Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Takeout food while in kollel
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:02 pm
If you are "in kollel" (or were, and can respond about that time), I'm wondering how much you spend on takeout food. Either per week, per month, per year, or on what occasions.
In my current situation, we b"H have higher income than expenses. So we CAN choose to spend more money on convenience food. But, we anticipate future expenses increasing faster than income, so we try to save as much as we can. Assuming you have at least some flexibility in your budget, a small family (because the increased cost is a lot higher for a big family, so that's a totally different question), and you view takeout food as something you would potentially want & is available in your area, how much do you spend on it?
I consider "takeout food" to include going out to eat as well as buying ready-made food (from a grocery takeout counter, for example). If you like, you can also include frozen, premade foods that you would buy for convenience.

ETA: doesn't only apply if in kollel. Can be anyone on a relatively restricted budget and small family.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:10 pm
We do takeout a handful of times a year.

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you are "in kollel" (or were, and can respond about that time), I'm wondering how much you spend on takeout food. Either per week, per month, per year, or on what occasions.
In my current situation, we b"H have higher income than expenses. So we CAN choose to spend more money on convenience food. But, we anticipate future expenses increasing faster than income, so we try to save as much as we can. Assuming you have at least some flexibility in your budget, a small family (because the increased cost is a lot higher for a big family, so that's a totally different question), and you view takeout food as something you would potentially want & is available in your area, how much do you spend on it?
I consider "takeout food" to include going out to eat as well as buying ready-made food (from a grocery takeout counter, for example). If you like, you can also include frozen, premade foods that you would buy for convenience.

ETA: doesn't only apply if in kollel. Can be anyone on a relatively restricted budget and small family.

When DH was in kollel we ate takeout food (ready made takeout counter/eating out) as a real treat. Once every couple of months. Or less

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:13 pm
Instead of buying takeout put that $50 a month into an investment account and watch it grow.

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:22 pm
we are totally full on Kolel!
And we saved... and bought a house.
Way more worthwhile then takeout!! Thats my advice to you hun Smile

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:24 pm
My dh and I both work. We never do takeout. Maybe pizza a few times a year. It is so expensive I don't understand how people spend that much on a weekly basis.

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:28 pm
When it’s needed and crucial for the functioning of the house or our mental health. For example -

1. When one or both parents have to work extra overtime and there is no way cooking will happen and kids have already eaten cereal and eggs that day

2. For a super special reward for children to enforce good behavior (ie, we went out to eat to celebrate how children davened over YT which is a very challenging mitzva for them) or for a bribe for a child undergoing a difficult dentist doctor or therapist visit (ie ice cream after getting shots, etc.)

3. When coming home super late from a trip and starting to prep food would put bedtime hours later

4. During challenging pregnancies or when mom isn’t feeling well ordering food can be a lifesaver (during this first trimester I could barely move but kids needed to eat and my preteens couldn’t stand any more pizza or sandwiches anymore after a few weeks)

5. When embarking on a big trip (ie on the way to a wedding or airport or long trip where time is of essence) we will buy ready made or partially ready made food (like deli plus bread) so mom can pack instead of cook. Also in reverse when we come home and I’m ready to collapse!!

That being said on a daily basis I rarely buy ready made food in my groceries. Maybe after I give birth I will buy ready made cake or cookies for dessert on Shabbat instead of baking like I do now. I don’t think this is a healthy outlook (frugality is not a religion and I only have limited energy and I’m pretty sure Hashem would want me to buy takeout and be a better mom) but I’m very frugal for better or worse and worry terribly about money (which we often don’t have enough of to buy takeout even if I would want to.)

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:29 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
When it’s needed and crucial for the functioning of the house or our mental health. For example -

1. When one or both parents have to work extra overtime and there is no way cooking will happen and kids have already eaten cereal and eggs that day

2. For a super special reward for children to enforce good behavior (ie, we went out to eat to celebrate how children davened over YT which is a very challenging mitzva for them) or for a bribe for a child undergoing a difficult dentist doctor or therapist visit (ie ice cream after getting shots, etc.)

3. When coming home super late from a trip and starting to prep food would put bedtime hours later

4. During challenging pregnancies or when mom isn’t feeling well ordering food can be a lifesaver (during this first trimester I could barely move but kids needed to eat and my preteens couldn’t stand any more pizza or sandwiches anymore after a few weeks)

5. When embarking on a big trip (ie on the way to a wedding or airport or long trip where time is of essence) we will buy ready made or partially ready made food (like deli plus bread) so mom can pack instead of cook. Also in reverse when we come home and I’m ready to collapse!!

That being said on a daily basis I rarely buy ready made food in my groceries. Maybe after I give birth I will buy ready made cake or cookies for dessert on Shabbat instead of baking like I do now. I don’t think this is a healthy outlook (frugality is not a religion and I only have limited energy and I’m pretty sure Hashem would want me to buy takeout and be a better mom) but I’m very frugal for better or worse and worry terribly about money (which we often don’t have enough of to buy takeout even if I would want to.)

Exactly this. Kollel wife of 9 years bh

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:30 pm
And one more -
6. For special occasions a few times a year I go out with dh. It’s crucial for our marriage. Maybe $300 total a year and I recall each one of those occasions over the past decade plus plus with crystal clear fond memories and treasure them. I can remember what we ate 13 years ago and what we talked about! That’s worth the money to me.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:45 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:

Not in Kollel. But very limited budget. Same exact response!!

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:51 pm
This is a tough one for me- it’s the one area I splurge on - but believe me - we’re frugal in EVERY other area.
But hey- everyone needs some sort of outlet , right?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:40 pm
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
This is a tough one for me- it’s the one area I splurge on - but believe me - we’re frugal in EVERY other area.
But hey- everyone needs some sort of outlet , right?

I agree. Everyone has their small luxuries they spend money on that are worth it to them. As long as it fits in your budget, give yourself a break. Hiding

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:46 pm
Pizza bedikas chametz night. :-) Our yearly takeout. We can afford more BH, but would rather save it for a rainy day.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:49 pm
Kollel 27 years: never buy takeout
Pizza once in a blue moon

Sewsew_mom

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:57 pm
If that's your place you want to spend money why does it matter what other people do. If I didn't have the 100$ to eat out, than I don't think it would make a difference in buying a house.
If I spend 500$ a year on takeout or even 1k- multiply that by 10 years - 10k ain't gonna buy me a house.. Barely would buy me the front door.
So by all means if you have the extra few dollars and feel like it'll help you or your situation your the only one to be able to make the call.
Someone may find spending money on specific shoes is very important, while you'll spend 1/4 the amount. Everyone budgets differently to what seems important to them.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:59 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
If that's your place you want to spend money why does it matter what other people do. If I didn't have the 100$ to eat out, than I don't think it would make a difference in buying a house.
If I spend 500$ a year on takeout or even 1k- multiply that by 10 years - 10k ain't gonna buy me a house.. Barely would buy me the front door.
So by all means if you have the extra few dollars and feel like it'll help you or your situation your the only one to be able to make the call.
Someone may find spending money on specific shoes is very important, while you'll spend 1/4 the amount. Everyone budgets differently to what seems important to them.

If you would have invested that 500-1000 each year, it would be a lot more than 10,000!

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:59 pm
I buy now, only because we get so much food stamps but in the earlier years we did it maybe once or twice a year.

Sewsew_mom

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:07 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
If you would have invested that 500-1000 each year, it would be a lot more than 10,000!

Your saying invested. I'm saying save. We're not speaking the same language.
Even if you invested 500$ a year for 10 years you ain't getting a house. Unless you strike it rich in some crazy stock that totally is hit or miss.

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:18 pm
It can add up incredibly fast- sushi is 30$ each time. Ice coffees can be 6$. It can be a few thousand a year easily for us. And we never do restaurants just pizza store/ ice coffee.

We are not in kollel. Had 2 pregnancies, PPD and didn’t prioritize budgeting. Working to reign it in now.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:22 pm
7 years in kollel. We went out for birthdays and anniversaries.

The only time I remember buying ready-made food was during one pregnancy when I absolutely could not touch raw chicken or meat. I'd buy chicken for Shabbos and it felt so weird spending that much money on something I could have made in twenty minutes. It was a few Shabbosim in a row, and then I was able to go back to normal B"H.

My husband has been out of kollel for a decade now, and we haven't changed much. But I work from home PT. If I worked FT, I'm sure things would be different. But we'd also be in a different tax bracket , so there's that Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics