Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Real or fake diamond jewelry?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:56 pm
There's some really nice fake diamond jewelry out there. I can't decide if it's worth getting real, for the sake of having something real and special. Or is it silly and I should just buy fake. And if it's fake do I tell people or pretend it's real. I'm talking jewelry that would normally cost a few thousand if real- tennis bracelet, diamond earrings, eternity band. Wondering if well off people don't feel the pressure to buy real. Or well-off people have real because they can afford it. Had a big milestone recently and not sure if we should spend the money on real!

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:02 pm
Buy good fakes and wear them happily. Real jewelry costs lots of money and generates anxiety. Who needs that?

It's no one else's business whether you are wearing genuine diamonds. I can afford expensive jewelry but prefer to spend money on other things. I have no idea what other people do. I'd never say, "nice bracelet is it real?" I didn't hallucinate it, so it's real. How someone else spends money isn't for me to know or care about.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:31 pm
I’m a fan of fake. Less anxiety. And jewelry goes through styles, so real pieces from 20 years ago I no longer wear which is just so stupid.

rdmom

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:45 pm
I have a nice pair of real earrings that I got from my mother in law as a kallah. Well, guess what? I never wear it. Now I alternate between the 2-3 fakes that I have and love. Cuz I’m bored of the old but real one. And I can afford to buy real.
Also. My husband wanted to get me a wedding band. A saw a really gorgeous one that happened to be fake. Price tag? 150. And I got it. And wear it so proudly. Most people don’t know it’s fake. Some people I really don’t like deceiving. So I tell them proudly it’s a fake. But others… let them think what they want.
I say go with fake and wear it with pride. No one must know. I even got myself a gorgeous fake diamond ring that I wear more often than my real one. Cuz I like the setting on the fake one.
Real jewelry just doesn’t make me happier.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:55 pm
I happen to love real jewelry and can tell the difference but I also wear fake earrings all the time so whatever makes you happy, just know it's not an investment. Only buy if you love not for any financial considerations

Fox

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:18 pm
Nobody is going to whip out a microscope or even a jeweler's loupe at a social event.

They jewelry that screams "fake" either has cheap settings or is too large to be believable.

There are plenty of manufactured diamonds and even cubic zirconia stones with beautiful 14K settings. Only wear a fake that could legitimately be real. If you walk around with something the size of the Hope Diamond on your hand, people will probably assume it's fake.

Funny story: my real engagement ring was stolen decades ago in a burglary. On a whim, I spent about $100 on a fake from eBay. The fake stone is bigger than my real one, but not so big that it looks unrealistic. I once had a situation where a woman who'd had a lot of financial tzures was complimenting my ring. I leaned over conspiratorily and told her it was a fake from eBay. Her response? "Oh, I don't believe that for a minute! I've seen your handbag!"

So my lesson is: fake rings and real handbags!

imaima

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There's some really nice fake diamond jewelry out there. I can't decide if it's worth getting real, for the sake of having something real and special. Or is it silly and I should just buy fake. And if it's fake do I tell people or pretend it's real. I'm talking jewelry that would normally cost a few thousand if real- tennis bracelet, diamond earrings, eternity band. Wondering if well off people don't feel the pressure to buy real. Or well-off people have real because they can afford it. Had a big milestone recently and not sure if we should spend the money on real!

I also tend to overthink this but the answer is usually simple.
1. Are you well-off? Why do you care what well-off people do?

2. Do you like the design? Does the piece look nice and dignified or gaudy?
Some expensive real pieces look ugle to me.

3. When the piece is simple, it better be real, like diamond studs. If it has a complex design with many little stones, it might look nice being cz.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:24 pm
I agree styles change, that's why if I was buying I'd be buying a classic piece like an eternity band. but that's what I'd buy even if fake so then I wonder why not get real that will be a long term piece. I also know that my friends might ask where I got it, and unless I say one of the local jewish jewelry stores it will be obviously a fake. so I'm not sure I can hide it and I'll feel so deceitful if I pretend it's real.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:26 pm
There's really no shame in fake, I know a millionaire whose name you've seen on buildings and she proudly tells us that her huge diamond earrings are fake and the real ones are in the bank

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:26 pm
imaima wrote:
I also tend to overthink this but the answer is usually simple.
1. Are you well-off? Why do you care what well-off people do?

2. Do you like the design? Does the piece look nice and dignified or gaudy?
Some expensive real pieces look ugle to me.

3. When the piece is simple, it better be real, like diamond studs. If it has a complex design with many little stones, it might look nice being cz.

1. Nope. I don't care what welloff people do in general, I guess I was just wondering if mostly well off people are buying real and everyone else's is fake.

2. I would get a classic dignified piece no matter real or fake, I don't like gaudy.

3. it would be a simple piece either way

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:27 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
There's really no shame in fake, I know a millionaire whose name you've seen on buildings and she proudly tells us that her huge diamond earrings are fake and the real ones are in the bank

see if I had real ones in the bank I'd also advertise that my jewelry is fake Smile

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I agree styles change, that's why if I was buying I'd be buying a classic piece like an eternity band. but that's what I'd buy even if fake so then I wonder why not get real that will be a long term piece. I also know that my friends might ask where I got it, and unless I say one of the local jewish jewelry stores it will be obviously a fake. so I'm not sure I can hide it and I'll feel so deceitful if I pretend it's real.

You'd let yourself be pushed into spending thousands of dollars because your friends are yentas? If you want (and can afford) real jewelry, buy it. But there's no reason to spend lots of money if you're happy with something less expensive.

imaima

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:52 pm
Now I have a question: is all gold jewelry with cz
a priori considered fake? Why? I have many pieces made of 14-19k gold but with cz or semi-precious stones. I have been getting them as gifts from my family from my teenage years on.

They never pretended to be diamonds. They are just gold pieces with some kind of a stone in it. Why are they called "fake"?

imaima

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can now buy so many unique real pieces on etsy.
And then there is a whole range of luxury designer jewelry which is another ballgame...
It doesn't all have to come from a local shop.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:56 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
You'd let yourself be pushed into spending thousands of dollars because your friends are yentas? If you want (and can afford) real jewelry, buy it. But there's no reason to spend lots of money if you're happy with something less expensive.

the yenta friends is only part of it and probably the least of it, while exploring my feelings on this, I'm trying to decide if I will be happy with the less expensive. or will I feel gyped. Part of me wants my husband to spend on the real jewelry bec to me it means more if he spent a lot on it. and I know that sounds shallow, but think about it, an expensive gift has more meaning and value. and if I was buying for my spouse I would buy the real thing bec that's more special, so why would I gyp myself?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:58 pm
imaima wrote:
Now I have a question: is all gold jewelry with cz
a priori considered fake? Why? I have many pieces made of 14-19k gold but with cz or semi-precious stones. I have been getting them as gifts from my family from my teenage years on.

They never pretended to be diamonds. They are just gold pieces with some kind of a stone in it. Why are they called "fake"?

the jewelry I have in mind is the kind that is meant to be diamonds, like an eternity band, so I would consider a gold with CZ fake in this case. if it was a more stylish/less classic piece I wouldn't think of it as "fake"

imaima

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:00 am
Fox wrote:
Nobody is going to whip out a microscope or even a jeweler's loupe at a social event.

They jewelry that screams "fake" either has cheap settings or is too large to be believable.

There are plenty of manufactured diamonds and even cubic zirconia stones with beautiful 14K settings. Only wear a fake that could legitimately be real. If you walk around with something the size of the Hope Diamond on your hand, people will probably assume it's fake.

Funny story: my real engagement ring was stolen decades ago in a burglary. On a whim, I spent about $100 on a fake from eBay. The fake stone is bigger than my real one, but not so big that it looks unrealistic. I once had a situation where a woman who'd had a lot of financial tzures was complimenting my ring. I leaned over conspiratorily and told her it was a fake from eBay. Her response? "Oh, I don't believe that for a minute! I've seen your handbag!"

So my lesson is: fake rings and real handbags!

Now you are juat enabling us to get designer bags!!! LOL

imaima

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
the jewelry I have in mind is the kind that is meant to be diamonds, like an eternity band, so I would consider a gold with CZ fake in this case. if it was a more stylish/less classic piece I wouldn't think of it as "fake"

👍 I see your point.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
the yenta friends is only part of it and probably the least of it, while exploring my feelings on this, I'm trying to decide if I will be happy with the less expensive. or will I feel gyped. Part of me wants my husband to spend on the real jewelry bec to me it means more if he spent a lot on it. and I know that sounds shallow, but think about it, an expensive gift has more meaning and value. and if I was buying for my spouse I would buy the real thing bec that's more special, so why would I gyp myself?

Ok. So think it through. For me, the issue isn't what something costs, but how it's used. And on the bright side, if you don't spend a lot on the jewelry, maybe you can splurge on something else another time.

Also, please don't use the term "gyp". It's a slur against gypsies.

imaima

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Gifts are my love language too. Totally get you.
If it is a milestone gift, I would want it to be real.
If stam, then it can be a fun less precious piece.
I have now seen a stunning brandname eternity band with saphires which is much cheaper than the same brand name diamond eternity band and I may "put it on my wishlist". Wink
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics