life. She does use the myobrace for mild cases.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:41 pm
Thank you for your detailed response.

You are actually way more well informed than me.
I just know my kid needs braces and I don't have a good gut feeling about traditional braces... I've noticed they can really distort the jaw and face in the name of straight teeth.
I stumbled upon the myobrace website and thought its worth looking into.

Never heard of airway- informed orthodontists. Any ideas how I would go about finding a good one? (NY/NJ area)

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:56 pm
There's so much information on line that can explain it better than me. check you tube for videos.
Myobrace is a much more wholistic approach and considers the general health not just the jaw and aesthetic look.
Most orthodontists will give a free consult to discuss it.
I think
one thing to bear in mind.
there are exercises and your child has to be willing to do them and wear the myobrace... My9 yr old son gave me a very hard time with it. its not typical and we have other stuff going on that s too blame . Its just that he would prefer to have braces and not another discipline to remember. Or so he says
if that's not an issue to me the myobrace is much better option.

I would use my username but too many people know this about me.
if you use your username Im happy to pm you the name of a practice in NNJ which loads of frum people come to from all over.
alternatively I assume a google would help.

Good luck

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for your detailed response.

You are actually way more well informed than me.
I just know my kid needs braces and I don't have a good gut feeling about traditional braces... I've noticed they can really distort the jaw and face in the name of straight teeth.
I stumbled upon the myobrace website and thought its worth looking into.

Never heard of airway- informed orthodontists. Any ideas how I would go about finding a good one? (NY/NJ area)
Good for you for following your gut! In NJ I know of Dr. Morrison in Red Bank, Dr. Naomi Hillel in Edison, Dr. Barry Raphael in Clifton. Not sure about NY.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:04 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
There's so much information on line that can explain it better than me. check you tube for videos.
Myobrace is a much more wholistic approach and considers the general health not just the jaw and aesthetic look.
Most orthodontists will give a free consult to discuss it.
I think
one thing to bear in mind.
there are exercises and your child has to be willing to do them and wear the myobrace... My9 yr old son gave me a very hard time with it. its not typical and we have other stuff going on that s too blame . Its just that he would prefer to have braces and not another discipline to remember. Or so he says
if that's not an issue to me the myobrace is much better option.

I would use my username but too many people know this about me.
if you use your username Im happy to pm you the name of a practice in NNJ which loads of frum people come to from all over.
alternatively I assume a google would help.

Good luck
Pretty sure I know which practice you’re using. Are you happy with them? Are you seeing improvement with the myobrace? The airway informed ortho we saw said she sees patients of this dr post myobrace with it not having delivered as promised. She also said my dd is not a candidate for myobrace, her issues are too severe. She referred us for myofunctional therapy, tongue tie release, and thinks she will need a slow acting palate expanded and then maybe some braces for a short time. I’m wondering if it’s worth the $$$ to see the other dr in Clifton. He will almost for sure give us the brace if we want it, but Im not looking to waste my money either...

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:18 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Pretty sure I know which practice you’re using. Are you happy with them? Are you seeing improvement with the myobrace? The airway informed ortho we saw said she sees patients of this dr post myobrace with it not having delivered as promised. She also said my dd is not a candidate for myobrace, her issues are too severe. She referred us for myofunctional therapy, tongue tie release, and thinks she will need a slow acting palate expanded and then maybe some braces for a short time. I’m wondering if it’s worth the $$$ to see the other dr in Clifton. He will almost for sure give us the brace if we want it, but Im not looking to waste my money either...

To clarify : it didn't work for us bc my son wouldn't wear the brace or do the exercises.

From what I am hearing about your d, I would definitely go to myofunctional therapy and tongue tie release first.
Dr. Rafael says he may recommend that as adjunct to what he does. it sounds like you already know you need to do that first.
A cranio sacral therapist trained in myofunctional can also help.

good luck

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:27 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
To clarify : it didn't work for us bc my son wouldn't wear the brace or do the exercises.

From what I am hearing about your d, I would definitely go to myofunctional therapy and tongue tie release first.
Dr. Rafael says he may recommend that as adjunct to what he does. it sounds like you already know you need to do that first.
A cranio sacral therapist trained in myofunctional can also help.

good luck
Yes, we are doing tongue tie release and myofunctional therapy first, but both the therapist and ortho felt she would still need traditional expander + braces after. The ortho said the myobrace is even less effective than the therapy, and the therapist concurred. It’s just that I would really love to avoid braces for a variety of reasons and I wonder if going to a dentist who is more committed to the holistic model will be helpful or just a waste of money and we will still end up needing traditional appliances after.

I actually tried looking for a cst that is also familiar with myofunctional and airway but couldn’t find one. Is there anyone you can recommend in NJ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics