Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to respond when people say this
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:31 pm
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
Does every comment warrant a response? I once made the booboo to compliment a person's daughter on their gorgeous unusual hair. Instead of a thank you I got a "she's more than just her hair" comment. The response was out of line and bizarre to me. And, no, I never want to have anything to do with her even though we daven in same shul and kids go to same school. I wasn't some random stranger.

Thanks. Right exactly the point, I just want it say something neutral that moves the attention on to the next topic without drawing more attn, sounding gloaty, or making anyone uncomfortable

Thanks for all the replies

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 9:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
One of my children has an unusually beautiful/striking appearance. Too young to understand currently, but I get comments wherever we go. About how gorgeous or about the eyes etc. I'm grateful for this blessing, however I don't feel comfortable with the comments. Currently the child is too young to understand, but sometimes it's like among a group of other people and it's just unwanted attention. I am also thinking ahead to when the child is older and I do not want them to get infatuated.

What is a good appropriate response that sounds humble? For some reason when I say thank you, I feel strange since I do not deserve any credit for this... Baruch Hashem also seems like an awkward response. This is not such a big deal but I'm just wondering if anyone has any good lines to respond to these comments.

same situation,
I say "yeah we have a good recipe"
just to shove it off with a joke. makes me the most comfortable. I understand you why BH feels awkward, I know the feeling
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics