Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Chizzuk needed - your Learning disabled child as an adult
Previous  1  2

workingmom24/6

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:18 pm
Hi 2nd grade mom
I joined imamother just to respond to your post
Your daughter is and will be perfectly fine. I have learning disabilities that had me struggle from primary through 12th grade. It did not effect me in a negative way though the going was rough for a good few years. I came out of school with a skill set few others have, how to handle real life! Life is not an easy ride and your daughter is just learning it sooner than others (in no way am I implying that other children don't struggle in completely different areas as well).
Validate that it's hard but empower her that she can handle this, and even handle it well. Definitely get her a tutor to help with homework and tests but be very very careful its not one that will nebach her (I had one at one point who thought I was mentally impaired). Try and find one that she can stay with for a good few years and build a relationship with.
Feel free to ask me questions
Yours
Someone who was tutored from primary through 11th grade and now runs a business

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you are nicely trying to tell me to put her in a special school I specifically asked the school last year and they said she 100 percent belongs in a mainstream school and yes she does need support which she is bh getting (although I really wish I saw more results....)
j

Any child who behaves well enough to be in a mainstream school should do that.

Because children in special schools / class rooms pick up bad behavior from other special kids
and end up with bad social skills.

good social skills are more important then academic skills.

So mainstream, and get some 1:1 tutoring in school and/or after school.

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:23 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]I had her evaluated extensively and there is bh no specific issue just a general learning issue and adhd to top it off so getting her to focus and have decent executive functions adds to the challenge. She did best in school with the young fun teachers who gave her time of day and weren't stuck on their methods yet. Also, if I am looking for someone to come to the house 5 days a week for a half hour only a post sem girl will really take a job like that.[/quote.]
That’s good my dd also gets a lot of services and gets help and was held over once already we use a reading teacher 2x a week it’s been amazing I am hoping to have some hs girls doing some fun activities with her if hw is a struggle talk to the teacher about what to do. Bh for now we are sticking to regular mainstream school with a lot of pull out I am just hoping for the best . Did you try meds for the adhd I do get the hesitation if not but I used them for my add a bit in school and it really helped me focus

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:24 pm
Many LD kids are very successful out of school.

Don't only concentrate on what yr child is NOT good at (academics)

Find yr child's talents / interests and encourage that - and get lessons.

Whether it is cooking /baking art, singing, dancing - these talents can turn into a parnassah.

Even if it doesn't, important for LD kid to be good at something.

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:30 pm
Key is an evaluation to know why she struggles. Is it dyslexia? Adhd? Does she have vision issues? My daughter has adhd and medication helped a lot. Its not a solution but it helps. There are plenty of people who struggle academically who are successful in the adult world but they have to get through childhood first. She doesnt have to be an A student but you need to find out why school work is so overwhelming.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:33 pm
I was that learning disabled girl, had a super super hard time in school, was well liked but never really had friends in school, some years were abnormally hard,
I always thought I will be a failure for life,

But looking back all those hardships made me in to the person I am now, not looking to brag, just want to give you chizzuk ( which I wished someone would have told me back then)
As soon as I left school I got a great job, ( they came begging for me)
I got engaged pretty fast ( they came begging for me)
Everything turned around for the good…..
I am bh happily married, have the most amazing family, organized house, lots of friends…..

My kids are bh doing amazing in school ( which I credit for all the tifflos and tears I shed as a girl in school that my kids shouldn’t have to suffer like I did)

Hang in there, school is just a couple if yrs of life…..

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 9:42 pm
amother [ Clear ] wrote:
I was that learning disabled girl, had a super super hard time in school, was well liked but never really had friends in school, some years were abnormally hard,
I always thought I will be a failure for life,

But looking back all those hardships made me in to the person I am now, not looking to brag, just want to give you chizzuk ( which I wished someone would have told me back then)
As soon as I left school I got a great job, ( they came begging for me)
I got engaged pretty fast ( they came begging for me)
Everything turned around for the good…..
I am bh happily married, have the most amazing family, organized house, lots of friends…..

My kids are bh doing amazing in school ( which I credit for all the tifflos and tears I shed as a girl in school that my kids shouldn’t have to suffer like I did)

Hang in there, school is just a couple if yrs of life…..

Very encouraging.

Thanks for sharing!

behappy2

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 10:31 pm
The biggest thing you want to do is protect is her self concept. Make life much bigger than just school. Get her interested in lots of things outside school. Make family life pleasant and happy. Advocate for her in school. Don't stress over homework. 5 minutes tops and then close the book. Let the teacher know it's a battle. No teacher will want a student to go through all that for homework.

I know this doesn't answer your question but just my little piece of advice.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:42 pm
Post deleted

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 12:01 am
delete

amother
Dill

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 12:11 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Post deleted

This is so inspiring, your daughter is very resilient and this story is incredible, congrats to her and to you, the way you handled her education is an example!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics