Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Real or fake diamond jewelry?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:15 am
imaima wrote:
Gifts are my love language too. Totally get you.
If it is a milestone gift, I would want it to be real.
If stam, then it can be a fun less precious piece.
I have now seen a stunning brandname eternity band with saphires which is much cheaper than the same brand name diamond eternity band and I may "put it on my wishlist". Wink

Thank you for getting it! yes I like gifts. and no I don't get them often enough. and yes it's a milestone. thank you.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:00 am
Even if I were a billionaire, I would buy fakes if they were convincing, and set nicely.

There is so much slave labor involved in the mining industry, it breaks my heart. If I had to have a diamond, I'd get an antique piece, or at least second hand.

What I really love is artisan, handmade jewelry with unique styles and lots of precision technique. I'm an out of the box kind of girl, and I'd rather have a one of a kind handmade statement necklace, than have a diamond necklace. I value creativity and skill much more than expensive rocks.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:10 am
Voice of dissent lol
I like real jewelery. Especially classic timeless pieces like what you're considering. A tennis bracelet, an eternity band...these aren't going out if style. From what you're saying, it seems like fake won't "hit the spot" and everytime you get a compliment you'll feel like you need to blurt "it's not real!"

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:13 am
what mint said
its all good unless you feel compelled to lie about it....though no one should be asking you!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:15 am
Where do you find fake diamonds with beautiful, genuine gold settings? I’d love a fake Diamond pendant, but not a $5 fake from AliExpress!

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:18 am
I don’t know why people keep mentioning anxiety. I have a few nice real pieces and I took out insurance from them. If I ever loose them, they are appraised for more than what I paid, so I’m not worried.

As far as the op’s question: it does feel very nice knowing it’s real, and on Shabbos and simchos when I’m wearing all my jewelry I really do feel like a princess. My husband is very old school and does not want me to buy fake. I’m ok with this “sacrifice” for shalom bayis Wink

Btw I’m the kind of person that does not wear brand names that are visibly displayed because I don’t want to cause pressure to my peers and neighbors and community, and also because in many cases I don’t think it’s classy.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:12 am
If its a milestone gift and you can afford it and you want it, why wouldn't you get real? I don't get jewelry often but when I do I get real classic pieces (eternity band, tennis necklace etc...). I see it as investment and that it's something I can always pass down to my kids, and I enjoy knowing I have real stuff. For trendy stuff I would buy fake because I don't see the value in having real.

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:13 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Voice of dissent lol
I like real jewelery. Especially classic timeless pieces like what you're considering. A tennis bracelet, an eternity band...these aren't going out if style. From what you're saying, it seems like fake won't "hit the spot" and everytime you get a compliment you'll feel like you need to blurt "it's not real!"

Same. I rather (and do!) get one nice real piece every 10 years Rather then fakes every year. To me jewelry is a feeling that you can’t replicate with fake.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:32 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Voice of dissent lol

They're not going out of style, but they're dated to a certain extent. When a classic becomes THE style for a time, the years immediately following it bring along the assumption that you bought it during that time period. Since tennis bracelets have been the style for some time now, that will soon change. It will be assumed then that those who wear the tennis bracelets all bought it during that time period.

This is particularly relevant to the communities who put an emphasis on conformity.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:37 am
Best compromise is lab grown diamonds
They are beautiful perfect real stones for half the price
I have a beautiful eternity band
Tell your friends your husband bought it- he knows a guy...

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:39 am
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
They're not going out of style, but they're dated to a certain extent. When a classic becomes THE style for a time, the years immediately following it bring along the assumption that you bought it during that time period. Since tennis bracelets have been the style for some time now, that will soon change. It will be assumed then that those who wear the tennis bracelets all bought it during that time period.

This is particularly relevant to the communities who put an emphasis on conformity.

When do you think tennis bracelets will go out of style? Thinking of getting one but don't want it to look dumb soon? What's going to be the next thing?

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:41 am
amother [ Canary ] wrote:
When do you think tennis bracelets will go out of style? Thinking of getting one but don't want it to look dumb soon? What's going to be the next thing?

I'm the last person to ask this. I don't follow styles, I just buy what I like. I am considered weird in my community where everyone conforms, but I don't care. I'd rather enjoy and love what I'm wearing than wear the same as everyone else.

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:48 am
I used to be much more into real diamonds. My engagement ring is real, I have a few pieces with real diamonds/real gold from when I was single and bought them myself, and DH bought me a pair of real diamond studs that I basically wear every single day.
But I don't want any more real diamonds. I will probably get an eternity band on etsy for the next milestone anniversary. There is so much nice, good quality fake jewelry out there.
I have sold several pieces which were real gold, that I know I'll never wear again.
My kids are of bar mitzvah and marriageable age and I don't need to have huge pieces just for the sake of wearing them to simchas. I'd rather get something inexpensive that goes with whatever gown I happen to be wearing and fits with the way I will style my shaitel. Then I can get a new piece for each simcha.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:55 am
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
I used to be much more into real diamonds. My engagement ring is real, I have a few pieces with real diamonds/real gold from when I was single and bought them myself, and DH bought me a pair of real diamond studs that I basically wear every single day.
But I don't want any more real diamonds. I will probably get an eternity band on etsy for the next milestone anniversary. There is so much nice, good quality fake jewelry out there.
I have sold several pieces which were real gold, that I know I'll never wear again.
My kids are of bar mitzvah and marriageable age and I don't need to have huge pieces just for the sake of wearing them to simchas. I'd rather get something inexpensive that goes with whatever gown I happen to be wearing and fits with the way I will style my shaitel. Then I can get a new piece for each simcha.

Diamonds go with everything Smile

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:56 am
amother [ Canary ] wrote:

No way. They’re classic.

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 9:01 am
amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:
Diamonds go with everything Smile

Not all styles of necklace or earrings will go with every gown or shaitel style.

Lovable

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:13 am
amother [ Apple ] wrote:
Same. I rather (and do!) get one nice real piece every 10 years Rather then fakes every year. To me jewelry is a feeling that you can’t replicate with fake.

Same, Same
To me it makes nor difference what people think
To me, wearing a nice real piece of jewelry makes me feel good.
Some people just dont understand to it, what can I say

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:54 am
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:

Tennis bracelets became popular with Jimmy Connors gave one to Chris Evert in the 1970s. Although that part of the story may be apocryphal. But certainly because Evert wore one when she played.
Anyway, after more than 40 years, they're not going anywhere. (FTR, I don't particularly care for tennis bracelets.)

I have 2 eternity bands. One was gifted to my aunt (a"h) in the mid-50s, and the other belonged to my grandmother (a"h) from the 40s, maybe earlier. You could buy them in a store today. They're not going anywhere.

Even the highest quality CZ does not look like a diamond. That's not going to make a huge difference in very small stones like a tennis bracelet, but will in solitaire rings or other larger stones. I happen to be wearing a pair of high-quality CZ studs, set in 14K. But I know that anyone who knows what they are looking at would know they're fake. OTOH, if they get stuck in a mask and disappear, I won't be nearly as upset.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:51 pm
For those who think that eternity rings and tennis bracelets are timeless, I have one word for you: pearls.

There was a time when everyone had a strand or two of pearls and wore them regularly, maybe even with pearl stud earrings. Pearls were in style for a long time. Now they look dated.

Again, buy whatever jewelry you want, but don't delude yourself. Styles change.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 2:25 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Voice of dissent lol

yes! you get it. and I would so need to blurt out that it's not real!

happy to see all the "real" diamond lovers chiming in Smile
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics