Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Real or fake diamond jewelry?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:23 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
For those who think that eternity rings and tennis bracelets are timeless, I have one word for you: pearls.

There was a time when everyone had a strand or two of pearls and wore them regularly, maybe even with pearl stud earrings. Pearls were in style for a long time. Now they look dated.

Again, buy whatever jewelry you want, but don't delude yourself. Styles change.

People still wear pearls. Joc Pederson wears his every day.

And while a lone strand of pearls isn't trending, pearls combined with other stones or metals is trending. You can mimic the look by combining a strand of pearls with a chunky gold necklace.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:30 pm
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
Not all styles of necklace or earrings will go with every gown or shaitel style.

Classic diamond pieces go with everything. My tennis bracelet, diamond necklace and diamond earrings go with every outfit I have.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:41 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

And while a lone strand of pearls isn't trending, pearls combined with other stones or metals is trending. You can mimic the look by combining a strand of pearls with a chunky gold necklace.

I must say that baseball and pearls is a strange combination.

Fox

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:42 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

I love this! Just shows that pearls are always in good taste!

SuperWify

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:43 pm
amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:
Classic diamond pieces go with everything. My tennis bracelet, diamond necklace and diamond earrings go with every outfit I have.

ITA. I wear diamond studs, a small single Diamond necklace, my engagement ring on one hand and eternity band on the other every day.

It’s classy and not too flashy.

My DH thinks Diamonds are overpriced expensive stones (in truth, that’s what they are) but luckily for me I still get milestone jewelry.

I would love to wear all sorts of cool statement earrings for certain outfits but alas my ears are very high maintenance and only allow me to wear 18k gold or they get irritated.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:57 pm
SuperWify wrote:

Would you rather music? Maybe we should just lend them to our menfolk.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 4:00 pm
Fox wrote:
I love this! Just shows that pearls are always in good taste!

Well, the Braves are in the NLCS.

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 4:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
the jewelry I have in mind is the kind that is meant to be diamonds, like an eternity band, so I would consider a gold with CZ fake in this case. if it was a more stylish/less classic piece I wouldn't think of it as "fake"

I dont think they look they same.
the cz stone won't sparkle the same as the real diamonds.
if you can afford it why don't you go with manufactured diamonds. chemically it is a diamond, just not mined from the earth and is just as strong and sparkly...
I plan on doing that...

SuperWify

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 4:32 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Yes. That’s cool. It totally goes.

Now I know who to sell my untouched pearls to…

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 4:49 pm
imaima wrote:
Gifts are my love language too. Totally get you.
If it is a milestone gift, I would want it to be real.
If stam, then it can be a fun less precious piece.
I have now seen a stunning brandname eternity band with saphires which is much cheaper than the same brand name diamond eternity band and I may "put it on my wishlist". Wink

Can you share? I’ve been looking for an out of the box piece.

mommyX2

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 12:38 am
Are tennis bangles as timeless as regular tennis bracelets? Or are those more of a "style" that will go out of style ? Are they even "in style" now? Smile

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:33 am
I’d get lab grown diamonds. Look literally the same. They are totally real just made in a lab.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 7:48 am
I never saw the logic of wearing a down payment around my neck.
I like costume jewelry. I like a variety that matches my outfit. They’re clearly fake but who cares? To me it’s just an accessory like a scarf.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:02 am
I enjoy real gold. It’s hot. I sweat. It’s Israel. I wash my hands a million times a day and shower.

I want something that will be able to withstand that.

Coated and plated and goldfilled just doesn’t. Won’t last more than 3 months of daily wear by me.

amother
Lily

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:15 am
I'm not a fan of jewelry with faux precious metals and stones. Complete costume jewelry that doesn't pretend to be what it isn't--say, wood, bone, shell, or resin--is IMO like a scarf, iow a decoration being worn to pull an outfit together. Precious jewelry, otoh, is a way of showing off one's wealth, and wearing fake is imo dishonest. If I'm going to wear something that looks like gold and diamonds, it better BE gold and diamonds. They may be tiny--in fact I have exactly two pieces and they are very "discreet"--but they're real.

Unfortunately, my dh buys me fakes now and then. I wear them mostly at home. I'm embarrassed to be seen wearing fakes even though I know everyone else is doing the same. At least my fakes "could" be real because they, too, are discreet. When you wear a necklace that can double as a horse collar, the assumption is it's fake, unless you're the Queen of England (in which case it's probably also fake for security reasons, but a duplicate of the real one that's in the safe.)

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:17 am
SixOfWands wrote:

Barf.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:55 am
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
I'm not a fan of jewelry with faux precious metals and stones. Complete costume jewelry that doesn't pretend to be what it isn't--say, wood, bone, shell, or resin--is IMO like a scarf, iow a decoration being worn to pull an outfit together. Precious jewelry, otoh, is a way of showing off one's wealth, and wearing fake is imo dishonest. If I'm going to wear something that looks like gold and diamonds, it better BE gold and diamonds. They may be tiny--in fact I have exactly two pieces and they are very "discreet"--but they're real.

Unfortunately, my dh buys me fakes now and then. I wear them mostly at home. I'm embarrassed to be seen wearing fakes even though I know everyone else is doing the same. At least my fakes "could" be real because they, too, are discreet. When you wear a necklace that can double as a horse collar, the assumption is it's fake, unless you're the Queen of England (in which case it's probably also fake for security reasons, but a duplicate of the real one that's in the safe.)

So this is basically admitting that the purpose of wearing jewelry is to flaunt your wealth rather than to look pretty.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:34 am
I’m all about fake jewelry. When I was a teen I used to think it was crazy to spend so much money for an engagement ring and all my friends said when you get engaged you’ll want a real ring. They couldn’t be more right 😂 but aside from that and my diamond kallah bracelet everything else I own is fake. (Sometimes real gold but not precious stones.). I like having a lot of jewelry, changing up variety, getting new stuff frequently so that’s why I love fake. I recently bought this ring from kohls https://www.kohls.com/product/.....t.jsp

I’ve gotten so many compliments on it (it looks prettier IRL then on the website). I always feel the need to tell people it’s from kohls when they compliment me. Is that weird? One woman I said that too (who definitely reals wear jewelry) was like “well you would never know!” And I thought really?? People would think I’d wear a ring with multiple precious stones just on a casual weekday? (Also wasn’t even sure if these “gems” were supposed to resemble real stones. I just like color 😂)

amother
Lily

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:51 am
SuperWify wrote:
And an unsafe one. Neck jewelry and heavy physical activity don't mix. Then again, I have always hated the look of jewelry on men anyway. It's turned my stomach since childhood. I can just about abide cufflinks. They, at least, serve a function. A totally unnecessary function once buttons were invented, but still a function.

amother
Canary

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:52 am
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
I’m all about fake jewelry. When I was a teen I used to think it was crazy to spend so much money for an engagement ring and all my friends said when you get engaged you’ll want a real ring. They couldn’t be more right 😂 but aside from that and my diamond kallah bracelet everything else I own is fake. (Sometimes real gold but not precious stones.). I like having a lot of jewelry, changing up variety, getting new stuff frequently so that’s why I love fake. I recently bought this ring from kohls https://www.kohls.com/product/.....t.jsp

I’ve gotten so many compliments on it (it looks prettier IRL then on the website). I always feel the need to tell people it’s from kohls when they compliment me. Is that weird? One woman I said that too (who definitely reals wear jewelry) was like “well you would never know!” And I thought really?? People would think I’d wear a ring with multiple precious stones just on a casual weekday? (Also wasn’t even sure if these “gems” were supposed to resemble real stones. I just like color 😂)

Love that brand!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics