Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do any of you grade papers as a side job?
Previous  1  2

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:44 am
I've actually outsourced to former students too I realized. One year I was split between elementary school and middle school, with a middle school lunch duty. I had a few middle schoolers who liked to help grade my elementary Chumash tests. They joined me at my desk and checked the Al mi neemar and mi Amar El mi. I was overseeing all 3 of them at once so I could see patterns, but it was faster than doing it myself.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 3:00 am
I was a math major in university and graded the Calc 1 and 2 homework. There were a few of us doing it, I think we got $70/week for I guess like 3 classes twice/week each? Something like that, I don't remember the details.

DrMom

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 5:36 am
nicole81 wrote:
I'm going to be frank here, teachers who outsource should probably take a step back and decide if this is the right career for them. No k-12 educator should ever outsource their grading, save for an extreme emergency with the knowledge that they're doing the bare minimum just to get through that point in time.

And if you're a teacher who doesn't see why outsourcing their particular assessments is problematic, speak to a mentor in the field. Your students' work is an instructional gold mine.

So I've helped derail this thread but op, sorry. I hope you can find a situation that works for you. But I'd like to know if a teacher was outsourcing, because I certainly wouldn't want my children to be their students.

ITA with every word.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 6:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That $5 an hour could be great for someone!

I can't imagine why someone would choose to work for $5 an hour (for maybe 2-4 hours a week) unless they're under 10 years old.

No adult would work for that little doing the least fun job. Especially being in the writing field a editing job should pay $5 a page if not more...

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:34 am
I’m an English teacher and though marking takes up a lot of time (around three hours a day—I teach high school, so I have a lot of students), I would never outsource any of it. Especially when it comes to writing. I feel like a large part of my job/the way I teach is through the feedback I give on their assignments and they use that feedback to improve (the workshop model).

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:28 am
I’ve heard of former teachers being paid to mark regents where essays are written.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:59 am
[quote="nicole81"] But I'd like to know if a teacher was outsourcing, because I certainly wouldn't want my children to be their students.[/quote] you'd pull your child out of the class/school if the teacher was outsourcing the grading of her/his papers?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics