Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Cost of bar mitzvah in hotel for Shabbos?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:37 am
What’s the approx cost of a bar mitzvah in a hotel over Shabbos? A regular hotel- nothing cheap but nothing extravagant.
I’m guessing about 70 people (including kids).
Tri state area

amother
Whitewash

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:41 am
Call the caterer you plan on using. They should be able to give you a number.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:44 am
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
Call the caterer you plan on using. They should be able to give you a number.

I have no idea which caterer and which hotel. I just want to hear ballpark numbers.

Bakovodik, respectable but not high end.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:53 am
It is very dependent on what you are covering. Will you pay for your guests' hotel rooms or will you just cover meals? Most hotels (except kosher ones) have a ballroom fee and then a charge for the food when you are using your own kosher caterer. They may also charge for snack bags that you provide and require you to pay for their waitstaff. If you need a separate room for davening, that will have an additional charge. Some have alcohol and beverage minimums. There is a Doubletree in Tarrytown, NY that makes Shabbos events and understands the process. When I was looking, it would have been about $25-30K for the type of numbers you are describing and that was without covering guest lodging. I imagine that there are places in Brooklyn and Monsey that might have different pricing. Depending on your hashgafa/desired hashgacha, there was also a Jewish camp in Connecticut called Isabella Freedman that had good pricing. I could see this working better for a MO family. The Stamford CT Holiday Inn has frum ownership and does Jewish events. The more legwork you are willing to do, the more likely that you could save money. For example, if you are willing to bring your guests to a less expensive area further away from NYC that doesn't have a Jewish community and bring in all the things you will need to have the event (shtenders, bima, Torah, caterer) you will probably have a more cost effective event. Mazal Tov and good luck.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have no idea which caterer and which hotel. I just want to hear ballpark numbers.

Bakovodik, respectable but not high end.

We have done afew family hotel shabbos. You can expect it to be minimum $20K.

amother
Forsythia

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:57 am
You need to make some calls. Prices will differ tremendously based on location. Think about the last 3-4 places that either you went or heard of people using. Call them and ask.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:23 am
Yes I do want to pay for guest lodgings.

Wow 25-30 k before guests is more than I thought

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:30 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
We have done afew family hotel shabbos. You can expect it to be minimum $20K.

With or without paying for the guests’ rooms?

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
With or without paying for the guests’ rooms?

This is with 1 night guest rooms. It's on the lower side. It can be anywhere between 20k-50k or more depending on what you're doing.

wtvr

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:08 pm
We looked into a Shabbos at the kosher hotels in the Catskills, and it was approx $10k for 40 ppl, half of them kids, to give you an idea. This includes 2 nights.
Keep in mind, that if you're using a more standard type hotel, and you don't want to pay for a second night, you need to arrange for a place for people to keep their stuff, and also there's nowhere for them to have go in the afternoon if they want to rest etc.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:11 pm
wtvr wrote:
We looked into a Shabbos at the kosher hotels in the Catskills, and it was approx $10k for 40 ppl, half of them kids, to give you an idea. This includes 2 nights.
Keep in mind, that if you're using a more standard type hotel, and you don't want to pay for a second night, you need to arrange for a place for people to keep their stuff, and also there's nowhere for them to have go in the afternoon if they want to rest etc.

You can arrange with the hotel to check out on Motzei shabbos. We've done this plenty of times. They charge a bit extra but not a full night.
Our shabbosim are arrange by people that do it as a business. They take care of everything, booking the hotel, food, shul.....

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:09 am
wtvr wrote:

I am thinking of doing this would you be able to tell me which places specifically you looked into?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:10 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
You can arrange with the hotel to check out on Motzei shabbos. We've done this plenty of times. They charge a bit extra but not a full night.
Our shabbosim are arrange by people that do it as a business. They take care of everything, booking the hotel, food, shul.....

Do you have names and contact info of people that do this?

emesisthetruth

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 12:45 pm
I Looked into this.
Caterers will charge $200 + a Person.
then they charge for waiters and mashgiach that comes out to atleast another $65-$75 a person.
so 70 people will cost you around $20k + Tax.
then the hotel is around $120 a night x 2 nights is $240 a room.
50 rooms is $12k.
the caterer needs rooms also. keep in mind.
then the hotel charged $5000 for the ballroom and a place for the shul. and then was 14% tax and fees.
the total estimate came to around $50k before we event started on anything else that is required like little thing like guest boxes and clothing and tablecloths and flowers.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Oct 20 2023, 1:22 am
wtvr wrote:

Was this including catering?
If you don’t mind what hotel was it?

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Fri, Oct 20 2023, 1:43 am
When we did the calculations, going to a basic hotel together with catering and hiring waiters was cheaper than doing it in our shules simcha room with full catering and service, getting rooms by neighbors and buying them a mechubadike gift to thank them. I baked in advance, bought chocolates, dry fruit, nuts, crackers, chips, candy, cut fruit and popped popcorn, brought shnapps and drinks for a Friday night post meal gathering (including hot water urn and tea sense), for a kiddish after shule, and afternoon nosh. Since it was summer I brought cheesecake which the place almost didnt let me leave in their fridge so get advance ok on that. I also brought some board games for the kids, and my husband added learning sheets which was a hit. I had some Tylenol and bandaids available. Oh and COFFEE!!! Printing a schedule kept us all on the same page. Prepare besamim in small bags for havdalla so all can sniff together.
It was really pleasant, We got great pictures before Shabbos as we were all together and a post Shabbos -post Havdalla picture really brought home the joy of the event.
We missed sharing the event with our neighbors but enjoyed to closeness of being together and not spread out over Shabbos.

Mazal Tov!! Enjoy.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 12:55 pm
Bumping up. Looking for hotel in monsey/Catskill area for a family shabbos that's will let us bring in our own food.

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 1:29 pm
You can try https://rosesmountinn.com/ in Tannersville, NY.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 3:16 pm
You can rent a large house so you can for sure bring your own food- some of them can host a lot of people. look at https://www.mbshabbos.com. Also MB is low priced event planner and she's a pleasure to work with...

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 4:32 pm
I've used mbshabbos for our shabbos chanukah get together and she is amazing. Miriam remembers every detail and so affordable...highly recommended
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics